Russia

foxy

Has anybody been on holiday here? Would you recommend it? Looking to go on a historical visit more than anything. What's internal travel like especially with the trains? I'm looking at visiting Volgograd and St Petersburg as well.

Just been on the easy jet website and seen flights for £45 each way to Moscow. No doubt I'd have to pay for a visa and a few bribes.

What are the prices of accommodation and travel like over there?

Don't go gettin' your cock out in back streets ....

you'll be leapt upon by men in funny hats an' dragged round the red square by the bolcheviks !

Theres a few of us blues thinking of doing Moscow. But the flights we saw were £48 RETURN! However, a visa is about £100. But we're still looking into it

Getting there is easy, what is not easy is the visa, as has been said they are expensive and you need to ensure that you have the correct type. Moscow is expensive, beware of the taxi drivers. Internal travel on the trains is cheap and is cheap for a reason!! Makes our trains look good. If you plan ahead and ensure you have hotels booked at each place you want to visit you should be ok, If you want to fly internally look at S7 airlines website, it is in English and accepts credit cards, I would suggest flying.
Go for it, enjoy, but beware if you are invited by the locals to have a vodka!!

my inlaws went to st petersburg 2 years ago , one of their passports went missing from the hotel safe , no shithole either i must add , they were told by one of the reception staff that he may me able to help them get it back , but it would probably cost around £300 , they contacted the police. two policemen came to see them , told them it was probably best to pay the £300 ! which they ended up doing and got it back.

after that they were shitting themselves for the next 3 weeks , they travelled to moscow too
but were very paranoid after that , they said the corruption was jumping out at you everywhere , the wealth on show was unbelievable too , mansions and palaces , big cars etc.

i still laugh thinking about it now , the pair of twats.

Moscow is very expensive for accommodation and food but is a great place, but for something a bit different go to Irkutsk (the Paris of Siberia), we loved it there and it's near lake Baikal too.

A top tip, if you book the cheaper room in an hotel, when you arrive they will always say that the room has gone and try to put you in a more expensive room, stick to your guns though and the cheaper room mysteriously becomes available again! Happened to us three times in different parts of Mother Russia.

Thanks for the replies everybody I really appreciate it.

Sounds like there's quite a lot of corruption to look out which is to be expected. I read information on the Foreign Office website about keeping your passport on you at all times. I heard this happen to some blues who went to the Kiev game a few seasons back.

Siberia does look great and somewhere I'd like to visit, going to look at internal flight options.

Do travel companies provide the visas?

I heard it's legal for normal drivers to provide taxi services, is that true?

I went a few years ago with my mate. We had both read about the place and about the racism over there etc (my friend is black), but we had no idea it would be that bad. I dont want to make a sweeping generalisation of a whole nation but in my experience there were a lot of racist wankers everywhere, a load of miserable cunts too.
In Moscow some guy started making monkey noises to my mate and said something about swapping a banana for one of his cigarettes... the people around were laughing, not one looked uncomfortable with it. I dont think i would go back, we had some good nights out there but every single day there was some racism somewhere

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.