September 11

My point being, if you do see it, why bother reading it ? You and me both know it's just shit.

It was a very sad day for many many people, I knew (vaguely) somebody who worked in one of the towers (a blue) it was quite a while before we found out he was safe.

I was watching the news as the first aircraft hit the building, the first news was "light aircraft", and we were going to the supermarket, came home to find the full horror of what was going on, not mention the other parts of that day, my cousin is married to a senior officer (at the time) in the US army, and his office was in the Pentagon, luckily he wasn't in office, though I didn't know that at the time.
Was the blue called Martin H?

I’ve never noticed these window cleaners on WT7 building before.
Can you imagine their horror once they got to the top

I visited New York in September 1998 with my parents, and on the morning of September 11th, my parents were faffing about, so I ventured out solo to get my bearings.
Went for a trip on the Statten Island ferry out and back to get some photos of the Manhattan skyline, then decided to ascend the WTC to visit the "Windows on the World" exhibition. I did actually turn up at the wrong tower initially and was confused when the lift concierge asked me if I was dining with them this morning.
When I did eventually find the correct tower, I had to go through security because of the recent basement bombing.
The view from the top of the tower was spectacular and stayed there for a couple of hours taking it all in. I even got some photos through the small section of glass floor.
Three years later, almost exactly to the hour, I was absolutely horified by the news. Having looked down through that glass floor, I realised the distances involved for those who had the devastating choice between jumping or burning.
I've since returned to WTC memorial and spent some time trying to contemplate the horror of that day. Given the current peacefulness of the memorial it's really hard to imagine, but the scale of it, with the number of names etched into the two memorials is quite terrifying.

Had a ticket to fly back from the US at the end of our honeymoon from Florida on 11th Sept 2001 (still have the ticket somewhere in the house). We knew nothing about it until we reached the outer perimeter of the airport where we were stopped by a man waving his arms and telling us we weren't going anywhere and I quote his words "All of America is under attack" at which point the new Mrs KC went rather pale.
Needless to say it was a pretty worrying and strange 5 days we were stuck in the US. We were one of the first flights back to the UK and instead of landing at Manchester we were sent to Gatwick.

If you haven't watched it the documentary on BBC Iplayer "9/11 Inside the presidents war room" is a fascinating watch which shows how unprepared the US was for such an attack.

Had a ticket to fly back from the US at the end of our honeymoon from Florida on 11th Sept 2001 (still have the ticket somewhere in the house). We knew nothing about it until we reached the outer perimeter of the airport where we were stopped by a man waving his arms and telling us we weren't going anywhere and I quote his words "All of America is under attack" at which point the new Mrs KC went rather pale.
Needless to say it was a pretty worrying and strange 5 days we were stuck in the US. We were one of the first flights back to the UK and instead of landing at Manchester we were sent to Gatwick.

If you haven't watched it the documentary on BBC Iplayer "9/11 Inside the presidents war room" is a fascinating watch which shows how unprepared the US was for such an attack.
Watched that and couldn’t believe how bad the tech was on Airforce One, tbh Bush had campaigned im sure in the we won’t police the world anymore and was trying not to get involved until the war came to them. Imagine Trump pulling out of NATO, Putin would’ve definitely tried it on after defeating Ukraine.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.