Sardinia

I've previously visted in Spring and my niece & nephew recently returned froma visit there. When I went, I was mostly staying in the South (I hear the North has unique spots) - we went off season so it was not very heavily impacted by tourists. We ate fantastically and did a lot of hiking. The niece & nephew said confinement resulted in few tourists as well and they had a brilliant time with great temperatures

Corsica is nearby and I suppose I would be inclined to visit there should a return be in the cards, if nothing else to enjoy the cuisine there too

I’ve been about ten years ago. We stayed in a beautiful resort called Alghero. It’s a walled coastal town, very beautiful. Nice sea too. Beautiful food and scenery. I loved it there.

There's a lot of historical sites from the Bronze age and upwards if that's your bag. It's bigger than you think, has a lot of wild places to explore with some nice small fishing villages with nice food/ beer places.

Alghero is very pretty but busy at times. Nuoro the same but as it's in the mountains it seems quieter.

Cagliari is where a lot of cruise ships descend so try and avoid their drop off times. Best to go early morning or late afternoon.

Oristano is also great. Very atmospheric.

Hire a car and go exploring. The mountains are fantastic. We found a farm that sold it's own wine. There's apparently a few dotted about the place. Cannonau I think it's called. Very nice.

There's loads of very sandy quiet beaches as well.

It's very similar to Sicily. Especially the interior. Great food, fantastic booze and lovely people.

Having the advantage of being Italian, I've been there for the last 5 years in late summer. We usually went to the west coast which is less touristy and very beautiful in terms of natural beaches (I recommend the area around the Sinis peninsula, between Cabras and Oristano) and I've also been to the east (the town of Orosei and the beaches around that coast are also wonderful) and south (equally worth visiting but I remember less about it).

I suggest you get yourself a car as it's necessary to reach the best beaches and towns and public transport doesn't really cover half of the region. In terms of prices, it's certainly cheaper than Corsica while having the same kind of natural beauty and being somewhat less modernized.

Don't expect a good English proficiency among the locals nor a very commercial/touristy treatment (unless you go to a holiday resort or to posh areas) but they're used to having tourists around obviously.

Last edited:
Lovely beaches, beautiful sea. Porto 1597290011197.png
is beautiful but very expensive. Definitely worth a trip but don`t put your hand in your pocket. You know you`re in the playground of the rich when you see the new Rolls Royce cars for sale in the Rolls garage on the front

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.