Russian invasion of Ukraine

I think they may swerve Kherson and go straight for Crimea.
Wierd move the Kinburn Spit one.

Slava Ukraini.
Despite having a reputation for producing World
Class Chess Champion's, Russian War strategy seems to be playing draughts against a Ukrainian chess game that keeps everyone guessing.

The sad thing is, there’ll be a few people in Britain upset with that. Russia has been someone to look up to for certain fringes of society for a long time despite being an enemy for all but maybe a decade of the last century.

And there are others who’ve done very well off the back of Russia.

I’ll tell you what though, we will be better off as a country without the fringes looking up to them or people doing well off the back of them. Their influence has been negative to Britain for too long… I blame a lot of the arguing fringes creeping ever further into mainstream arguments on Russia’s influence.
It’s incredible that the nation on earth (that has significant resources and population) which is the hardest to invade and conquer (that has proven repeatedly to be so) has such a paranoid national fear of that (almost impossible) event happening. And yet their national psyche is defined by it.

One of my best friends is married to a Russian and he has frequently talked for some considerable time (from well before this war) of the Russian people’s innate fear of NATO expansion representing an existential threat to their nation, which this conflict has underlined is a truly preposterous notion. The idea that any military force could invade and conquer a country that size through the prism of modern warfare is simply absurd, and yet domestic support for Putin’s aggression in Ukraine is rooted in that notion.

I’ve tried to distance my thoughts from those of negativity towards Russian people since this February, but I confess it’s become increasingly challenging. I have found the juxtaposition of their paranoia and cynicism towards the West with their ostensible gullibility towards their own establishment, along with their general lugubrious disposition as a people to be increasingly unattractive to me.

And against all that, I agree, there are people within our society who have (and continue to) revere them as a society. This isn’t limited to left-wingers either. I know of right-wing people who admire their authoritarian society and truculence. I always found that a bit weird tbh.

There are lots of reasons to celebrate the way this conflict has turned, and among those which encompass the defence of freedom and stability on our continent, and the more unified approach of NATO nations to help achieve that, is the wake up call this will have provided to this vain, truculent and paranoid nation that has threatened the use of nuclear weapons in order to cause fear amongst ordinary people about the safety of their children.

I, for one, will always struggle to look past this invasion of Ukraine, and the Russian narrative that has surrounded it, and the people in whose name those deeds and words were carried out. And if I, someone who likes to think of themselves as balanced and fairly moderate in his outlook on the world feels like that, then I expect it’s going to be a long, slow road back to redemption for the Russian people.

It fills my heart with joy that they are getting such a fucking kicking, and although it is truly tragic that it has come at such a cost, the alternative would have been such a terrible thing to witness.

Last edited:
The sad thing is, there’ll be a few people in Britain upset with that. Russia has been someone to look up to for certain fringes of society for a long time despite being an enemy for all but maybe a decade of the last century.

And there are others who’ve done very well off the back of Russia.

I’ll tell you what though, we will be better off as a country without the fringes looking up to them or people doing well off the back of them. Their influence has been negative to Britain for too long… I blame a lot of the arguing fringes creeping ever further into mainstream arguments on Russia’s influence.

Fringe?
Just how big do you think this fringe is 1/50,000 or less

It’s incredible that the nation on earth (that has significant resources and population) which is the hardest to invade and conquer (that has proven repeatedly to be so) has such a paranoid national fear of that (almost impossible) event happening. And yet their national psyche is defined by it.

One of my best friends is married to a Russian and he has frequently talked for some considerable time (from well before this war) of the Russian people’s innate fear of NATO expansion representing an existential threat to their nation, which this conflict has underlined is a truly preposterous notion. The idea that any military force could invade and conquer a country that size through the prism of modern warfare is simply absurd, and yet domestic support for Putin’s aggression in Ukraine is rooted in that notion.

I’ve tried to distance my thoughts from those of negativity towards Russian people since this February, but I confess it’s become increasingly challenging. I have found the juxtaposition of their paranoia and cynicism towards the West with their ostensible gullibility towards their own establishment, along with their general lugubrious disposition as a people to be increasingly unattractive to me.

And against all that, I agree, there are people within our society who have (and continue to) revere them as a society. This isn’t limited to left-wingers either. I know of right-wing people who admire their authoritarian society and truculence. I always found that a bit weird tbh.

There are lots of reasons to celebrate the way this conflict has turned, and among those which encompass the defence of freedom and stability on our continent, and the more unified approach of NATO nations to help achieve that, is the wake up call this will have provided to this vain, truculent and paranoid nation that has threatened the use of nuclear weapons in order to cause fear amongst ordinary people about the safety of their children.

I, for one, will always struggle to look past this invasion of Ukraine, and the Russian narrative that has surrounded it, and the people in whose name those deeds and words were carried out. And if I, someone who likes to think of themselves as balanced and fairly moderate in his outlook on the world feels like that, then I expect it’s going to be a long, slow road back to redemption for the Russian people.

It fills my heart with joy that they are getting such a fucking kicking, but it is truly tragic that it has come at such a cost.The alternative would have been such a terrible thing to witness.

Russians are what they are. (as a nation)
There are some good Russians. (as individuals)
Why they are that way is a lot longer discussion.

Right now we cannot try and see any good in them, and deal with them as a nation.
Afterwards, we have to hope that those that are good, rise to the top. Otherwise events like this will continue to happen.

Last edited:
Russians are what they are. (as a nation)
There are some good Russians. (as individuals)
Why they are that way is a lot longer discussion.

Right now we cannot try and see any good in them, and deal with them as a nation.
Afterwards, we have to hope that those that are good rise to the top. Otherwise events like this will continue to happen.
Agree with all that mate, and after this, isolating them is definitely not the answer, and nor are recriminations, however tempting that may be.

I like seeing the Russians get a good kicking and the bravery of the Ukrainians is incredible. That said, I must have missed the lesson where we earned the right to call every Russian a scumbag for not trying to overthrow Putin. When was the last time any town or City in the U.K. made a big stand against drug dealers, rapists of kids, or political extremists / terrorists (never mind a powerful State). I vaguely remember some Southerners getting mobbed up to protect shops getting looted in the Mark Duggan riots and we / the North of England responded to the Arena bombing with stoicism.

It might be just my cynicism but I don’t see much of a revolt happening if we had a Putin like figure in charge in the U.K.

It fills my heart with joy that they are getting such a fucking kicking, and although it is truly tragic that it has come at such a cost, the alternative would have been such a terrible thing to witness.
The “good” Russians need to overthrow and kill Putin . We can then believe in “good” Russians .

I like seeing the Russians get a good kicking and the bravery of the Ukrainians is incredible. That said, I must have missed the lesson where we earned the right to call every Russian a scumbag for not trying to overthrow Putin. When was the last time any town or City in the U.K. made a big stand against drug dealers, rapists of kids, or political extremists / terrorists (never mind a powerful State). I vaguely remember some Southerners getting mobbed up to protect shops getting looted in the Mark Duggan riots and we / the North of England responded to the Arena bombing with stoicism.

It might be just my cynicism but I don’t see much of a revolt happening if we had a Putin like figure in charge in the U.K.
I can’t speak for others, mate, but there is no criticism from me for the failure to overthrow the regime - my issue with the Russian people (much of which is not based on media output) is their willingness to accept the line that the west harbours empirical aspirations towards their nation. This way of thinking is as undeniable as it is absurd. It simply doesn’t bear any logical or objective scrutiny whatsoever and they are gullible and suggestible cunts for believing it.

For all our faults, I think, as a nation, we display more cynicism and recalcitrance towards those who rule over us, even though as a people, we have a weak track record of overthrowing them.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.