School closures because of snow

denislawsbackheel said:
Eli Panic said:
Why do some schools send children home when it snows? I can't think of one reason why this should happen. I can think of many why it shouldn't.

1. Parents have to finish work to collect their kids, or be at home with them.

2. Parents could be at work many miles away, can't get to school quickly anyway, and might need to take annual leave.

3. Grandparents or carers might be elderly and it could be dangerous to expect them to attend school.

4. It is not dangerous to keep kids at school when it is snowing.

5. Kids live near school and can normally walk home.

6. Buses aren't available at the early closure time, so parents have to make the arrangements for kids who can't walk home. What's the difference between doing this after school or at midday?

7. School boiler could be broken. Tough. Get a service contract like everyone else.

8. Teachers get to leave early. Why can't they leave at 3pm? Every other worker has to leave at their normal finishing time.

I am trying hard to find a good reason for this, yet we all accept it as normal but inconvenient.

I'll bite.
Most of this bollocks can be answered by the following
Please tell me of a primary school that did this.

If a secondary school the kids can let themselves in.

point 2 go to your local school or accept the inconveniences associated with "choice"

point 7 health and safety at work legislation that protects your rights also protects teachers and children from working in low temperatures.

point 8 do you actually know that teachers all left early or is it that chip on your shoulder deciding it?

I worked in schools where on several occasions I was there until 7pm waiting for some twat of a parent to turn up to collect their child. It was always the same pillocks who thought schools were child minding services to run at their convenience.

I'm sorry if I offended you. That was not my intention. My father taught at Yew Tree, Sharston and South Manchester High Schools. His nickname was 'Tosher' and he used to get pelted with snow balls as he cycled home in the snow.

But I truly don't get it. In answer to your points, there are many schools reported as having closed today. One deputy head was on local news discussing her closure.

It hasn't affected me. My lad walks to and from school. I work 10 miles away, my wife 6 miles away. We can't just pack up work and get to school whenever it snows. My wife finishes in time to be home when he arrives home. He is old enough to be home alone now, but previously it would have been illegal to leave him home alone. Our only alternative carer is my mother-in-law. We wouldn't want her walking to school or driving in the snow for her own safety.

Point 7. Why aren't schools maintained to that they can keep the school heated to the minimum requirement? Every other place of work must meet this requirement, but it appears you are saying schools don't need to heat themselves because they can just close when it is too cold.

8. On the occasions I have experienced school closures, everyone has gone home.

I am not condoning selfish parents, and I have the utmost respect for teachers. But I am yet to hear a good reason why schools cannot be kept open when it snows.

Not that hard really is it?

winter.jpg

Like some of mentioned, some can make it in some can't, there has to be a certain teacher to student population. Also health and safety as mentioned, its not convenient for most people of course, but Teachers aren't meant to be babysitters either, if they don't have the right conditions to teach then you can't run a school/leave a school open.

And if your kid slipped and cracked their head open the parents would be complaining about how dare the school stay open in such dangerous conditions. All these things teacher strikes/snow days etc usually boils down to one thing and that is parents who are pissed off that their free baby sitters aren't available and they actually have to bother looking after their own kids for a day.

All the schools in and around Boston were shut Tuesday and Wednesday. A great number of kids get bussed in (all ages) and the buses wont run. Teachers cant get there either.
However, the difference here, is ''snow days'' are carried over at the end of term. So the two days lost this week (and any other days lost this winter) will be added on and taken after the official end of the school year in June.
Teachers buggering off on holiday the weekend after the official term date? Tough, you are in a few more days....

Eli Panic said:
Point 7. Why aren't schools maintained to that they can keep the school heated to the minimum requirement? Every other place of work must meet this requirement, but it appears you are saying schools don't need to heat themselves because they can just close when it is too cold.
Lots of rules that apply to companies don't seem to apply to schools. Funny the government aren't as quick to enforce these rules when they're the one paying the bill. You think you'd be allowed to make an office worker sit in a chair like that for 5 hours a day?

Eli Panic said:
denislawsbackheel said:
Eli Panic said:
Why do some schools send children home when it snows? I can't think of one reason why this should happen. I can think of many why it shouldn't.

1. Parents have to finish work to collect their kids, or be at home with them.

2. Parents could be at work many miles away, can't get to school quickly anyway, and might need to take annual leave.

3. Grandparents or carers might be elderly and it could be dangerous to expect them to attend school.

4. It is not dangerous to keep kids at school when it is snowing.

5. Kids live near school and can normally walk home.

6. Buses aren't available at the early closure time, so parents have to make the arrangements for kids who can't walk home. What's the difference between doing this after school or at midday?

7. School boiler could be broken. Tough. Get a service contract like everyone else.

8. Teachers get to leave early. Why can't they leave at 3pm? Every other worker has to leave at their normal finishing time.

I am trying hard to find a good reason for this, yet we all accept it as normal but inconvenient.

I'll bite.
Most of this bollocks can be answered by the following
Please tell me of a primary school that did this.

If a secondary school the kids can let themselves in.

point 2 go to your local school or accept the inconveniences associated with "choice"

point 7 health and safety at work legislation that protects your rights also protects teachers and children from working in low temperatures.

point 8 do you actually know that teachers all left early or is it that chip on your shoulder deciding it?

I worked in schools where on several occasions I was there until 7pm waiting for some twat of a parent to turn up to collect their child. It was always the same pillocks who thought schools were child minding services to run at their convenience.

Ok then i'll bite back.

st john fisher in haughton green sent kids home at 1.30

Why?

Kids should be safely tucked inside doing lessons at that time irrespective of weather

parents cant rush home from work at an hours notice

there is going to be snow at the school gates at 1.30. There is going to be snow at the school gates at 3.15. What does the early finish achieve?

Oh i know - teachers dont want to get stuck in traffic on the way home like normal people

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.