Russian invasion of Ukraine

I haven't even got stairs to hide under, I'd better start bloody digging and boxing up the beans and toilet roll for a long stay in the upturned bathtub.

I think we need to understand that trench warfare is a thing of the past and certainly in Ukraine Putin is challenging new ideas with old ones but it's all a distraction. I don't think Putin has any intention of a landgrab, if he really is going to push into Ukraine then it's on the basis that he thinks the west probably won't do sod all about it.

No western leader will be considering total war or any prolonged war involving deployment because the reality is Russia will lose quickly and then nukes come into play which nobody wants. If there was war then the only likely scenario is we and everyone else would be joined by other countries and obviously the US. US involvement alone is enough to put Putin off although whether Biden is strong enough I have no idea.

Many countries in the eastern region such as Finland base their entire defence policy on holding off the Russians until the cavalry arrives and there's already a heavy defensive presence in those countries. We already have a considerable presence in the Baltics and in places like Estonia so the deterrence is already there.

Putin's style really is to conduct false flag type warfare where they invade, start a supposed puppet resistance and then they use elections to install a puppet leader. That's what happened in Crimea where Russia didn't exactly annex Crimea through force, Russia annexed Crimea by forcing it to annex itself.

We don't need to worry about packing a punch because nowadays that isn't important. What's important is showing solidarity with Ukraine and as a coalition providing enough assistance and deterrence to put Russia off. If we start deploying US and UK soldiers out there then things will get very hairy indeed. As it goes, don't provoke the bear but don't let him into your house either.
We won't be sending troops into Ukraine because they aren't members of Nato. Yes, there are a few British troops out there helping them learn how to shoot anti tank missiles, but other than that?

I don't know what 'considerable presence' in the Baltic nations means in the overall scheme of of things. Four aircraft and a few hundred soldiers like we have in the Falkland Islands?

I don't think anyone can understand what Putin is about at the moment, and I don't think it will kick off, but let's remember it wasn't too long ago we sailed a Destroyer into the Black Sea that antagonised the Russians then sent an aircraft carrier battle fleet over to China to antagonise them as well.

What is the point of that, given the size of our country, and our place in the world?

We won't be sending troops into Ukraine because they aren't members of Nato. Yes, there are a few British troops out there helping them learn how to shoot anti tank missiles, but other than that?

I don't know what 'considerable presence' in the Baltic nations means in the overall scheme of of things. Four aircraft and a few hundred soldiers like we have in the Falkland Islands?

I don't think anyone can understand what Putin is about at the moment, and I don't think it will kick off, but let's remember it wasn't too long ago we sailed a Destroyer into the Black Sea that antagonised the Russians then sent an aircraft carrier battle fleet over to China to antagonise them as well.

What is the point of that, given the size of our country, and our place in the world?
We are just a tiny part of the US military nowadays. Their call.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.