Season Dilemma

Dingus McDouchey said:
The banner is down. Champs League qualification is minimum requirement every season now.

isn't this what Wenger said and got ridiculed for? I wonder where you would draw the line, and how many years you could carry on with this motto for?

jay_mcfc said:
Depends. Are you looking at it as a fan or from a financial aspect. Fans should always want a trophy and a trip to Wembley, it's the thing we all dreamt of as kids. Unfortunately the way football is now it is better for the club to finish second.

Sad really.

As a fan I'd rather finish second, it's about looking at the long term. I'd rather we had a long term plan to consistently win trophies than win the cup this year and do a portsmouth<br /><br />-- Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:29 pm --<br /><br />
mansour's tow ropes said:
Dingus McDouchey said:
The banner is down. Champs League qualification is minimum requirement every season now.

isn't this what Wenger said and got ridiculed for? I wonder where you would draw the line, and how many years you could carry on with this motto for?

The difference is that for us champs league qual is the minimum requirement. For arsenal it seems to be the only requirement

FA Cup for me everytime - its the short-termist in me....had enough ofso-called 5 year plans during the dark days under Royle etc.

...besides us winning the FA Cup also implies stopping United winning the Double and you can bet that after last year, that's exactly what they are after.

The FA Semi is really important because it will define our season.

This thread has depressed me.

People would really rather finish a couple of places higher up the league than win a major trophy just so you get entry into another competition that we're highly unlikely to win anyway?

I can remember having a sort of similar conversation sometime in the late 80's and we all agreed we would settle for City winning the FA Cup and going bust the next day.

Now we'd give it up for the sake of moving up a few places in the worlds richest clubs list.

tidyman said:
This thread has depressed me.

People would really rather finish a couple of places higher up the league than win a major trophy just so you get entry into another competition that we're highly unlikely to win anyway?

I can remember having a sort of similar conversation sometime in the late 80's and we all agreed we would settle for City winning the FA Cup and going bust the next day.

Now we'd give it up for the sake of moving up a few places in the worlds richest clubs list.
The goalposts have shifted considerably though, especially following the introduction of the FFP regs. Just one season out of the tedious Champions League at this point in our development could have disastrous consequences on our longer-term ability to compete at the top of the league because it would blow a huge hole in our finances.

There'd be no new star signings in the summer, and existing stars would almost certainly have to be sold in order to balance things up. The club would be poorer off in terms of the quality of the team and also poorer off in terms of being able to invest in getting us back to the top.

Before FFP, I'd go for the Cup and 5th place every time, but we simply have to finish in the top 4 this year. Once we're more established, a one-year blip would be manageable, but it would be disastrous at this point.

The Pink Panther said:
There is no "dilema"

And what's with all these fucking "what would you prefer" threads? We enter everything to win
Would you prefer there to be:

A) no more "would you prefer...?" threads?

or

B) a continuation of "would you prefer...?" threads?

Vienna_70 said:
The Pink Panther said:
There is no "dilema"

And what's with all these fucking "what would you prefer" threads? We enter everything to win

Agreed.

The "What would you prefer" threads are completely stupid.

That's why I rarely, if ever participate in them.

What would you prefer ? A forum without " what would you prefer" threads, or do you prefer the forum with "what would you prefer" threads ? Vote now.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.