Russian invasion of Ukraine

I genuinely think they're going to win.

The Russian losses are staggering, they're on course to match the USA's 20 years of losses in Vietnam by mid-May.

Their airforce is getting decimated by the Stingers that arrived this week.

Their soldiers are so much better equipped, they are so much more motivated, have higher morale.

Domestically, the stock market has to open soon and every Russian is going to see their savings and pensions wiped out. More and more western companies are being pressured into boycotts and pulling out.

I’m viewing it with cautious optimism. I just can’t see how Putin takes, subdues and controls a country the size of Ukraine with 200k troops, who right now are taking a bit of a pasting.

The Ukraine forces in terms of equipment/training (but not overall numbers) are on a par with Russia. This is as close to a peer/peer war as you are going to get. This whole invasion is so batshit nuts, I’ve given up trying to figure out what will happen.

Whilst heartbreaking to watch alf, if NATO gets involved militarily there would be nothing left of Ukraine pretty much immediately.

Closely followed by much of the Western world.
And like I keep saying it is giving him and likely china free pass to keep on doing it then, when does it become right to step in?

When he crosses the line into one of 'OUR' countries.

I understand the reluctance, I really do, you really think I want to see nuclear bombs fired? If he presses his button he and his country are obliterated also.

On another point how the fuck are they still allowed to chair the UN right now?

It is fucking madness.

So we keep standing by while he annihilates Ukraine and then what, start trading with Russia again next year?

If it leads to an escalated war then so be it, you can not let dictators do this, if nuclear weapons existed in 1939 would the world have sat ideally by while Hitler killed every fucking Jew he could get his hands on?

There isn't a lot of difference right about now, he is murdering innocent people while we watch on the news, trembling he may or may not press the button.

Will we still be trembling when he rolls into Finland, Georgia and whichever other country he fancies taking back into Russian hands.
The nuclear dilemma, neatly summed up.

I’m viewing it with cautious optimism. I just can’t see how Putin takes, subdues and controls a country the size of Ukraine with 200k troops, who right now are taking a bit of a pasting.

The Ukraine forces in terms of equipment/training (but not overall numbers) are on a par with Russia. This is as close to a peer/peer war as you are going to get. This whole invasion is so batshit nuts, I’ve given up trying to figure out what will happen.
Plus the Ukraine are being supplied with state of the art weaponry and a constant supply of ammo. The Russians with run out before they do.

AND capitalism will find the money to develop alternative sources of energy. For example, an experimental nuclear fission plant, one third operational size is currently being built in uk. Rolls Royce have developed the idea of small nuclear plants which would be much cheaper than those massive plants. Think gov has allocated funds to build a trial site. We have also developed non fossil fuel truck engines. This is capitalism in action to improve the lot of man, as it has done for 300 years. Necessity is the mother of invention. I am optimistic re future of global emissions.
I think this line kinda undermines the rest of it.

Why are companies looking for alternative fuels sources right now after being happy with fossil fuels for decades? Is it because that's just the ingenuity and progress that is inevitable under capitalism, or is it actually because government regulations in pretty much every rich country in the world has forced them to?

We are getting an insanely one sided view when it comes to what's actually happening on the ground.

Russia has more boots on the ground and are attacking a defended position, they were always going to take more losses.

The way that it's being reported you'd think Ukraine hadn't suffered one casualty of war.

'
I live in Ukraine. My mom thinks that all those news about Ukraine crushing Russian army, and Russian "underperformance" is just fake news to encourage ukrainians and army. She wants Ukraine to win, tho. She also said, that what we "see" in reality, is that Russians slowly take city by city, especially in the South part. Her main argument is: "if Ukraine's army was that strong, they would already stop Russian progression at South".

We are getting an insanely one sided view when it comes to what's actually happening on the ground.

Russia has more boots on the ground and are attacking a defended position, they were always going to take more losses.

The way that it's being reported you'd think Ukraine hadn't suffered one casualty of war.
Yeah, false news works both ways.
Haven't got a clue what is real or complete bullshit.

And like I keep saying it is giving him and likely china free pass to keep on doing it then, when does it become right to step in?

When he crosses the line into one of 'OUR' countries.

I understand the reluctance, I really do, you really think I want to see nuclear bombs fired? If he presses his button he and his country are obliterated also.

On another point how the fuck are they still allowed to chair the UN right now?

It is fucking madness.

Sadly mate, the time to step in is only when you've said. Only when there is, quite literally, no other options left on the table.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.