Sheikh Mansour Stand

How would it feel if it were other clubs? The Roman Abramovich Stand? The Glazer Stand?

Don't like it. And i think the club knows better than that where its brand is strongest: the football, not the owner.

I actually think it's too early for David Silva. Whilst I think any new north stand should be the new Kippax, if we do name one after a player I'd nominate Bert Trautmann.

I think we missed the boat a bit on Bert Trautmann in not doing it whilst he was alive (and I’d have had him present the 2011 FA Cup as well), otherwise he’d have been my choice too. And there’s no time frame attached to this, although personally I’d favour doing it for Dave shortly after he retires....and the way he’s frolicking around at the moment I’ve a feeling he might extend his contract again and be here til he’s 35, so that might be some time away

Last edited:
I think we missed the boat a bit on Bert Trautmann in not doing it whilst he was alive (and I’d have had him present the 2011 FA Cup as well), otherwise he’d have been my choice too. And there’s no time frame attached to this, although personally I’d favour doing it for Dave shortly after he retires....and the way he’s frolicking around at the moment I’ve a feeling he might extend his contract again and be here til he’s 35, so that might be some time away

I think it's too soon for Dave too.

I'm actually not a big fan of naming stands after players anyway as it is a team game. That said, Bert would have been / be one of the more worthy recipients of the honour.

My point about the Kippax was obviously that it has a deep traditional connection to the club over an extended time period and there are thousands of us who had (seated) season tickets in the Kippax that were moved to the East Stand. Most of the people in my immediate vicinity were in the same relative location in the Kippax. The Kippax was one of the few famous stands that ran along the side of the pitch as opposed to being behind the goal. Most of my days at Maine Road were actually spent in the North Stand so that's the last stand I'd change the name of.

The "Bell" end?

You do know that's how we ended up with a Colin Bell Stand rather then a Joe Mercer Stand because they didn't restrict access to voting for the stand name and simpletons from other clubs voted because they didn't understand that the stand being named wasn't at the end of the ground?

Maybe we should name each block instead so we can accomodate everyone.

So SSlv 1 block

115 is named corrigan
116 hartford
117 doyle

Etc

Personally as my block 120 officially doesn't exist can be named the invisible man block, failing thst the PJ Swales memorial area

That's not a bad idea; although logistically I'd imagine that you need to also retain the use of numbers for each block.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.