Sex Pistols Gigs, Free Trade Hall, June/July 1976

Davs 19 said:
Lavinda Past said:
I was at the second FTH gig... Spent almost all of the Slaughter set talking to Howard Devoto. The Pistols were errr 'different' but obviously something a bit special.

For over 35 years I thought that it was the 'legendary' first gig I'd attended... My good friend Mad Eyed Screamer put me right on that in no uncertain terms not so long ago (he made me feel a right ****) :)

I was never a great fan of British punk. Once I saw the Ramones, I realised that all other 'punk' bands were second raters.

Gabba Gabba Hey!

The pistols were amazing that night. The Ramones were a top band......Buzzcocks, Clash, Ruts, SLF were anything but second class.

We were at the same gig and I also spent a bit of time with Devoto that night as Shelley was a mutual friend. Small world ;.)

Small world indeed Dave!

Steve Diggle's brother did my damp course when I lived in Hyde (well his name was Diggle and he said his brother was in the 'cocks)

I'll agree with you on the Buzzcocks and SLF, but I was never a fan of the Ruts and the Clash were crap live and massively overrated imo...

Lavinda sits back and awaits savage onslaught from incensed Clash loving muffinites ;)

The Pink Panther said:
-dabz- said:
My mate deffo was...he was the drummer in Slaughter and the dogs who was on the same bill. Told me some cracking stories about the whole era.
<a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slaughter_&_The_Dogs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slaughter_&_The_Dogs</a>
Jonathon Ross once said in a documentary that Slaughter were his favourite band at the time.

Personally, I thought they were crap, but good on them for getting as far as they did.

Ahh yes, "Where have all the boot boys gone!!"
I had that on a 12" single
A

Cranked up really high!

Deepest Blue said:
Barcon said:
I remember coming back into town from a night match, it must have been 76-77, there were a group of punks at the back of the bus singing beat on the brat with a baseball bat. It was the first time I had seen or heard of punks. Within two weeks we were all raiding our Grandads wardrobe for old shit stopper pants and getting our Grans to sew zips in the legs. I can clearly remember Siouxsie being the only band yet to sign a record deal (bought Hong Kong Garden the day it came out in the underground market), and being given Another Music badges at the Clash gig at Belle Vue. I still have all the old singles from back then and get them out occasionaly.
How can you like Ramones but not have time for Beach Boys?
Da Bruddaz would not have existed without the Boys.

Never did think much of the Ramones to be honest (although Blitzkgrieg Bop and Sheena were great, not sure how they are anything like the beach boys to be honest.

White Riot, Borstal Breakout, Breakdown, Neat Neat Neat, Carcass were/are more my flavour.<br /><br />-- Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:39 pm --<br /><br />
kinkysleftfoot said:
The Pink Panther said:
-dabz- said:
My mate deffo was...he was the drummer in Slaughter and the dogs who was on the same bill. Told me some cracking stories about the whole era.
<a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slaughter_&_The_Dogs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slaughter_&_The_Dogs</a>
Jonathon Ross once said in a documentary that Slaughter were his favourite band at the time.

Personally, I thought they were crap, but good on them for getting as far as they did.

Ahh yes, "Where have all the boot boys gone!!"
I had that on a 12" single
A

Cranked up really high!

One of the greatest punk tunes ever mate.

siwright said:
Pretty sure Tony Wilson only went to the second one. There's a good account of both in Paul Morley's The North.[/

This is a great book IMO.
Especially if you are from South Manchester.
Full of the History of Manchester from the Danes to Sergio's winner.
Written by a City fan who was at Newcastle (the first time)
Full of Music and Manchester info, get if for Xmas lads you will not be disapointed.

tidyman said:
I have a very vague recollection of going to see The Pistols at Civic Centre Forum in Wythenshawe at some point around then. But getting turned away because we weren't 18. Just been looking at a list of their gigs and can find no record of it though. So I'm probabaly imagining the whole thing and we got turned away from pitch and putt and Wythenshawe Park or something.

I noticed when looking through the list that they played at Didsbury College on 01/10/76 though.

Never heard this mentioned before.

Any of the 100,000 who claim to be at The Free Trade Hall at this one too?

It was probably a Slaughter & The Dogs gig you nearly attended. They played The Forum a couple of times.

On a side note, does anyone remember a tv programme called ' Revolver ' on a Saturday night presented by Peter Cook. A great show with live punk bands on.

bada bing said:
tidyman said:
I have a very vague recollection of going to see The Pistols at Civic Centre Forum in Wythenshawe at some point around then. But getting turned away because we weren't 18. Just been looking at a list of their gigs and can find no record of it though. So I'm probabaly imagining the whole thing and we got turned away from pitch and putt and Wythenshawe Park or something.

I noticed when looking through the list that they played at Didsbury College on 01/10/76 though.

It was probably a Slaughter & The Dogs gig you nearly attended. They played The Forum a couple of times.

On a side note, does anyone remember a tv programme called ' Revolver ' on a Saturday night presented by Peter Cook. A great show with live punk bands on.

I remember that, seem to remember the Sid Vicous - My Way video being shown for the first time on there.

bada bing said:
tidyman said:

here you go

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npscfm-B_A4[/youtube]

Lavinda Past said:
I was at the second FTH gig... Spent almost all of the Slaughter set talking to Howard Devoto. The Pistols were errr 'different' but obviously something a bit special.

For over 35 years I thought that it was the 'legendary' first gig I'd attended... My good friend Mad Eyed Screamer put me right on that in no uncertain terms not so long ago (he made me feel a right ****) :)

I was never a great fan of British punk. Once I saw the Ramones, I realised that all other 'punk' bands were second raters.

Gabba Gabba Hey!

About time I was shown a bit of respect around here ;)

-- Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:16 pm --

tidyman said:

The Pistols did not play Wythenshawe Civic or Didsbury College (later the Poly, now the Met Uni).

I've never heard anyone mention the Civic before - but you are right - the Didsbury gig IS listed in the gig guide but never happened.

Stephen Morris (drummer Joy Division / New Order) said in an interview that he heard about the gig and went to the college but when they got there it was a lie and just a ruse by some wanna be punk band who were playing to attract a decent crowd.

The Pistols played 5 times in Manchester - twice at the FTH, once at Granada TV for 'So It Goes' and twice at the Electric Circus

This book - by Dave Nolan is a fantasic account of the two gigs at the FTH and Granada TV with interviews of those who ''Swear They Were There''!
i_swear_i_was_there_450.jpg

Didsbury Dave said:
Blue2112 said:
Didsbury Dave said:
Punk and metal were more closely related than either cared to admit.

I always and still do believe that Punk was for blokes that weren't good enough to play Metal. Never could understand why my mates used to all say 'why do you like heavy metal you cant understand anything they're supposed to be singing and it's all just noise' yet I've always thought metal musicians to be unequalled in their playing.

That was kind of the point, though. Punk opened the door to young working class lads to form their own band with their own sound. Music was never the same.

Black Sabbath were once young working class lads...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.