Scholes: I'm worried that City are ahead at youth level

Isn't it nice hearing him talk about his memories of playing with the family man at under 16s level with the scum?

ianw16 said:
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/paul-scholes-column-as-a-manchester-united-man-im-worried-that-manchester-city-have-moved-ahead-of-the-game-at-youth-level-9919194.html

It has been no secret among people I know in football that City have taken great strides in their youth academy programmes, to the extent that there are even United players past and present who have, or at least once had, sons at City’s academy. That will be difficult for a lot of United fans to get their heads around. I guess when it comes to a parent wanting the right thing for their child, it takes precedence over even the deepest loyalties.
It must be hard to get in at united's youth, when they continually produce stars such as di maria, van persie, rooney, ferdinand, vidic, carrick, falcao etc etc

{edit - sorry I missed phil jones out}

cleavers said:
ianw16 said:
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/paul-scholes-column-as-a-manchester-united-man-im-worried-that-manchester-city-have-moved-ahead-of-the-game-at-youth-level-9919194.html

It has been no secret among people I know in football that City have taken great strides in their youth academy programmes, to the extent that there are even United players past and present who have, or at least once had, sons at City’s academy. That will be difficult for a lot of United fans to get their heads around. I guess when it comes to a parent wanting the right thing for their child, it takes precedence over even the deepest loyalties.
It must be hard to get in at united's youth, when they continually produce stars such as di maria, van persie, rooney, ferdinand, vidic, carrick, falcao etc etc

{edit - sorry I missed phil jones out}
An easy mistake to make.

Timperley_blue said:
My 7 year old boy currently plays with both City and United Academies (kids are free to play for more than one club until they pass their 9th birthday). so I feel that I am well placed to comment here. Of course I am an incredibly proud Dad but having and being a life-long Blue I would be lying if I didn't admit to fantasies of my boy one day playing for City. I am more aware however, that in reality his chances of making it as a professional are close to nil - (85% of boys who have signed a professional contract at 19 are out of the game by the time they are 21).

Because of the reality, I simply want my lad to enjoy playing the game, as I did growing up. It keeps you fit and healthy and lessens the odds of you ending up in trouble. It also provides you with an active social life. He loves it and so do I. Taking this into account however, I have to say that the experience at United is a much more rounded one at present. The staff and coaches there adopt a much more pastoral approach and are keen to treat the boys as just that - boys. At City you get the feeling that you are more of a number on a production line. At United, all staff and coaches take an interest in the whole family - how's school? How's work? What are your plans foe Christmas etc. At City everything is much more sterile. Turn up, train, go home.

Now this approach may well work (and being a Blue I hope it does) and there is no doubt that at the moment City have the more talented youngsters (at U7 / U8 anyway) however, I can't help thinking that city are putting all of their eggs into one basket and hoping that they all hatch while United are casting their net much wider. We know that all kids develop at different rates so what happens if the small number of kids that City are concentrating on don't make it?

That’s a good and very interesting well balanced post and needs to be passed on and made available to the academy staff. Hope your lad goes on to play and be part of our great club.

Timperley_blue said:
My 7 year old boy currently plays with both City and United Academies (kids are free to play for more than one club until they pass their 9th birthday). so I feel that I am well placed to comment here. Of course I am an incredibly proud Dad but having and being a life-long Blue I would be lying if I didn't admit to fantasies of my boy one day playing for City. I am more aware however, that in reality his chances of making it as a professional are close to nil - (85% of boys who have signed a professional contract at 19 are out of the game by the time they are 21).

Because of the reality, I simply want my lad to enjoy playing the game, as I did growing up. It keeps you fit and healthy and lessens the odds of you ending up in trouble. It also provides you with an active social life. He loves it and so do I. Taking this into account however, I have to say that the experience at United is a much more rounded one at present. The staff and coaches there adopt a much more pastoral approach and are keen to treat the boys as just that - boys. At City you get the feeling that you are more of a number on a production line. At United, all staff and coaches take an interest in the whole family - how's school? How's work? What are your plans foe Christmas etc. At City everything is much more sterile. Turn up, train, go home.

Now this approach may well work (and being a Blue I hope it does) and there is no doubt that at the moment City have the more talented youngsters (at U7 / U8 anyway) however, I can't help thinking that city are putting all of their eggs into one basket and hoping that they all hatch while United are casting their net much wider. We know that all kids develop at different rates so what happens if the small number of kids that City are concentrating on don't make it?

I know where you are coming from TB. My 7 yr old is at Liverpool Academy and has been at City and Utd also. Its not just at City where it feels like your just a number. I think Big club academies who are assessing and trying to capture and coach the young talent of the area, in prepeation of giving a contract at 9yrs old are having to play the numbers game. The catchment area is huge, and the distant development centres are all sending in "their" best players to the academies, and they are trying to give each lad a fair crack of settling in and being properly looked at, rather than just a quick 1 week/ 2 week trial. They are trying their best to see as many as they can, but also give them a fair whack at it. One of the reasons my son chose Liverpool was that he had some of his friends there from school and his local team with him. also the training times allowed him to pursue other sports he already does. Due to him being there with his friends, he is really enjoying his football, and thats all that matters to me. He's getting top notch training for free from an organisation that is one of the best in the world. The coaches are excellent, and are so good with the age group they are teaching, bring fun and enjoyment into their play and time at training. City and United were no different. I do know that United have been messing about with their academy structure and development centres and stopping some without notice. They have let alot of their top scouts and coaches go at the begining of the season, and has caused real unrest within the coaching structure at the club.

Don't understand the comments about 'small number of kids' or 'casting the net wider'.

Surely City will have more kids at the academy than Utd, as they have more places available ?

Also, the experience of my mate's lad at Utd, was the absolute polar opposite of what is described here.

We'll all remember you for your famous FA cup comeback on that cold January day.

A day when you hadn't come on 2 minutes and Micah sent you to the floor with a fair challenge for a high ball.

You lay on the ground a bit, got up, and every single person in the stadium knew what you were thinking, "What the hell was I thinking coming back".

That same day, Paul Pogba decided he f**king hated you after being dropped so you could come back and try to save United's season, and went on to become one of the world's best midfielders.

So let's not talk about youth development Paul, because YOU were the reason the rags lost the best prospect they have had since 1992, and we love it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.