Russian invasion of Ukraine

Both China and Russia have vetos and both have been rogue dictatorships for the majority of the existence of the UN.

The UN represents the world as it is, not the world how we'd like it to be.

Besides the fact that RuSSia has invaded a sovereign state and has occupied parts for almost a decade now, there is no option but for the Ukranians to carry on.
To allow anything else will just repeat what happened in the Donbas and then Crimea. They take some land and wait for the stalemate and for the world/west to get sympathy fatigue. For those in western countries to start getting the "look after our own" (America First) syndrome. Then they regroup, rebuild their forces and push again.
Without that big symbolic victory to allow Putin to puff out his chest and hold a parade there has to be a change in the support from the Oligarchs in order for anything to change from the Rissian side.
Ukraine slow and steady on the battlefield but also ramping up the pressure on the Oligarchs and the more affluent travelling Russian population has to happen.

I think the information put out by Heineken showed how tricky it is for some comapnies to extricate themselves from markets and then there is the issue with "westerners" who have relocated to Russia, but I wonder if it would take some sort of grand gesture from "the west/NATO countries to bring Russia to its senses. Unilateral withdrawal of diplomatic relations, withdraw all diplomatic staff, close Embassies and expel all russians (without permanent residence in a country). There is no way they would be able to spin that to the populations of Moscow/St Petersburg who I think are mostly insulated from what is going on.
This x 100%
We have pussyfooted about for too long. We shouldn’t even be talking to them let alone trading with them or playing sport with them. We should have absolutely nothing to do with them as if they don’t exist. We should also do likewise with Iran, Syria, India, N Korea and any nonce nation who are helping to prop up the Russian fascist regime. Once Putin has gone and put before the courts for war crimes along with his cronies then maybe we can talk.

Besides the fact that RuSSia has invaded a sovereign state and has occupied parts for almost a decade now, there is no option but for the Ukranians to carry on.
To allow anything else will just repeat what happened in the Donbas and then Crimea. They take some land and wait for the stalemate and for the world/west to get sympathy fatigue. For those in western countries to start getting the "look after our own" (America First) syndrome. Then they regroup, rebuild their forces and push again.
Without that big symbolic victory to allow Putin to puff out his chest and hold a parade there has to be a change in the support from the Oligarchs in order for anything to change from the Rissian side.
Ukraine slow and steady on the battlefield but also ramping up the pressure on the Oligarchs and the more affluent travelling Russian population has to happen.

I think the information put out by Heineken showed how tricky it is for some comapnies to extricate themselves from markets and then there is the issue with "westerners" who have relocated to Russia, but I wonder if it would take some sort of grand gesture from "the west/NATO countries to bring Russia to its senses. Unilateral withdrawal of diplomatic relations, withdraw all diplomatic staff, close Embassies and expel all russians (without permanent residence in a country). There is no way they would be able to spin that to the populations of Moscow/St Petersburg who I think are mostly insulated from what is going on.
Add the sports bodies. Look at this joke.

No name, no credible source imo. Reads like deliberate misinformation in parts. The stuff you would want to hear if you were part of the Russian government?
Agree, but I think much of what is in there is probably true, even though it’s most likely been arrived at by supposition rather than any meaningful intelligence.

There will be backchannel discussions going on, and I’m sure that the powers that be in the US think that the total annihilation of Russia carries more risks than potential benefits. There will also be plenty of people near the seat of power in Russia who thought this was a terrible idea but now think Russia can’t just walk away. And there will have to be some dialogue between the parties after this is all over. Like there nearly always is. And the suggestion the Putin is the overwhelming obstacle to a resolution is also almost certainly correct.

I don’t agree that it’s almost inevitable that Russia will use nukes if they lose Crimea, but otherwise the thrust of what’s in there strikes me as on the money.

The issue is, as the article suggests, Putin (and those immediately around him). There is simply no point in entering into dialogue with them about settlement at this stage and to do so would simply sow the seeds for greater problems in the future. They simply won’t keep to anything they say they will, as long as they think they can get away with it, and they cannot be seen to profit from this egregious act of aggression.

That is the bottom line.

Add the sports bodies. Look at this joke.

Corruption pure and simple. The russian and belarus nonces were banned from competing in Europe by the European governing body until now, what's changed?

Why has the World governing body reinstated said nonces?

Probably something to do with the fact that pro putin oligarch alisher usmanov, was president of the organization from 2008 until 2022, his influence and wealth have no doubt enabled his fellow nonces to compete again.

How does a man who served 6 years in prison get to be the head of a worldwide sporting governing body?

Corruption.

Last edited:
Agree, but I think much of what is in there is probably true, even though it’s most likely been arrived at by supposition rather than any meaningful intelligence.

There will be backchannel discussions going on, and I’m sure that the powers that be in the US think that the total annihilation of Russia carries more risks than potential benefits. There will also be plenty of people near the seat of power in Russia who thought this was a terrible idea but now think Russia can’t just walk away. And there will have to be some dialogue between the parties after this is all over. Like there nearly always is. And the suggestion the Putin is the overwhelming obstacle to a resolution is also almost certainly correct.

I don’t agree that it’s almost inevitable that Russia will use nukes if they lose Crimea, but otherwise the thrust of what’s in there strikes me as on the money.

The issue is, as the article suggests, Putin (and those immediately around him). There is simply no point in entering into dialogue with them about settlement at this stage and to do so would simply sow the seeds for greater problems in the future. They simply won’t keep to anything they say they will, as long as they think they can get away with it, and they cannot be seen to profit from this egregious act of aggression.

That is the bottom line.
The only time to open discussions is when you are in a winning position. Until then you sit tight.

The west should be piling in with every weapon system available and suitable while also making it clear to China that its either the west or Putins Russia. They can't sit on the fence. They will definitely side with the west. They cannot afford not to.

The preparatory stage of the Kherson offensive operation of the Armed Forces of Ukraine took 74 days. From the moment of the first strike on the Kerch bridge, to the beginning of the movement under Davidov Brod. Those days, the orcs also "advance" under Izyum in the Valley. How it all ended, everyone knows.

It's the 51st day of the current counter offensive. Slava Ukraini!

@Kartinamaslom5

Both China and Russia have vetos and both have been rogue dictatorships for the majority of the existence of the UN.

The UN represents the world as it is, not the world how we'd like it to be.
I agree.
It certainly isn't perfect but they can destroy the world umpteen times over.
That doesn't mean they have a free pass on Ukraine though.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.