Shay Given Shits Himself On Set Pieces

smithy167 said:
Freestyler said:
i love Given, haven't got a problem with him at all, i think he's a quality player, just highlighting a massive problem in his game, and at the moment i've never seen him play so bad and at times he's a liability, recently i don't know what happened to him, watch the highlights, looks scared on every set-piece.
So you`re saying its Givens fault the result today? Maybe because you was watching him so close you didnt notice ireland played like dog shit yet again and a few others.

nope not saying that, i only watched him on set-pieces and throw ins, didn't keep my eyes on him all afternoon you know!

Ireland was shit? he was our best player first half, second half he was average but was tired, yes i know others played dog shit, but just highlighting once again another goal which was conceeded which had shay givens name all over it when it came in, everyones talking about it, not just me.

God, I'm so tired of clueless idiots declaring that somebody can't do his jobs, when they are clearly amazing at it. What a load of bullshit.

This is becoming one of the biggest red herring going. Defender,head ball away at any cost, simples. Goalies who come for all the ball eventualy look like clowns flappinng at fresh air. The goalie is not the cause of our defencive problem.

We are so deep when defending from set pieces, you can see the defenders looking back for the keeper, this causes real problems and encourages the opposition to put it deeo into our box.

Any coach knows you cannot defend deep and this is being identified by opppositions.

Even when we win the first header it only goes to the edge of the box at best , Hull second goal, need to be further up.

Plus we do not have a real header of a ball a la Dunnie, Shay has to be braver and come and take crosses, he has good hands maybe a confidence issue.

I wrote about Given's lack of command of his six yard area a couple of months ago in MCIVTA. It was actually in reference to what I thought had changed under Mancini - I noticed that Given was coming out for the ball a lot more in that first game v Stoke, and I credited Mancini for the apparent improvement. Unfortunately, if I was right about that one game (which I may well not have been), they haven't continued with this plan. Maybe Given's told them he's just not comfortable coming out, which would be a fair point from such an experienced keeper. He's good at what he does, and unless we're gonna change keepers, it looks like we'll have to work around it. But it does put a lot of pressure on the defense, and I've also noticed (as pointed out by CPB above), that many of our defensive headers end up right in the middle of the pitch, just outside the penalty area. With most of our players defending so deep, this frequently gives the opposition an unopposed shot at goal, through a crowd of players. Why they don't head it out towards the wings, I don't know.

I have also been on about him for months. Our season will finish if he continues to stay on his line and doesn't comunucate well. His distribution is terrible. Played badly for Ireland in last few games as well

Really don't understand the distribution thing. If Adebayor could actually win something in the air then it would be a completely different story. Who else can he look for?! Also, I don't think his aerial command is a massive problem, we just need some defenders who will actually attack the ball and get rid of it!

sboroMCFC said:
Really don't understand the distribution thing. If Adebayor could actually win something in the air then it would be a completely different story. Who else can he look for?! Also, I don't think his aerial command is a massive problem, we just need some defenders who will actually attack the ball and get rid of it!

So Adebayor wins all the long hoofs played at his head. Where does he head it? To the invisible man? Our midfield support is non existent under Mancini. Not Adebayors fault in the slightest.

ChippyPerthBlue said:
We are so deep when defending from set pieces, you can see the defenders looking back for the keeper, this causes real problems and encourages the opposition to put it deeo into our box.

Any coach knows you cannot defend deep and this is being identified by opppositions.

Even when we win the first header it only goes to the edge of the box at best , Hull second goal, need to be further up.

Plus we do not have a real header of a ball a la Dunnie, Shay has to be braver and come and take crosses, he has good hands maybe a confidence issue.

Just apoint about the Delap thing you cannot be offside from a throw in

the angle his throws come in makes it difficult for a goalkeeper to catch the ball at its highest point.

Shay is still one of the best keepers in the world.
We have a problem with communication between him and the CB's.

Toure not being a leader and making poor decisions+Shay not shouting and staying at home=problem.

We need Komapny back asap.I think with him and Lescott at CB,Micah at RB you will see a much happier Shay.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.