Russian invasion of Ukraine

Are Russians using rubber bullets because it appears that only Russian soldiers are being killed in this war apart from Ukraine civilians and I’ve also never seen any Ukraine tanks and armour been destroyed. The sad part of war is the cost of lives of everyone but war has to be reported correctly and not from one perspective as nobody ever gets a true reading of what’s going on. Wish this was over so the world can get back to normal and peace talks need to happen .

There’s info on Ukrainian losses, last info I saw was about 30k losses ( about 15k dead, others unable to return )

Ukrainian forces being trained by the west where keeping soldier’s alive is key has limited deaths a lot on there side.

Hardware wise, there was a lot less to lose so numbers are lower.

Here’s an open source database logging hardware Confirmed by pictures on both sides.

Last edited:
I don't think there is anyone of any doubt that the Ukrainians are also suffering losses. But I would imagine no one on here wants to see that, it's good for morale to know the Ruskies are losing. It's the same way you would only want to watch city's goals and not the United one's in the Derby on match of the day.
Fed up with it all tbh as we are all now suffering . Can’t see putin backing down if withdrawing so I don’t know where this will end .

Fed up with it all tbh as we are all now suffering . Can’t see putin backing down if withdrawing so I don’t know where this will end .
I know mate it's fucking terrible, but it's only going to end one way. Everyday Ukraine are being handed hi-tech equipment, at the same time Russia are being handed ww2 gear. Once Ukraine is liberated, Putin will either swing from a lamppost or run into the sunset with a big pot of gold, never to be seen again.

It might be still behind the paywall. Click the link and try it anyway.

Vladimir Putin's private army has made some “tactical gains" in Ukraine, British defence chiefs said on Friday, but the Russian Army as a whole is undermined by "severe shortages" of munitions and manpower.

Forces led by the Wagner Group, a network of mercenaries working for Putin, have achieved some "localised gains" in the Donbas and "remain heavily involved" in fighting in Bakhmut, eastern Ukraine.

The Russians are believed to see seizing Bakhmut as important to advancing on the Kramatorsk-Sloviansk urban area, which is the most populated area of the Donetsk Oblast held by Ukraine. But any progress is “very slow".

The Ministry of Defence said in its Friday morning briefing: “In the last three days, pro-Russian forces have made tactical advances towards the centre of the town of Bakhmut in Donetsk Oblast.

“Elements of 2nd Army Corps, the pro-Russia militia of the Luhansk region, likely advanced into the villages of Opytine and Ivangrad to the south of the town.

This is a very interesting article that may help to answer the questions that you have posed.

Snyder is a Yale historian and familiar with Eastern Europe and its history. Without double-checking, I think he is fluent in Polish, Ukranian and Russian.

Along with Peter Pomerantsev, his is one of my 'go to' Twitter presences that I check in with when I want to do a deeper dive on the conflict. I really do recommend checking him out.

A few years back, I read Snyder's book The Road to Unfreedom because I was interested in finding out more about the extent to which the St Petersburg troll farms were interfering in elections and referendums, especially in relation to Trump's ascent to the Presidency. Although I came way thinking that the influence was not as decisive as Snyder thinks, I was still left with the impression that it definitely made a difference.

His distinction between what he calls 'the politics of inevitability' and 'the politics of eternity' is also very much worth knowing about. It gets explained here in an older article on Putin:

But all that's another story.

From what I can tell, the political left is somewhat divided about this war.

On the one hand, you have commentators like Snyder, Pomerantsev and Slavoj Zizek who are right behind Ukraine.

And on the other, you have John Pilger (presumably as he got mentioned upthread recently) and Noam Chomsky.

I do like something that Zizek wrote a while back about that:

'Unfortunately, the Western leftists and pacifists have chosen simply to ignore the geopolitical dimension of Putin’s “denazification” project. As Jeremy Corbyn, the former British Labour Party leader, recently complained, “Pouring arms in [to Ukraine] isn’t going to bring about a solution, it’s only going to prolong and exaggerate this war. We might be in for years and years of a war in Ukraine.”

Implicit in this position is that Western governments should simply let Russia occupy Ukraine. Yet it is an odd “pacifism” that applies pressure on the victim (which must not defend itself too vigorously) and its supporters (which must not help the aggressor’s target too much), rather than on the attacker.

Western “pacifists” insist that we “de-demonize” Putin. There will have to be some kind of negotiation sooner or later, so we should treat him as a future partner. In fact, we should do the exact opposite: the attack on Ukraine compels us to re-demonize Putin, not personally but as an exponent of a dangerous geopolitical and ideological project.'

Full article here:

Some very good points there thanks for posting, the nuclear blackmail is bluster. There were points in the war Putin could have gone for that option and didn’t. The only way this ends is negotiating or all the factions in the Kremlin turn on Putin.

The kind of answer I suspected I'd get to my question.

Someone questions sources and automatically called a Putin lover.

There's propaganda on all sides. All I want is facts.

I thought I'd found an 'indepent' source which after some digging turned out to be the Russian version of lord Haw Haw. There's also Ukrainian/Western sources doing the same.

It seems this thread you can't question anything. Just wave the flag you have in your social media bio of the side you've chosen and everyone else is wrong.
Time to stop digging.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.