Sheffield United (A) | PL | Post-Match Thread

Ok, Blades fan here, didn't want to write loads on initial message as it said on the bottom of the page I didn't have enough credit to message! So hope I hope this lands and I hope you don't mind an opposing fan on here, but I just thought it may be of interest as a Blades fan and also to just give an alternative views on yesterday. I've read through the Views From City on our forum, I notice it's got a mention on here with the comment "what a bunch of vaginas! on here! Lol.

Fans will always see their own club's perspective and generally defend their club to the hilt solely because it's their club. I am a very passionate Blades fan but like to think I am fairly balanced in my view also.

So from reading the City fans views on yesterday's match which I thought was a really great match to watch, and there's a few things City fans said which I wanted to respond to, hope this is not seen as a dig back, it's not intended.

Firstly the "parking the bus". I was surprised at how most City fans on here were critical of us parking the bus which I will admit we did, and I think we did it reasonably well for the most part. Yes City could have ran out 4/5 nil winners but we limited City to less chances than we would have done had we "had a go". There's no way on God's earth that we could have "had a go" , we'd have ended up losing by a ridiculous margin! When you're playing a team of City's quality you can only sporadically attack and have to be so careful to not lose possession when doing so because one intercepted pass when we're attacking and City are straight back at you and they'll just pick us off. The only chance is to limit the space both in behind and just in shear numbers. I saw one City fan saying that if you attack then you can get something out of the game like what Leicester and Brighton did. Leicester may have got relegated but the team they had last season is a lot more experienced and with big players than what we have, same for Brighton. It was not cowardly to do so as one City fan said, it's the only sensible option.

To compare us to Stoke as one or more City fan did on our style of play I thought was a tad harsh to say the least! Yes we have a long throw, why not use it because it causes teams problems. You can say it's primitive but if you have a player who can do it and you've very little times when you're going to get into the oppositions box then I'd say the long throw is an ideal opportunity to gain 20 or so more yards up the pitch and an opportunity for a flick on or lay off for a shot.

Some City fans rightly acknowledge that we're not even as strong as last season yet because we've lost Ndiaye and Berge and as you know Doyle and McAtee, but we're getting stronger now with new recruits. Therefore even more so we have to play defensively, we've had so many injuries this season already, we've got two 20 year olds up top, one we signed from Sweden, the other is a youth product who isn't ready yet for PL football in Osula but he's learning. So when McBurnie came on as you saw, there's an added dimension and in future weeks and as the season goes on I think we'll cause some teams problems more than what we can do to City with the team we had out yesterday still 3/4 or more short of what it needs to be.

Why do our fans boo Grealish? For starters this goes way back to when he played for Villa and his theoretical throwing himself to the ground and as he did yesterday rolling around with arm up in the air and then minutes later he's back on running full pelt. Now don't get me wrong, most players now exaggerate fouls, but Grealish is always going to be the type of player who gets stick for this because: A he's very good at winning fouls, and B he's a dangerous player; you can't just let him drift past you at will. So yes, as a team we are physical, we will make fouls at times which stop City, you have to be to compete with City, we've just got promoted and have a tiny budget, if we played less physically and out from the back all the time, we'd have been screwed by City's players and City's press would kill us trying to play out from the back like what Burnley are trying to do. Personally re Grealish, I didn't boo him, I don't boo players as a rule, and I have always rated Grealish and think he's underused for England. I also think as a bloke he seems a good lad, however football fans as a whole focus on what they see on a pitch and as I say Grealish is someone who does make a meal of fouls, it's one of his biggest assets winning fouls in attacking positions and presumably the rolling on the floor is just part of the process, but expect fans to give some banter on it, boos etc!

The "where were you when you were s@@t" song: This is something I would imagine many fans sing against City because that's football, it's banter, whether it's strictly true is almost irrelevant because fans will sing all against the teams they play on the day, City is no different to any other cub we'll face. Again, I didn't actually sing this because I recognise that City fans were there in the darker times, but I would add, Man City is a huge, huge football club with a huge area to pull fans from in the north-west. It doesn't surprise me City got 36,000 in League One because City fans are loyal and as I say you've got a huge fan base, but in fairness Leeds dropped to around 20,000 when they were there at times which shows a more fickle fan base.

We're not like Leeds as a club as one fan said, just because we sung "where were you when you were s@@t" and Yorkshire, Yorkshire. Leeds is a very different club to us, they see themselves as the flag bearers for Yorkshire, the "Pride of Yorkshire/one team in Yorkshire". We are a very down to earth fan base, we've got here on merit and there's no divine right to be in the PL which Wednesday and Leeds fans have generally thought "that's where they belong", no team belongs there unless you deserve to get there. I appreciate City will enjoy matches possibly more v the better teams in the top 7/8 who can compete better than we can and give you a more exciting end to end game, games against the lower sides are often a comfortable affair like v Burnley, but I would have thought the fact we kept the game tight was actually more satisfying a win than v a team where it's more comfortable.

Finally, we are grateful to City for Doyle and McAtee, United and City appear to have a very good relationship and for Pep to trust United with City players is something that is a huge benefit to us as a club and even if McAtee and Doyle don't make it at City, the two players really enjoyed their time with us last season and we increased their value whilst with us.

As for City, it's still the City of old that I preferred with Rosler, Quinn, and the Kippax, the City that I respected in particular. I'm not saying that City fans are now glory hunters, it's always been a massive club, I just think the City of old was more heroic, but at the same time in todays era you can't win without huge money. Whether this is good for the game is arguable, high ticket prices, money spent on transfers and wages is out of control and we need great control of this in my view. I digress now and this is a very long post. Take care, Blades fan.
Great post and some good points. I developed a bit of a soft spot for the Blades whilst watching Doyle and McAtee last season so I hope you can do well. There are some poor teams in the league this season so a few decent results could see you stay up. Far rather you than the neanderthals from Burnley and Yorkshire needs a team in the top flight that is not Leeds.

Thanks for posting and good luck for the rest of the season.

Welcome

The parking the bus pisses City fans of because 99% of our games this happens. We pay good money to watch a football match not a training game of defence v attack.
City get classed as boring to watch yet City are the only team trying to play football and win.
My round trip is 600 miles and I have started to watch more CL games as these tend to be more open.

I can completely understand the park the bus from your point of view, and your rugby tackles ;)
I guess you wont play as defensively as against us in every game. Would you pay every week if your team played that defensively every game ? We do ! But it's not our team that parks the bus.

Parking the bus ruins the game, ruins the atmosphere, ruins the excitement, ruins my day, ruins the tv spectacle. I feel that park the bus teams are ripping fans off. I pay around 150 quid to attend so bloody play football !

Think that might explain why park the bus teams piss us of. We see it nearly every game and its boring :)

PS I'm no glory hunter 62+
Perhaps if the gulf in resources between those at the top and bottom of the Premier League wasn't so huge - and getting bigger - there would be fewer games where teams parked the bus. Whilst ever this is the case you will see this happen.
The reason we parked the bus for so long is because it took an hour for City to score. I was almost relieved when Haaland scored, it was becoming inevitable and it forced us to try and get into the game. If we had played differently we would have probably lost by four or five.
I do respect Manchester City , they are the best team in Premier League history, but it is important that football remains a competitive game.

Last edited:
Ok, Blades fan here, didn't want to write loads on initial message as it said on the bottom of the page I didn't have enough credit to message! So hope I hope this lands and I hope you don't mind an opposing fan on here, but I just thought it may be of interest as a Blades fan and also to just give an alternative views on yesterday. I've read through the Views From City on our forum, I notice it's got a mention on here with the comment "what a bunch of vaginas! on here! Lol.

Fans will always see their own club's perspective and generally defend their club to the hilt solely because it's their club. I am a very passionate Blades fan but like to think I am fairly balanced in my view also.

So from reading the City fans views on yesterday's match which I thought was a really great match to watch, and there's a few things City fans said which I wanted to respond to, hope this is not seen as a dig back, it's not intended.

Firstly the "parking the bus". I was surprised at how most City fans on here were critical of us parking the bus which I will admit we did, and I think we did it reasonably well for the most part. Yes City could have ran out 4/5 nil winners but we limited City to less chances than we would have done had we "had a go". There's no way on God's earth that we could have "had a go" , we'd have ended up losing by a ridiculous margin! When you're playing a team of City's quality you can only sporadically attack and have to be so careful to not lose possession when doing so because one intercepted pass when we're attacking and City are straight back at you and they'll just pick us off. The only chance is to limit the space both in behind and just in shear numbers. I saw one City fan saying that if you attack then you can get something out of the game like what Leicester and Brighton did. Leicester may have got relegated but the team they had last season is a lot more experienced and with big players than what we have, same for Brighton. It was not cowardly to do so as one City fan said, it's the only sensible option.

To compare us to Stoke as one or more City fan did on our style of play I thought was a tad harsh to say the least! Yes we have a long throw, why not use it because it causes teams problems. You can say it's primitive but if you have a player who can do it and you've very little times when you're going to get into the oppositions box then I'd say the long throw is an ideal opportunity to gain 20 or so more yards up the pitch and an opportunity for a flick on or lay off for a shot.

Some City fans rightly acknowledge that we're not even as strong as last season yet because we've lost Ndiaye and Berge and as you know Doyle and McAtee, but we're getting stronger now with new recruits. Therefore even more so we have to play defensively, we've had so many injuries this season already, we've got two 20 year olds up top, one we signed from Sweden, the other is a youth product who isn't ready yet for PL football in Osula but he's learning. So when McBurnie came on as you saw, there's an added dimension and in future weeks and as the season goes on I think we'll cause some teams problems more than what we can do to City with the team we had out yesterday still 3/4 or more short of what it needs to be.

Why do our fans boo Grealish? For starters this goes way back to when he played for Villa and his theoretical throwing himself to the ground and as he did yesterday rolling around with arm up in the air and then minutes later he's back on running full pelt. Now don't get me wrong, most players now exaggerate fouls, but Grealish is always going to be the type of player who gets stick for this because: A he's very good at winning fouls, and B he's a dangerous player; you can't just let him drift past you at will. So yes, as a team we are physical, we will make fouls at times which stop City, you have to be to compete with City, we've just got promoted and have a tiny budget, if we played less physically and out from the back all the time, we'd have been screwed by City's players and City's press would kill us trying to play out from the back like what Burnley are trying to do. Personally re Grealish, I didn't boo him, I don't boo players as a rule, and I have always rated Grealish and think he's underused for England. I also think as a bloke he seems a good lad, however football fans as a whole focus on what they see on a pitch and as I say Grealish is someone who does make a meal of fouls, it's one of his biggest assets winning fouls in attacking positions and presumably the rolling on the floor is just part of the process, but expect fans to give some banter on it, boos etc!

The "where were you when you were s@@t" song: This is something I would imagine many fans sing against City because that's football, it's banter, whether it's strictly true is almost irrelevant because fans will sing all against the teams they play on the day, City is no different to any other cub we'll face. Again, I didn't actually sing this because I recognise that City fans were there in the darker times, but I would add, Man City is a huge, huge football club with a huge area to pull fans from in the north-west. It doesn't surprise me City got 36,000 in League One because City fans are loyal and as I say you've got a huge fan base, but in fairness Leeds dropped to around 20,000 when they were there at times which shows a more fickle fan base.

We're not like Leeds as a club as one fan said, just because we sung "where were you when you were s@@t" and Yorkshire, Yorkshire. Leeds is a very different club to us, they see themselves as the flag bearers for Yorkshire, the "Pride of Yorkshire/one team in Yorkshire". We are a very down to earth fan base, we've got here on merit and there's no divine right to be in the PL which Wednesday and Leeds fans have generally thought "that's where they belong", no team belongs there unless you deserve to get there. I appreciate City will enjoy matches possibly more v the better teams in the top 7/8 who can compete better than we can and give you a more exciting end to end game, games against the lower sides are often a comfortable affair like v Burnley, but I would have thought the fact we kept the game tight was actually more satisfying a win than v a team where it's more comfortable.

Finally, we are grateful to City for Doyle and McAtee, United and City appear to have a very good relationship and for Pep to trust United with City players is something that is a huge benefit to us as a club and even if McAtee and Doyle don't make it at City, the two players really enjoyed their time with us last season and we increased their value whilst with us.

As for City, it's still the City of old that I preferred with Rosler, Quinn, and the Kippax, the City that I respected in particular. I'm not saying that City fans are now glory hunters, it's always been a massive club, I just think the City of old was more heroic, but at the same time in todays era you can't win without huge money. Whether this is good for the game is arguable, high ticket prices, money spent on transfers and wages is out of control and we need great control of this in my view. I digress now and this is a very long post. Take care, Blades fan.
Parking the bus will get you relegated . It’s a damage limitation tactic that just doesn’t work and never has and bores the shit out of match attending fans who spend a fortune supporting their team . It is classic Pulis and BFS absolutely horrific, your manager needs to come up with a modern way of thinking or Blades will be doomed . Bournemouth have always played football and so have Brentford that is the way to go about staying up not that prehistoric rubbish yesterday, hope this helps and take the positives so early in the season !

People will whinge about opponents parking the bus and at the same time understand why the opponents do it. To some degree teams are forced back by how City play and retain the ball. However, whilst it is a legitimate tactic and the best hope most teams of getting something out of a game vs City, or at least avoiding a hiding, it's not entertaining and City supporters are denied a lot of entertainment because of our opponents' approach, so we will inevitably complain about it.

I've heard plenty of complaints that City are boring but they aren't, it's the opposition that are...

You may have preferred the old City but you've never been to Nevizade Street...

Welcome

The parking the bus pisses City fans of because 99% of our games this happens. We pay good money to watch a football match not a training game of defence v attack.
City get classed as boring to watch yet City are the only team trying to play football and win.
My round trip is 600 miles and I have started to watch more CL games as these tend to be more open.

I can completely understand the park the bus from your point of view, and your rugby tackles ;)
I guess you wont play as defensively as against us in every game. Would you pay every week if your team played that defensively every game ? We do ! But it's not our team that parks the bus.

Parking the bus ruins the game, ruins the atmosphere, ruins the excitement, ruins my day, ruins the tv spectacle. I feel that park the bus teams are ripping fans off. I pay around 150 quid to attend so bloody play football !

Think that might explain why park the bus teams piss us of. We see it nearly every game and its boring :)

PS I'm no glory hunter 62+
It's not to the same extent but we had most teams do that last season in the Championship at home and away but particularly at home, teams like Preston, Stoke, Millwall, Luton, Rotherham, I could go on! But you've got to find a way past it, I get it's frustrating and doesn't make for an end to end game but as I say there's no way we could compete with City and for that matter, the entire league if we were more attacking. Ok, we might, might score more goals, but I guarantee you it would mean we'd concede more too. I noticed the media love in to Burnley last season playing their attacking brand of football and Kompany got loads of praise as a result which I get. But if they try and play anywhere near the same way this season they'll be on less points than us for sure!

Atmosphere wise, well I don't know about other matches v City but had we gone 2/3 down then the atmosphere from our perspective would have been a lot crapper, the fact we were in it due to parking the bus gave our fans something to be hopeful for and although we'd have still sung and chanted and 2/3 down it wouldn't have had the noise levels it did yesterday from the Kop if we'd have been losing by more. We've been written off by everyone this season and I do think we're gonna surprise a few this season, we'll see, but as long as we compete than that'll do me.

Not bad until you started with “massive” and “money” at the end and you respected us when we were shit.

Hence people saying BINGO.

Oh well …. All to be expected I suppose

Parking the bus will get you relegated . It’s a damage limitation tactic that just doesn’t work and never has and bores the shit out of match attending fans who spend a fortune supporting their team . It is classic Pulis and BFS absolutely horrific, your manager needs to come up with a modern way of thinking or Blades will be doomed . Bournemouth have always played football and so have Brentford that is the way to go about staying up not that prehistoric rubbish yesterday, hope this helps and take the positives so early in the season !
Bournemouth have spent £120 million this summer and a huge amount the previous season. The last couple of times I saw them play (in the Premier League then the Championship) they were one of the more cynical sides I've seen.

I get your drift, I do. But Pulis kept Stoke up for like ten years, so I'm not so sure it didn't work! The pundits love good football, an that's great if you can buy players to play attacking football, but players that can take people on cost money, and playing more attacking football means you need to have players who can make that work when that team attacks, I dare say if we did it, as I said before, I reckon we'd lose it/City would take the ball of us and within seconds the ball would be back the other end and in our net.

Brentford are a unique club, although Brighton similar - lol! They have an incredible transfer policy, they pick up amazingly gifted players on the cheap and then mould them into top level Premier League players time and time again. They've spent a lot of money, I mean a lot of money for the likes of Sheff United, to make that transfer system work. You talk about Brighton too; they're a success story now but they stayed up under Chris Hughton winning 1 - 0 most matches in their earlier days. I'm fairly sure that would have been defensive football. I don't see it as prehistoric, I get it attracts criticism but as I say, have you seen our squad even in comparison to Forest and Brentford? Forest spent £200m I think it was and only just stayed up and they signed Morgan Gibbs-White for £45m who is a very good player. When you've got talent like that you can attack more, as I said previously, we've got a lot of injuries still and are playing players who aren't ready. I don't think with a fully fit squad we'd have beaten City at all either, but against the sides of more equal merit to us then we should be able to attack more.

I don't find City boring, not that you've said it but others have said that people have accused City of that. It probably will be the way other teams set out v City but there's an art form to breaking that down too and I'd just revel in that but at the same time I do think it's very easy to criticise our style when you've got the quality that Brentford have, Bournemouth less so but they've not got a team as good as Brentford and I'm not sure what the result was but I'm guessing they lost, if they didn't then City probably missed a load!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.