Sheffield United (A) | PL | Post-Match Thread

Perhaps if the gulf in resources between those at the top and bottom of the Premier League wasn't so huge - and getting bigger - there would be fewer games where teams parked the bus. Whilst ever this is the case you will see this happen.
The reason we parked the bus for so long is because it took an hour for City to score. I was almost relieved when Haaland scored, it was becoming inevitable and it forced us to try and get into the game. If we had played differently we would have probably lost by four or five.
I do respect Manchester City , they are the best team in Premier League history, but it is important that football remains a competitive game.

Would you have got a hiding ? When you started to play more you scored !

Another thing with parking the bus you wont play that way against our rivals, you will be more open.

Not bad until you started with “massive” and “money” at the end and you respected us when we were shit.

Hence people saying BINGO.

Oh well …. All to be expected I suppose
How is saying City has always been a massive club something to be critical of! I know my football more than most, I know City were huge in the 70's, they won various trophies, they were and have always been a big club. I started following football in the late 80's when I recall City were not as strong as the days with Bell, Summerbee, Lee etc, but they were not shit either, not in my book! City under Kendall were decent, they had some decent times under Peter Reid, under Royle and Keegan were great sides to watch, they had some really good players, particularly under Keegan they spent well. I recall the quality of those sides; they were definitely not shit, it's just a chant that football fans say because it's easy to say.

Ok, it might be "bingo" when I say I preferred City then, I'm not anti Man City at all and that includes now. I'm not getting into the ongoing stuff of accusations v City from UEFA but I just want to see a model that is sustainable for all, call me a dreamer as Brian Clough said, one not run by people with insane money. A league where we can have 51% ownership like in Germany. That's what I want and it will never happen. So any post on money is not particularly aimed at City. I've always respected City and even though I prefer City of old, I didn't see it as shit as I say, but City of old or like anyone without serious backing (just look at Leeds now who despite been a huge club find themselves back in the Championship ) just can't compete at the very top- not to win trophies anyway, it's sad but but it's the model we have allowed to flourish in this country.

Last edited:

Another thing with parking the bus you wont play that way against our rivals, you will be more open.
I can guarantee we will play like that v Arsenal, Liverpool, Man U, Newcastle and maybe Chelsea. Ok, you can say we will lose, I'm not so sure because at home we're very tough to beat. Against anyone in this league we'll be keeping it tight out of possession, maybe not quite as deep, but not far off.

I can guarantee we will play like that v Arsenal, Liverpool, Man U, Newcastle and maybe Chelsea. Ok, you can say we will lose, I'm not so sure because at home we're very tough to beat. Against anyone in this league we'll be keeping it tight out of possession, maybe not quite as deep, but not far off.

Are you looking forward to these type of games this season ?

Mcburnie coming on helped. I would be surprised if we parked as big a bus in future games! In our first season back in the Premier 2019/20, we beat Arsenal, Chelsea and Tottenham playing some decent football and in the 3-3 draw with Man Utd we were excellent at times. We've sold two of our better players in pre season and we need some time to get our new signings up and running.

How is saying City has always been a massive club something to be critical of! I know my football more than most, I know City were huge in the 70's, they won various trophies, they were and have always been a big club. I started following football in the late 80's when I recall City were not as strong as the days with Bell, Summerbee, Lee etc, but they were not shit either, not in my book! City under Kendall were decent, they had some decent times under Peter Reid, under Royle and Keegan were great sides to watch, they had some really good players, particularly under Keegan they spent well. I recall the quality of those sides; they were definitely not shit, it's just a chant that football fans say because it's easy to say.

Ok, it might be "bingo" when I say I preferred City then, I'm not anti Man City at all and that includes now. I'm not getting into the ongoing stuff of accusations v City from UEFA but I just want to see a model that is sustainable for all, call me a dreamer as Brian Clough said, one not run by people with insane money. A league where we can have 51% ownership like in Germany. That's what I want and it will never happen. So any post on money is not particularly aimed at City. I've always respected City and even though I prefer City of old, I didn't see it as shit as I say, but City of old or like anyone without serious backing (just look at Leeds now who despite been a huge club find themselves back in the Championship ) just can't compete at the top, it's sad but but it's the model we have allowed to flourish in this country.
There is no ongoing stuff v City from UEFA!

I hate it when/if our players take a dive. Players kick lumps out of Jack and I don't blame him for taking an easy one when he feels contact, every now and then but I saw some sort of contact on every challenge, yesterday, and you lot didn't.
As Pep would say, it is what it is, and you weren't in Atletico's class at doing it yesterday. He seems a really nice, if immature guy and I'm sure secretly he loves it. So carry on and hopefully we will see second half Jack from now on.

Manchester City fans are obviously too classy to ever do such a thing..
Don't be such a dick!

What you're referencing isn't the same thing at all, is it?
It's more akin to your lot singing "You're just a shit Billie Sharp" to Haaland. You know? A bit of fun?

NOT booing his every touch of the ball like a bunch of spoilt, smacked-arse scousers.

I get your drift, I do. But Pulis kept Stoke up for like ten years, so I'm not so sure it didn't work! The pundits love good football, an that's great if you can buy players to play attacking football, but players that can take people on cost money, and playing more attacking football means you need to have players who can make that work when that team attacks, I dare say if we did it, as I said before, I reckon we'd lose it/City would take the ball of us and within seconds the ball would be back the other end and in our net.

Brentford are a unique club, although Brighton similar - lol! They have an incredible transfer policy, they pick up amazingly gifted players on the cheap and then mould them into top level Premier League players time and time again. They've spent a lot of money, I mean a lot of money for the likes of Sheff United, to make that transfer system work. You talk about Brighton too; they're a success story now but they stayed up under Chris Hughton winning 1 - 0 most matches in their earlier days. I'm fairly sure that would have been defensive football. I don't see it as prehistoric, I get it attracts criticism but as I say, have you seen our squad even in comparison to Forest and Brentford? Forest spent £200m I think it was and only just stayed up and they signed Morgan Gibbs-White for £45m who is a very good player. When you've got talent like that you can attack more, as I said previously, we've got a lot of injuries still and are playing players who aren't ready. I don't think with a fully fit squad we'd have beaten City at all either, but against the sides of more equal merit to us then we should be able to attack more.

I don't find City boring, not that you've said it but others have said that people have accused City of that. It probably will be the way other teams set out v City but there's an art form to breaking that down too and I'd just revel in that but at the same time I do think it's very easy to criticise our style when you've got the quality that Brentford have, Bournemouth less so but they've not got a team as good as Brentford and I'm not sure what the result was but I'm guessing they lost, if they didn't then City probably missed a load!
Brentford and Bournemouth have a totally different mentality that’s why they don’t go down the prehistoric boring park the bus tactic that bores football fans to death . Both Brentford and Bournemouth have tiny grounds but a great atmosphere and vibe and a totally different mentality to you lot . Swallowing your managers PR bollocks that blades were 99.5% perfect is just him justifying the prehistoric park the bus tactics because he knows no other way and for that reason alone any blade fan should be concerned. Brentford beat us twice last season and we struggled against them twice the season before , they set up on the counter and never drop deep and fight to win every second ball and also have very good set piece tactics from which Toney thrives . Brentford have also started this season very well without Toney because their manager is tactically very good and gets the best from his players . Bournemouth just have a go they know they will get a thumping now and again but just take it on the chin and move on to the next game . Bournemouth never play with a deep packed defence they have found their own style and just get on with it and it serves them well . RE Forrest they have an owner who just thinks throwing money at it works ! spending £200 million on shite gets you nowhere , that joke of a football club a couple of miles from us have spent billions to tread water !
Adapt or get relegated…….. good luck !

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.