Running

Any fell runners on here?

Just got back from Fort William for the Ben Nevis race.

Fantastic event, the winning time usually comes in around 1hr 30mins. For 9 miles up and down the mountain, incline of 40% in places, that is outrageous.

Fantastic event, the winning time usually comes in around 1hr 30mins. For 9 miles up and down the mountain, incline of 40% in places, that is outrageous.

I ran on the fells for years (up until last year with Rochdale Harriers.) Serious illness has stopped my running, I miss it immensely. Enjoy it while you can, it's a fantastic sport. ☺

I ran on the fells for years (up until last year with Rochdale Harriers.) Serious illness has stopped my running, I miss it immensely. Enjoy it while you can, it's a fantastic sport. ☺

I've done the Knowl Hill race a couple of times. Hard graft getting up that bank.

Is that you Danbert Nocurry? Come back to the FRA forum we miss you!

It's a hard slog of pain and regret.

The regret kicks in halfway up when you feel like collapsing in a heap and wishing you were down in Fort William getting drunk. :)

I was about 20mins past halfway when Finlay Wild came charging back down the other way. Unreal athlete. 8 wins on the bounce for him.

What other sport sees the top boys compete alongside dickheads like me in the same field and then all have a beer afterwards. Love it

Having seen the shape of the average city fan rocking up at the Etihad, I'm staggered this thread has managed to reach double figures over the 2 years since it was started tbh. Not exactly the healthiest looking bunch of people I've ever seen.
Anyway get us another lager in while I just finish the other pie.

By the time your 53 if you are anything like me, you'll be in need of new joints all over the place.

My advice as an ex professional frogman (who had to be superfit back in the day) try this.

First bin the running.

But to get your cardio vascular work out from sports with less impact on your joints try, cycling which is great, as is swimming.

Try this exercise for swimming:

We used to call them unders and overs, and they will make you fitter than ever, your lung capacity will increase no end.

So you swim a length of your local baths with front crawl as fast as you can (overs), then you relax whilst you swim the return length back underwater (unders). Repeat by however many you want, however as an ex diver, I got to the situation were I could swim a mile on top of the water and a mile underneath of the water.

That will take you to different level of fitness trust me.

However if you really want to punish your body by running, then to get really fit try "Fartlek" running. Which basically is jog a lampost and sprint a lampost.

Good luck!!
Fartlek running.
Never heard it called that before. I used to do something similar to that up Factory Lane near the Asda Harpurhay. I would run to the first lampost walk back down for a breather then run to the second and so on till I had to run the whole hill...and it is a hill.
That was when I was 15, 16 I ran plenty of Men's 10k's at that age and remember running times of around 33.00 minutes. Ones I can definitely remember are 2.02 for 800m 4.07 for 1500m. I was going to enter the London marathon until it was pointed out I would be the youngest ever competitor it was my 18th birthday on the Sunday of the race 21/04/1991. One of my life regrets not doing it.
Not ran for years now but walk everywhere.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.