Sebastian Coe v Steve Ovett

Those were indeed great times for athletics in the UK. I recall preferring Coe, but then I'm.a soft southerner.

I recall watching Steve Cram right in the mix too though, The Jarrow Arrow.

Alan Wells was mentioned earlier, 100m gold at the 1980 Olympics, that's certainly one for the history books.

I think 800/1500 are perfect race distances for TV, enough time to enjoy it but not too long

Initially, it was Coe, until I saw his reaction to defeat in the 800m to Ovett in Moscow. I thought, what a poor loser.

I went right off him. I went even further off him, when he became a Tory twat, and his stock fell even further, when he became my MP. He was fucking useless.

He and his wife loved the area so much that she went to London for the birth of their first child. Thankfully, he only lasted one parliament.
I don't recall that but I was only 10 at the time. I was also too young to really know much about politics although I grew up in a largely Labour-voting family but in any case, I had no idea whether Coe was a Tory or not back then so yeah, it was always Coe for me, and a few years later it was Steve Cram who had some great battles not just with Coe and Ovett but also with Said Aouita.

Back then, athletics was a great watch. Almost every week in the summer months there would be athletics on prime-time terrestrial TV. Many of those meetings at home and on the continent would usually have at least one event where all the best athletes in the world would gather for an epic face-off and maybe an attempt at a world-record.

Great athletes but wasn't too keen on either of them, Coe 'posh and spoilt' and Ovett seemed to be a bit of a weirdo :)

Last edited:
I don't recall that but I was only 10 at the time. I was also too young to really know much about politics although I grew up in a largely Labour-voting family but in any case, I had no idea whether Coe was a Tory or not back then so yeah, it was always Coe for me, and a few years later it was Steve Cram who had some great battles not just with Coe and Ovett but also with Said Aouita.

Back then, athletics was a great watch. Almost every week in the summer months there would be athletics on prime-time terrestrial TV. Many of those meetings at home and on the continent would usually have at least one event where all the best athletes in the world would gather for an epic face-off and maybe an attempt at a world-record.
Athletics, like practically every sport, was more accessible to the public back then.

Dear Mr Murdoch and his ilk have a lot to answer for.

Coe was the twat who bollocked up the London Olympic ticket allocation.

Almost impossible to get tickets as an ordinary man in the street. He had given so many to companies offering hotel/ticket packages and to the hundreds of competing nations. It was farcical when the said nations were offering their tickets for sale as soon as they arrived in London having failed to sell them back in their own countries.

Sebastian Coe is a complete and utter self-centred TWAT.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.