Scholes: I'm worried that City are ahead at youth level

ianw16 said:
But things change and you can take nothing for granted. In the modern era, United, with their history of being the greatest talent producer, have to watch that they do not become second choice in their own city.

Already are pal. Across all levels. Next.

Ginger and green, what a fucking look that is.

Really glad he is so chocked up inside.

So lads went to United to be Glory hunters for free

d631ea3d9f2aa70da1947f6e336b51d4.jpg

ianw16 said:
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/paul-scholes-column-as-a-manchester-united-man-im-worried-that-manchester-city-have-moved-ahead-of-the-game-at-youth-level-9919194.html

But things change and you can take nothing for granted. In the modern era, United, with their history of being the greatest talent producer, have to watch that they do not become second choice in their own city.
Geography isn't exactly thwe Ginger Pig's strong point either........

My 7 year old boy currently plays with both City and United Academies (kids are free to play for more than one club until they pass their 9th birthday). so I feel that I am well placed to comment here. Of course I am an incredibly proud Dad but having and being a life-long Blue I would be lying if I didn't admit to fantasies of my boy one day playing for City. I am more aware however, that in reality his chances of making it as a professional are close to nil - (85% of boys who have signed a professional contract at 19 are out of the game by the time they are 21).

Because of the reality, I simply want my lad to enjoy playing the game, as I did growing up. It keeps you fit and healthy and lessens the odds of you ending up in trouble. It also provides you with an active social life. He loves it and so do I. Taking this into account however, I have to say that the experience at United is a much more rounded one at present. The staff and coaches there adopt a much more pastoral approach and are keen to treat the boys as just that - boys. At City you get the feeling that you are more of a number on a production line. At United, all staff and coaches take an interest in the whole family - how's school? How's work? What are your plans foe Christmas etc. At City everything is much more sterile. Turn up, train, go home.

Now this approach may well work (and being a Blue I hope it does) and there is no doubt that at the moment City have the more talented youngsters (at U7 / U8 anyway) however, I can't help thinking that city are putting all of their eggs into one basket and hoping that they all hatch while United are casting their net much wider. We know that all kids develop at different rates so what happens if the small number of kids that City are concentrating on don't make it?

Looks like the Penny is starting to drop!!

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/378757.html?CMP=OTC-RSS" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/st ... MP=OTC-RSS</a>

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.