School holidays, fines going up for absence

Unless the fine is greater than the money families save, it won’t be factored in seriously.

Not that I’m suggesting it should be, because cultural experience is importantly too, but parents won’t care about fines unless they add to the holiday budget.

When I had kids of school age it was annoying that holiday prices shot up as soon as the term ended. Now I’m older I’m glad the little shits are back in class and I can enjoy some peace by the pool.

Just need to expand the fines to nursery places now.

Only joking.

When I had kids of school age it was annoying that holiday prices shot up as soon as the term ended. Now I’m older I’m glad the little shits are back in class and I can enjoy some peace by the pool.

Just need to expand the fines to nursery places now.

Only joking.
Maybe we can think of other people who could be fined.
Pensioners driving during rush hour when they've got all day or going to supermarkets on weekends.
I'd fine them.

We ran into that problem most years when it came to holidays.
However, two years ago, we booked for Florida which meant going on a Wednesday before half term break.
The price was £6999 for the villa and flights. Going on the Saturday was £11,999.
We would have just paid the fine.

So we wrote to the school explaining it was the difference between going or not. And that all our children had 100% attendance records over many years. That we took education seriously, and would happily take "homework" packs with us for them to do while away. (which we did)
We also mentioned no holidays during covid.
Amazingly we got the all clear!

We know others have done the same thing, so maybe it depends on the school and the head etc.
We did something very similar & wrote to our sons primary school to take him out three days early as it meant saving about a grand on the holiday. We were told ‘sorry, we can’t give permission for that, the local authority won’t allow it’ so we took him out anyway, got fined & just paid it as it was so much less then what we saved in the holiday.

We did something very similar & wrote to our sons primary school to take him out three days early as it meant saving about a grand on the holiday. We were told ‘sorry, we can’t give permission for that, the local authority won’t allow it’ so we took him out anyway, got fined & just paid it as it was so much less then what we saved in the holiday.
Three days you shouldn’t be fined, it’s ten periods of absence = 5 full days unless this is a recent change.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.