Shackleton and the Endurance

"I'm just going for a short walk.
I may be gone for some time"!!!

So English.
Scott apparently didn't say anything. He knew what it meant. Oates was committing suicide so as not to hold up the party. He had very bad frostbite at that point.

As a child, I was briefly introduced to either his son or his grandson (can't remember which, it's sixty years ago, I suppose it would almost certainly be his grandson). My father said to me "This is the grandson (or son) of Captain Oates”. Didn't mean a thing to me then, of course.

They never found Amundsen's body in the Arctic, either (much later on).

"I'm just going for a short walk.
I may be gone for some time"!!!
That was Captain Oats. Scott's expedition. The quote was." I'm going outside now. I may be some time." And he was. Still out there. He detested Scott at the end.

For all those interested...get on this....Amundsen was first mate....the lad had form..
View attachment 38236

Amundsen had the best possible training for what he did, having been in effect mentored by the great Norwegian explorer Fridjof Nansen. He listened to a lot of the stuff that Nansen had learnt in his crossing of Greenland — clothes, boots, choice of skis etc.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.