Running

"3 Days in May" Hayfield fell races start tonight

Tonight's race is a short sharp 3 miler up and down Lantern Pike

Cracking run

I stopped smoking a few months ago and piled on the stones, from about 14 to 17 stone.

Started the couch to 5k today.....proper bolloxed, checked out a point to point distance calculator and did this....Pretty impressed for such an out of shape fat ****.

I stopped smoking a few months ago and piled on the stones, from about 14 to 17 stone.

Started the couch to 5k today.....proper bolloxed, checked out a point to point distance calculator and did this....Pretty impressed for such an out of shape fat ****.

Well done pal. Does get easier quite quickly. I went from no exercise in 15 years to started jogging in March. Done a couple of 5k Parkruns last month. Still smoking though and haven't lost an ounce of weight since I started running

Well done pal. Does get easier quite quickly. I went from no exercise in 15 years to started jogging in March. Done a couple of 5k Parkruns last month. Still smoking though and haven't lost an ounce of weight since I started running
Thanks pal.
I have started a meal replacement shake diet too, trying to stay within 1500-2000 calories per day (not strict but healthier, no bread (except nann when i have a curry...fuck em :), fresh cooked stuff instead of easy meals. That should shift the pounds. I lost about an inch in girth(no weight but size is my issue not mass) with just the diet so hopefully banging some runs in will speed it up.

I've always walked everywhere at a fair old pace, so my legs are pretty much toned, but carrying the extra tonnage is playing fuck with my already dodgy old knees. :)

Picked up an old electric treadmill from a charity shop last week too, so if the weather goes tits up i can still carry on inside.

Any tips for increasing your stamina?

I'm restarting the gym on Monday after more than a year of not going and I could never really do more than 20 mins on the treadmill at a good pace. My muscles wouldn't give up on me but eventually my breathing became harder until I had to stop.

I'm restarting the gym on Monday after more than a year of not going and I could never really do more than 20 mins on the treadmill at a good pace. My muscles wouldn't give up on me but eventually my breathing became harder until I had to stop.

If you're short of breath you're running too fast in my experience. Stamina comes from mileage rather than speed. So longer distance at a slower speed. I found it hard to keep motivated on the treadmill in the gym

You're definitely running too fast. Going 'at a good pace' isn't the way to increase stamina. You want time on feet, basically.

I'm just getting back into running after a gap, and the hardest thing for me when I'm out there, is keeping my speed down. I use my heart rate to gauge my speed and if I don't keep a close eye on it, my speed (and therefore heart rate) soon start to rocket.

I did 7 miles this morning after a few weeks of running and I'm actually rather excited to start getting some decent distances in very soon. Looking to do a local half marathon then finding some proper marathons.

I got into running in the last year, doing 10k events mainly and weekly Parkrun.

Using the runkeeper app I find good for tracking my pace, route and general progress.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.