September 11

buckshot

It was 22 years ago today, I'll never forget the feeling of living in a country that was under attack. I was just pulling into work and had the Howard Stern show on and Baba Booey came into the studio and said a plane hit the WTC. I got into the office and let everybody know and we all went in the break room and saw the 2nd plane hit live on tv. I had a meeting scheduled later in the morning and they wanted to keep the appointment, it was so weird to drive to it while keeping an eye on the sky to look for more planes.

Eight days later I went to see the Phillies play the Braves. At one point a plane flew over the stadium and Braves pitcher John Burkett stepped off the mound and was visibly shook we were all waiting for the next attack. I'm usually not one to dwell on things but that feeling is something I'll never forget. Everybody everywhere was paranoid. To this day it still feels like the day I stopped thinking about things like a kid, it made us all grow up and stop taking things for granted.

What would the world look like if that never happened?

was in work listening to radio when news broke of the attacks, radio just broke from normal coverage as news was regularly updating with all the events as they happened, I finished work at 4:30pm UK time and drove to Nottingham as City were playing Notts County that night, the game should never have been played nobody wanted to be there, the atmosphere was the strangest I've ever experienced at a game, drove home and put news on shortly after midnight and that was when I actually saw the footage of the 2nd plane hit the WTC and although I had heard for past few hours what had happened nothing was like seeing it, that was the worst day I've ever experienced in my 46 years.

was in work listening to radio when news broke of the attacks, radio just broke from normal coverage as news was regularly updating with all the events as they happened, I finished work at 4:30pm UK time and drove to Nottingham as City were playing Notts County that night, the game should never have been played nobody wanted to be there, the atmosphere was the strangest I've ever experienced at a game, drove home and put news on shortly after midnight and that was when I actually saw the footage of the 2nd plane hit the WTC and although I had heard for past few hours what had happened nothing was like seeing it, that was the worst day I've ever experienced in my 46 years.
Was just about to post similar. If ever a game didnt need extra time it was this one.

Just had to Google that as I also went. Couldn't remember the score or anything about it. Extra time win but I don't recall anything apart from Colosimo playing. Can picture where I was sat but that's about it. Even now, the plane crash looks almost surreal. World changed forever that day

Watch a couple of programs over the weekend about that fateful day - there are still instances that genuinely shock regardless of the number of times you’ve seen them. There were also images that I can’t recall of ever seeing previously such as the collapse of WTC 7 and the fire crews reactions to falling bodies. It’s no wonder the PTSD some of these guys suffered / still suffering.

I was ill off school lay on the sofa watching MTV. Black box came in the middle of the screen that said "Please turn to news channel, immediately" as it came on the second plane went in. I was 15 and still remember that entire day.

The world changed forever that day. Exactly what they wanted

Cunts.

I remember going round a mates after school and seeing it and it just looked so fake. It's something that shocks every time you see it. I feel like I was watching when the 2nd plane struck but looking at the timings I don't think I could have - memories have tricked me.

When you watch any programmes about it that shock factor remains, it must still haunt thousands of people.

Almost 3,000 died and sadly almost 7,000 US soldiers plus 8,000 contractors have died in the subsequent wars on terror. Then you have the death of innocent people within those countries and the indirect deaths as a consequence of war. It has been a hugely defining moment in foreign policy that has dominated all of my adult life up to the point Russia then invaded the Ukraine.

I was in school, remember finding out about it in a science class then going home and watching the news for hours and hours.

Just horrific. And avoidable.

Lawrence Wright’s ‘The Looming Tower’ is amazing (and very long - I read it in lockdown) book of the years leading up to 9/11 and includes a lot of detail into the infighting, poor cooperation and dick swinging that went on between the CIA and FBI that led to the terrorists slipping through the net.

I never appreciated the true horror of this at 10 years old and only came to realise the scale as I got older, and watched some interesting documentaries over the last few years. As said in a post above, it's weird to believe that something like this actually happened in a major world city, if it was a film script you'd feel a bit suss about writing it. A very dark day of which the ripples are still felt.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.