Serie A 2018/19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree, but actually more than that, Southgate in some distress recognising his own perspective limitations as a white man to be commenting on what should and shouldn't be done was impressive too. And correct.

I appreciated that from him, but while there are obvious perspective limitations in understanding what Sterling, Hudson-Odoi, Rose etc are experiencing and hence perhaps not in a great position to offer advice on how they should handle it (take note Bonucci!),helpful solutions can't just come from the black community. I'd love to hear Southgate's thoughts if he thinks he has good ideas on how to tackle the problem.

As cliched as it might sound, we're one society and we all live in the country together, it's up to all of us as collective to look after each other and push for progress.

I appreciated that from him, but while there are obvious perspective limitations in understanding what Sterling, Hudson-Odoi, Rose etc are experiencing and hence perhaps not in a great position to advice on how they should handle it (take note Bonucci!),helpful solutions can't just come from the black community. I'd love to hear Southgate's thoughts if he thinks he has good ideas on how to tackle the problem.

As cliched as it might sound, we're one society and we all live in the country together, it's up to all of us as collective to look after each other and push for progress.

Completely fair point, but I was more referring to his impressive self-awareness in the minutes after it all happened. Southgate is intelligent enough to have a considered view, but his ability to choose the right words at the right time does receive my admiration, and in that moment, they were the right words.

Completely fair point, but I was more referring to his impressive self-awareness in the minutes after it all happened. Southgate is intelligent enough to have a considered view, but his ability to choose the right words at the right time does receive my admiration, and in that moment, they were the right words.

Oh yes, for sure. We're in full agreement there. If I was en England player, I'd feel like I could go to war for him, knowing he'd always have my back and protect me where he could.

Oh yes, for sure. We're in full agreement there. If I was en England player, I'd feel like I could go to war for him, knowing he'd always have my back and protect me where he could.

Apropos of nothing except that you reminded me, I've always thought the absolutely perfect phrase when describing someone who's offered leadership like that is "you'd follow them to the gates of hell". Anyway, a mere aside! :-D

I feel for the fella, some of these young black players probably have it in their head that they expect to hear that kind of abuse (especially in Italy), as fucked as that is. But to then have your manager and captain not back you, and instead sympathize with racists would have to feel absolutely awful.

Fuck Bonucci and fuck Allegri for not standing up to racism when they had the perfect opportunity to do so.

Edit: Just realized Chiellini is the captain, but still fuck Bonucci.

Last edited:
True, but sadly the FA and PL have shown they need to be forced into action. If Sterling had walked off the pitch at Stamford Bridge with the full backing of his manager and teammates, the backlash and the outcry to do more would be overwhelming and hard to ignore.

Something has to be the catalyst for change. Sterling has already done a lot for the cause, and as a black man, my respect for him has gone up tenfold in the last few months.

I liked that Southgate, when he was condemning Montenegro also highlighted that we also have our own problems closer to home.
You and I agree, I am just speaking about what needs to be done *functionally* to allow for the sort of actions that should already be taking place. I have a tendency to want to go beyond merely discussing the problem and really debate possible solutions which also tend to be on the “can be implemented now” variety. :-)

The PL and FA are far behind where they should be, and the club needs to follow Raz to their gates on this.

Just looking at the weekend highlights. 2 great goals from Caicedo . That brings back memories

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.