Shay Given

Freestyler

I love this guy to bits, he's won us so many games, tonight though i've had a few mates question me over him with one thing, one a Bolton fan, one a Rochdale and one a bit of a fair unusual rag!, funnily enough they all picked up on his lack of ability to command his area, they think and i think he's the best keeper in the country but they highlighted this problem to me and i've said it for months about this, Joe Hart is exactly the same and i hope he can work on it,

I reckon riena, cech, van der sar, howard would of attacked that cross and punched it away no problems, there's no way you should be on your line when a ball is delivered on your six yard line, my old goalkeeping coach Scott Healey taught me an awful lot and commanding an area was a strong area he worked on with me, any ball that landed un-attacked by myself within 6 yards of my goal line would result in a bollocking for me everytime and he was right,

Tonight on more than a few occasions Given was glued to his line for some other crosses and a few over the top balls, his shot stopping is second to none, you may not find a better shot stopper in the world IMO,

But this commanding his area is something he needs to look at, i know he's late on in his career but if he could work on it and try and do it more and command his area he could be the best keeper in the world, that's why the defence at times are so deep in the box like tonight's 3rd goal for united, our back 4 know Given won't come, he needs to work on it big time, unfortunetely it's the only thing letting him down,

although he is my favourite keeper at City and IMO the best city have had, from what i've seen since i've been going from 1994 onwards.

yes, good point. If he can come out and catch the ball more often, then we will have a very, very good keeper. (not like he isn't already :p)

and once again, a good post by freestyler.

Yeah I agree wholeheartedly. He's made some brilliant saves, and I feel it's maybe a little unfair on him, but his decision making and coming off his line/coming for crosses is poor. He is a world class shot stopper, but, with all do respect, I do now see why none of the 'big four' ever went and got him from Newcastle. I thought in the build up to Carrick's goal he was slow off his line then never quite able to reposition himself properly. And yet again United won a lot of headers from 6 yards out.

Ah, sorry, it's being a bit harsh on him, just the way I feel. It will be interesting to see whether he or Joe are the number one next year.

Been saying it for months now but you can't have an open debate on here anymore and constructively criticise or discuss certain players who are deemed faultless. Shay made two great saves in the derby earlier this season from Berbatov headers only yards out but then we conceded two goals from Fletcher from the same range as Rooneys winner tonight, the edge of the six yard box ffs where if the keeper came he's more than likely to claim the ball or get a foul.

I agree completely with the previous posters. I think Given's inability or unwillingness to command his box is at the root of our defensive frailities. Commanding the area gives the other defenders confindence by taking of the pressure when they are facing their goal. Imho he is far too passive in his own area on through and crossed balls. Another area where he is lacking (although there has been some improvement since RM took over) is his ball distribution. Simply put, it sucks! Almost every time he kicks from hand or from a spot, the ball goes to the opposition. The loss of possession means the pressure is reapplied along with the opportunity to err.

He has the same faults the day we got him, an any Newcastle fan will tell you the same thing.

He is not good with high balls in, does not command his area, fails to hold on to the ball, and dithers on decisions, true he`s a great shot stopper but thats it.

The point made about Joe Hart being the same on commanding the area has been addessed while at brum, as has his other fault with trying to get rid of the ball to quicky at times without seeing whats on.

agree with op great keeper but any ball in six yard box he should punch or catch.you see ave keepers take ball player everything no ref will give foul against keeper always the other way round.he is best shot stopper in world at the moment but so hard from six yards out.even bad a header will get past.

Blue2112 said:
Been saying it for months now but you can't have an open debate on here anymore and constructively criticise or discuss certain players who are deemed faultless. Shay made two great saves in the derby earlier this season from Berbatov headers only yards out but then we conceded two goals from Fletcher from the same range as Rooneys winner tonight, the edge of the six yard box ffs where if the keeper came he's more than likely to claim the ball or get a foul.

Bit like David James in respect of being a good stopper but prefers to let defenders clear from crosses , corners etc.

It must be something he has never been confident about otherwise why wouldn't he.

We will always be more suspect to set piece defending and the likes of the goal that prevented extra time if he doesn't change his ways.

Whether he is too set in his ways to change remains to be seen but until he has a larger presence in the box when required I will regard his as a good keeper rather than an excellent keeper.

He can cover the ground as well as Reina and VDS from what I can gather so it has always puzzled me why on the majority of occasions he stays put

The reason I hear given (no pun intended) most frequently is that it's because he's short. But he's not that short. I wonder if being a 'keeper who is shorter than 6'3'' means that you're coached differently. The best 'keeper I know is around Shay's height and has the exact same problem-brilliant shot stopper but never comes to claim. I know this is a stupidly small sample size, but it's something I've always wondered about.

And I don't remember Joe being as bad as Shay when coming off his line. It wasn't his strongest suit, but he wasn't constantly rooted to the spot either. And it's been mentioned above but I think he's gotten better about it at Birmingham.

Just to add some perspective to this debate, think of the 'keepers the teams around/above us have:
Chelsea: Chech-dodgy as
Gooners: Almunia-pretty rubbish
rags: VDS-good distribution but he has a lot of ropey moments too
Spurs: Gomes-I rate him and think he's past his ropey patch but he still blows hot and cold
Villa: Friedel-debatably joint best of the lot with
Liverpool: Renia

I'd put Shay just behind Reina (quick off his line, not great in the air, quality distribution) and Friedel (incredibly sturdy) so though he has his faults, it's not as though he's that bad

mancity1 said:
Blue2112 said:

Bit like David James in respect of being a good stopper but prefers to let defenders clear from crosses , corners etc.

It must be something he has never been confident about otherwise why wouldn't he.

We will always be more suspect to set piece defending and the likes of the goal that prevented extra time if he doesn't change his ways.

Whether he is too set in his ways to change remains to be seen but until he has a larger presence in the box when required I will regard his as a good keeper rather than an excellent keeper.

He can cover the ground as well as Reina and VDS from what I can gather so it has always puzzled me why on the majority of occasions he stays put

Good post.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.