Shackleton and the Endurance

I remember when the Mary Rose was being brought up so I faked a day off school with sickness . Watched it all day and all they brought up was a load of old wood that looked like telegraph poles . Load of shit
The Swedish ship the Vasa which went down off Stockholm c. 1600-something was brought up from the depths and is in better shape, still looks like a sailing ship.

Re. Shackleton and Scott, yes, both are heroic stories. When I was about 11 I saw Scott's diary on show in the British Museum, open to the last page and his dying inscription in faint pencil "It seems a pity but I do not think I can write more." Then a P.S. "For God's sake look after our people."

In the 80s ITV broadcast the drama series “The Last Place on Earth” which starred Martin Shaw as Scott. It also had Max Von Sydow and young looking Hugh Grant and Bill Nighy.
I have it on DVD. Main gripe is they relied on Roland Huntsford as an advisor so it painted Scott in a bad light.
There was some typically 80s cheesy music too but it did tell the story.

Shackleton made his expedition in persute of an overland crossing of antarctica but was trapped by the ice. The current tv pictures of Endurance final resting place sitting many leagues under the dark abyss of the wedel sea was a sight to behold reminding me of Franklins fated expedtion to find the northwest passage earlier.

If anyones not familiar with Franklins expedition then Netflix aired a brilliant "drama" series called the Terror that was a totally engrossing watch.

HMS Terror and HMS Erebus left England in 1845 in order to search for the North-West Passage. Both ships were lost and all 129 men on board perished. Both the erubus and terror were found lying in reletavily shallow water and a documentary series was made on the search for them that was nothing short of par-excellent.

Here by courtesy of park canada we get to transverse the innards of the wreck of the Terror

Over seven days, under exceptional weather conditions, the interior spaces of the wreck of HMS Terror were scientifically and systematically explored for the first time. Parks Canada’s Underwater Archaeology Team conducted seven dives and explored 20 cabins/compartments on the ship, in search of uncovering a better understanding of the fate of the Franklin expedition. The team obtained clear images of over 90 per cent of the lower deck of the ship, which includes the living quarters of the crew.

Last edited:
Is anyone else on here also fascinated by the Mallory and Irvine story?
Think there was a thread about it once.
I became interested in it years ago, and when they found Mallory's body I couldn't believe how little time that particular expedition had taken to find it. It was wonderful really, such a brave man. Reckless yes, and his family left behind (including very young children) would have much preferred it if he had stayed home, and not gone on that last attempt.
Yet there was something magnificent in that whole story.
I bought a book many years ago that had photos of Everest at that time. Everest was beautiful, but also (in a way) "beckoning" so I can understand all the climbers at that time (not just Mallory).

I really hope they find Irvine's body one day, and give him the "decent" burial they afforded Mallory.

There's just something very pure about how they did that.

I have also read about the more recent disasters. Everest, it seems, never ceases to draw people in. Some of whom should never have attempted it.

Great post.
Two Hero’s of mine in Shackleton and Scott.
Have you read “The Lost Men” by Kelly Tyler-Lewis. It’s about his Ross Sea Party on the Aurora in 1914 as they tried to lay depots for his cross Antarctica bid.
For Scott I would recommend Sir Ranulph Fiennes book “Captain Scott” which is without equal. Fiennes has done it all himself as you know.
I also enjoyed the Kenneth Branagh drama about the Shackleton 1914 expedition.
Not forgetting the Franklin expedition of course.Just finished reading "Erebus" by Michael Palin.
Superb read and some wonderful photographs.

Not forgetting the Franklin expedition of course.Just finished reading "Erebus" by Michael Palin.
Superb read and some wonderful photographs.

I bump what I said earlier to another poster. Check out the beautiful and mournful “Lord Franklin” by Pentangle (on Youtube). The brilliant acoustic guitarist Bert Jansch takes the lead, and his understated voice seems to convey everything about that ill-fated expedition. Jacqui McShee doing haunting harmonies behind his voice. Someone plays a sea-shanty type accordion behind it — just moaning chords — which is perfect.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.