Russian invasion of Ukraine

I posted a while back about how I saw a similarity between various things that happened during the Spanish Civil War and how things have happened in this war.
The use by the Republicans/Russians of waves of assaults, the meat grinder in fuill effect. The way they felt they had to completely control towns/villages before moving on. This was seen as a huge failing in the Spanish war, with the Republicans wasting time and effort clearing towns that they could just surround/cut off and move on. This was mirrored by the Russians most notably with Mariupol and to a degree Bakhmut.
It cost the Republicans then and it seems the Russians have simply copied their play book that they used way back in the 30s.
The Ukrainians are clearly more tactically aware and arent tied to military dogma and ego. A case of what works and minimises loss of life. Life means something to a human being ....but not to the Russian "Master Strategist Nonce Vladimir Vladimirovich Putin.
Good point but if it was that easy then why aren’t Ukraine doing likewise? Or maybe they are - see Bakhmut as an example; The Ukrainians are attacking the flanks hoping to isolate Bakhmut and move on. It’s not so easy though when both sides have spent all winter digging in and fortifying defences. Hence the stalemate which has been pretty much the same for a year or so.

Good point but if it was that easy then why aren’t Ukraine doing likewise? Or maybe they are - see Bakhmut as an example; The Ukrainians are attacking the flanks hoping to isolate Bakhmut and move on. It’s not so easy though when both sides have spent all winter digging in and fortifying defences. Hence the stalemate which has been pretty much the same for a year or so.
It was mainly seeing the similarities, The Nationalists (Ukranians in this instance) holding fast in towns in order to delay advances, tie up troops and allowing them to prepare defences further back. Without the courage, determination and bravery exhibited by the Ukranians in those first few days then i doubt they would have been able to solidify their positions and begin to rally support.
Counter that with the Ukranian attacks to retake kherson, Kharkiv, Lyman and they pushed on to keep the Russinas on the back foot. The main example I thought of being the Battle of the Ebro (Teruel aswell), where the Russians/Republicans had the upper hand and could have really pushed on but spent time tryign to clear every last Nationalist out.
As you say, abit harder now as the russians have known what is coming for a long time after the 3 day SMO ended in glorious failure and so have dug in.

Have ,Sweden been training up pilots and tech/support staff on the Saab JAS Gripen .
The haven't started yet. I'm not sure they will because Sweden have said they don't have any planes to give to Ukraine. They see the greatest threat from Russia as an air / marine attack rather than land forces and the Russian Navy and Air Force have not had major losses.
They would have to source the planes from somewhere else, which is basically South Africa ,Hungary or the Czechs. None of hem seem likely either.
That could change with NATO membership.

Sweden are, though, going to establish and man repair shops for the CV 90s they've sent. Probably just inside Poland.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.