Sex Pistols Gigs, Free Trade Hall, June/July 1976

bluemoon32 said:
Pfft, all these top bands i never saw. Although i did see Simply Red at Cardiff University in the late 80's. The reason i remember it well is that it was a god awful gig but the bird that dragged me to see them asked me to smash her back doors in later on that night.
I've seen the Damned,the Stranglers,the Clash and the Jam(in a tent),but I was seeing this bird who was a big Michael Jackson fan.
She begged me to go and see with her at Wembley,her treat and I finally relented.
Not my favourite musical experience,but the same result as you,at least Jacko was a Fulham supporter not a rag.

waterloo blue said:
bluemoon32 said:
Pfft, all these top bands i never saw. Although i did see Simply Red at Cardiff University in the late 80's. The reason i remember it well is that it was a god awful gig but the bird that dragged me to see them asked me to smash her back doors in later on that night.
I've seen the Damned,the Stranglers,the Clash and the Jam(in a tent),but I was seeing this bird who was a big Michael Jackson fan.
She begged me to go and see with her at Wembley,her treat and I finally relented.
Not my favourite musical experience,but the same result as you,at least Jacko was a Fulham supporter not a rag.

Jam in a tent in Uppermill?

I remember seeing Ian Dury and the Blockheads at the Free Trade hall in 1978, I was taken there by a friend, I did not know who Ian Dury was. The first thing that happened was some guy in a long coat, flat cap limped to the middle of the stage, there was complete silence, he started shouting Oy Oy, that was the start of one of the best performances I have seen. Was Ian Dury a punk or have I gone off thread??

tidyman said:
Apologies for taking this way off topic but they won the jackpot on Celebrity Pointless the other week by giving the answer, My Way, to the question, Name Sex Pistols top 20 hits?

Surely it was Sid on his own wasn't it?
After Rotten left the band McLaren was determined to milk the Pistols for all they were worth.
He sent Cook & Jones to Rio to meet Ronnie Biggs where an interview and vocals for a song "The Biggest Blow" were recorded.
Sid was encouraged to become a cartoon punk idol and did lame covers of My Way/Something Else/C'mon Everybody which made a lot of money for Malcolm and a small amount for the remaining Pistols.
Jones played guitar/bass and Cook the drums on the cash-in singles.

Deepest Blue said:
tidyman said:
Apologies for taking this way off topic but they won the jackpot on Celebrity Pointless the other week by giving the answer, My Way, to the question, Name Sex Pistols top 20 hits?

Surely it was Sid on his own wasn't it?
After Rotten left the band McLaren was determined to milk the Pistols for all they were worth.
He sent Cook & Jones to Rio to meet Ronnie Biggs where an interview and vocals for a song "The Biggest Blow" were recorded.
Sid was encouraged to become a cartoon punk idol and did lame covers of My Way/Something Else/C'mon Everybody which made a lot of money for Malcolm and a small amount for the remaining Pistols.
Jones played guitar/bass and Cook the drums on the cash-in singles.

I enjoyed the band Jones and Cook went on to form with Phil Lynott and Scott Gorham of Thin Lizzy, The Greedy Bastards aka The Greedies (for media coverage)

RadcliffeRick said:
I remember seeing Ian Dury and the Blockheads at the Free Trade hall in 1978, I was taken there by a friend, I did not know who Ian Dury was. The first thing that happened was some guy in a long coat, flat cap limped to the middle of the stage, there was complete silence, he started shouting Oy Oy, that was the start of one of the best performances I have seen. Was Ian Dury a punk or have I gone off thread??
Not punk at all,his backing band were fantastique,Chaz Jankel and Andy Pavey,later on Wilko Johnson and were brilliant at the Apollo in 1979.
Lyrically funny and clever and very English(Razzle in my Pocket),you can't imagine a polio sufferer in his thirties being in a chart topping band these days,although these Voice/Talent shows would love the back story.

waterloo blue said:
RadcliffeRick said:
Not punk at all,his backing band were fantastique,Chaz Jankel and Andy Pavey,later on Wilko Johnson and were brilliant at the Apollo in 1979.
Lyrically funny and clever and very English(Razzle in my Pocket),you can't imagine a polio sufferer in his thirties being in a chart topping band these days,although these Voice/Talent shows would love the back story.

Norman Watt Roy of said Blockheads is appearing at The Railway Venue, Bromley Cross, Bolton next week (best small venue in UK) and the owner Jon announced yesterday that Wilko Johnson will be joining him...

siwright said:
waterloo blue said:
bluemoon32 said:

Jam in a tent in Uppermill?
Yep. I was there with a load from Gorton. The free drinks the off licence were `giving` away were a bonus.

I was too young for the start of all of this - 12 in '76 - but my brother is seven years older and went to lots of the gigs as he was at the poly. He was a bit of a hippy really and was prob a little old for it all to really mean much to him but through him and his chums (and then me going to secondary school that year) I quickly went from "oooh, abba are nice 'cos my sister says so" to "feckoffyerfeckinfecker" posh south manchester punks.

I was hooked on the uk scene for a while then really into import US stuff and used to get an LP a week from discount records in alty to add to the collection and growing john peel tapes recorded under the bedclothes late at night on my clock/radio/tape player I saved up for from pocket money for months and got the bus in to manc to buy...

Seen most of the punk bands over the years including the blackpool winter gardens festival each year where they drag themselves out, ever aging.

Last year I saw probably my best ever "punk" gig at Kendal Calling music festival... search "Jazzhands at kendal calling" on you tube.... just immense! three drummers, a bass, sax and a guy with a cowbell - it's all about orange...

Let uncle Phil tell you the story of punk with some top drumming and moody bass playing thrown in....
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GMkmoww1VU[/youtube]
..."Before we knew it the old wave was gone and controlled."

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.