Saudi Sovereign fund

Absolutely, but that's nothing that can't also be said for plenty of other leagues around the world. The Saudi league has one team that averages over 40k fans. The second highest in 17k and the third is 13k. And what are the ticket prices? Are they charge 50 quid a ticket? A quick Google search suggests that they are starting at around 5 quid.

The point is that if you're going to pay out salaries that are double the top leagues in Europe, and have it be sustainable, you don't just have to start earning a bit more, you have to be bringing in double the income of the top leagues in Europe. I'm sure there will be increased interest in their league and they'll get increased TV deals out of it and sponsorship, but it'll be absolutely nowhere near that of the Premier League et al, so they will inevitably be bankrolling it for years. And as I said, when something is being politically bankrolled, it only takes a change in the political situation for everything to change. A single economic crisis is all it takes for people to start wondering why so much money is going to such vanity projects and it becomes an easy political win to get rid of them.
That depends how much of their own wealth your respective sugar daddy is willing to write off in pursuit of a greater design.

In Mo’s case, well, he’s not scared to put his hand in his pocket

Can the PIF win vs the combined might of the PL?

PIF has given the Saudi Pro League $20 billion in funding. The Premier League earns $6 billion per year. If the Qatar take over of Man United takes place, the league will have a tonne of super rich benefactors vs one sole benefactor, who also has an interest in the PL.

I wonder if they will want to go toe to toe with the PL within 3-4 years. The spending is insane.

In worldwide terms, they absolutely are.
What you have said was literally wrong. Claiming that the US are almost 100% a population of high-income individuals is just mental, in whatever terms you look at it. Of course, the US is a world superpower if that's what you wanted to say.

Last edited:
What you have said was literally wrong. Claiming that the US are almost 100% a population of high-income individuals is just mental.
Well it's a good job I didn't say that then, isn't it? I mean yeah, if you want to get extremely facetious about it, then the fact that children are part of that 300 million proves me wrong. Brilliant. Well done. You've won the debate. But obviously what I actually said was that Americans are 'largely' high-income individuals in worldwide terms. Which is absolutely true.

The median household income in the US is nearly $70k. If you earned half that in the UK, you'd be doing alright, never mind most of the world. Even in a decade where they've been hemorrhaging customers, 50% of those households still pay for cable TV. 91.2% of households own a car compared to 18% of the world population. All of this means that Inter Miami tickets start at $59 (although the average price is $120), whereas tickets in the Saudi league start at around $7. It means that when you sell a TV package, you can charge a lot more money. It means when you sell advertising space, you get paid more. Hell, even your social media revenue will be higher if more Americans watch the adverts compared to people from most other countries. And that's because Americans are rich in worldwide terms.

The median household income in the US is nearly $70k. If you earned half that in the UK, you'd be doing alright, never mind most of the world.
I'm sure the filthy wealth of those billionaires is included in computing that average. With rent or mortgage, a household of 4 members would barely make it to the end of the month with an annual gross income of $70k. It becomes a financial crisis if someone finds a cavity in their mouth or the car doesn't start in the morning.

Its another fad, like the China thing. Paying players hundreds of millions for 1-2 years is not sustainable. And it will only be for 1-2 years. I mean its Saudi Arabia FFS. The country has fun police whose job it is to go around and tell people to settle down if they are having a good time. Cant get on the drink, cant go out to a nightclub as all the females are imprisoned in their home. Exceptions have been made, apparently Ronaldo's GF can leave the house with her knees showing. But do all the zeolots agree with this?

Its totally unsustainable as the Saudi Leage will need to pay 5-10 times the wage a player could earn in Europe, of which the wages in Europe are already astronomical.

Another thing, is the link Saudi Arabia has with terrorism. If Gerrard goes to manage in Suadi Arabia - he better have 24 hour security, as he could very easily find himself away from Al-Hilal FC, and with the good folk of Al-Qaeda.

Someone needs to tell Bin Salman he isnt wanted in modern society. Stay in your own backwards kingdom.

I'm sure the filthy wealth of those billionaires is included in computing that average. With rent or mortgage, a household of 4 members would barely make it to the end of the month with an annual gross income of $70k. It becomes a financial crisis if someone finds a cavity in their mouth or the car doesn't start in the morning.
It's the median, so no, it's not skewed by billionaires. The cost of living is kind of the point. It's an expensive country to live in, which means when you're advertising to people, you're advertising something that costs more and makes you more money. Sure, there are parts of America where a $70k household income wouldn't go very far (although I notice you don't mention the exceptionally low taxes they have compared to other high income countries), but they're also the parts of the country where the average household income is significantly higher. In San Francisco and New York, the median is $127k. We can argue anecdotes all we want, but the facts are the in terms of disposable income, the USA is number 2 in the world after Luxembourg.

And yes, Americans have to pay for some things that are given free in other countries (e.g. healthcare), but ironically, this makes the advertising market even bigger, because if you've got a choice of which prescription drugs to take, then there's suddenly a load of advertising for them. If people have to choose a health insurance provider (I know plenty just get it through their employer), that's suddenly a huge industry that will pay for advertising, whereas in the UK, it's a niche product that only a handful of people will ever buy. It doesn't matter if a family is struggling to get by on $70k, it's still $70k that they're choosing how and where to spend and that companies are competing for.

ok,here is one another issue about saudi or other asian teams invloving in uefa competitions.(by the way i am favor of them,the market will be bigger. think about gala playing a saudi team in champs league... big cash inflow.... all the european clubs will benefit)
but here is the issue,
for example if saudi clubs wanna invlolve in uefa club competitions, they should be a member of uefa.and saudi national team should compete in uefa groups, like turkey, like georgia, like israeil, like even russia etc...
so it will be hard for saudi national.team to go yo world cup.am i wrong... there is no free lunch.....
cheers

American evangelicals, their very own Taliban, get a hardon thinking about how Saudis deal with people who call their religion horseshit. Both a shower of dangerous, medieval, theocratic, horrible bastards. Of all the countries invaded by the west, Saudi is where they should have started if any of the utter bollocks given for war were real.
evangelistss..... what i can i say
i am an atheist but grown up in an islamic area...for me the best religion is still islam, compared to other abrahamic religions.islam is much better
cheers

ok,here is one another issue about saudi or other asian teams invloving in uefa competitions.(by the way i am favor of them,the market will be bigger. think about gala playing a saudi team in champs league... big cash inflow.... all the european clubs will benefit)
but here is the issue,
for example if saudi clubs wanna invlolve in uefa club competitions, they should be a member of uefa.and saudi national team should compete in uefa groups, like turkey, like georgia, like israeil, like even russia etc...
so it will be hard for saudi national.team to go yo world cup.am i wrong... there is no free lunch.....
cheers
so saudi arabia is ok for location. but an australion team.... it is impossible to be in champs league. it is not like eurovision,once in a year....but who knows.... uefa is a bastard... they can do anything for monry.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.