Self defence at work

I work for a small town council, and in the last few years the abuse we get when working in the town has increased a lot. At night or early evening there are fights and stabbings fairly regular, a lot of homeless and drinking problems around the town. People get us confused with the main council ( district ) and have a go at us for all types of problems that are nothing to do with us. At a staff meeting I brought this up and asked if we could have self defence lessons, which was met with laugher from the town clerk, who works in an office. I thought any health and safety issue should be taken seriously !.

My mate who works for another council in the county was chatting on our way up to a City game the other week and he told me that their workforce are discussing with their council the wearing of stab vest as one of their workers was threaten with a knife when street cleaning.

We have another staffing meeting soon so might up the anti and ask for a stab vest .

have any of you guys and girls had self defence lessons for your work ? I would like to know how common it is ….cheers
Make sure your concern suggestion at any meeting are minuted, along with the comments of the person dismissing them.

This is actually a safe guarding / lone working issue
There should be a policy in place for each, reviewed on a yearly basis especially when concerns have been raised.

We use lone worker units and then have practices in place such as work buddies who you contact before and after leaving site

Safety always comes first, I know of people threatened with shot guns just for doing their job

I work for a small town council, and in the last few years the abuse we get when working in the town has increased a lot. At night or early evening there are fights and stabbings fairly regular, a lot of homeless and drinking problems around the town. People get us confused with the main council ( district ) and have a go at us for all types of problems that are nothing to do with us. At a staff meeting I brought this up and asked if we could have self defence lessons, which was met with laugher from the town clerk, who works in an office. I thought any health and safety issue should be taken seriously !.

My mate who works for another council in the county was chatting on our way up to a City game the other week and he told me that their workforce are discussing with their council the wearing of stab vest as one of their workers was threaten with a knife when street cleaning.

We have another staffing meeting soon so might up the anti and ask for a stab vest .

have any of you guys and girls had self defence lessons for your work ? I would like to know how common it is ….cheers

Maybe suggest the town clerk accomponies staff on a few evening shifts to see what is going on and how amusing it is then.

council has a duty of care to it's employees, if you have evidence of being threatened, and other workers from other businesses getting the it should be taken seriously, not just laughed off at the meeting.

Too many work shy doley scum in this country unfortunately, and working fellas like yourself bearing the brunt of it. I've had it when doing work around council houses, I luckily have not been assaulted and I find a lot of the whining from them quite funny.

Nothing stopping you taking up Muay Thai or boxing a few nights a week at a local club mate.
Totally agree, need to get rid of those work shy managers like Morrison's. !

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.