Should All Democratic Societies Have a Minister for Men's Behaviour...

Andrew Tate doesn't represent society as a whole; he is an abhorrent figure riding the wave of toxic masculinity, using his platform to promote an aggressive, materialistic, and domineering version of what it means to be a man to a minority of vulnerable young men. It's important to note that this is not just a modern phenomenon, degenerates like Tate use social media to amplify it.

When you mention feeling like you've let your kids down because others are taking their families to places like Disney World, these feelings are a reflection of external pressures, not personal failure. Success and being a good parent aren't defined by expensive trips or luxury items.

Expressing masculinity in ways that are loud or assertive isn't inherently negative, but it's essential to balance that with self-awareness and respect for others, especially so if the feedback you receive is that you come across as aggressive. It's about understanding that masculinity can be expressed in diverse ways, and that empathy, emotional intelligence, and responsibility are equally valid and important aspects of being a man.

In terms of where men have failed, we must address the outdated stereotypes that have historically defined masculinity and contributed to the objectification and marginalisation of women. For centuries, cultural and religious influences shaped the worldview where men’s worth was tied to rigid roles whilst women were seen as objects, whether as property, symbols of status, or mere caretakers within the home. On a good day they were seen as a prize to be won.

Men frequently denied women basic rights and autonomy, treated them as possessions rather than individuals with their own voices and choices. Reinforced by patriarchal structures that placed men in positions of power and control, not only in the household but also in wider society. Women were relegated to passive roles, their identities and worth defined by their relationships to men, whether as daughters, wives, or mothers.

The consequences have been profound. Women have been systematically denied opportunities for education, leadership, and independence, leading to widespread inequality that persists today. Children, too, have suffered under these dynamics, growing up in environments where relationships were based on authority and control rather than mutual respect and collaboration.

These failures are already being addressed, I can see a vast difference between the 'lad culture' I grew up in during the 90s and the present day. There is still work to be done, progress has been made in expanding our understanding of masculinity and promoting equality, but the influence of religion in many societies continues to reinforce traditional gender roles. Even in more secular communities, the structures and ideals that have long objectified women and denied them opportunities are still present.
Andrew Tate is a product of or a reaction to society. I have no respect for him btw. His vision of what a man is applies toxic pressure on men and is dangerous to women. I'm probably explaining myself poorly but he's not the only person extolling an alpha male paradigm which tells men they are failures if they aren't rich and strong.

Re Disney world. Yes I thought it was clear I was talking about external pressures. External pressures shape internal feelings. No man is an island.

Your comments on me being loud and assertive proves my point when you add the caveat. It's an expression of masculinity that is now being "feminised". Specifically talking about these moments my actions are not aggressive yet are perceived as such and I'm told to calm it down. That this "masculine" express is perceived negatively is my point and is evidence of another "toxic masculine" trait that must be blunted. My wife also hates being told to calm down when she perceives herself to be calm. Same situation where her expression is deemed appropriate but mine isn't.

Re the point about men's failings and gender roles etc. I pretty much agree with the video posted earlier.

Re women treated as property etc I wonder how much that actually worked out in relationships. I think of my grandparents who pretty much lived out their lives in those gender roles. I'm pretty sure my grandad never once considered my grandma her property. His responsibility for sure but in the same way my grandma considered him her responsibility as well. When my sister got married a few years ago she objected to my dad "giving her away" because she was no mans property. I'm pretty sure my dad has never ever once considered that he owned my sister but he was denied the opportunity to express a handing over of responsibility and care. Can my sister take care of herself? Absolutely but isn't family about having people around to take care of you?

Call me old fashioned but I do believe there is a difference between the genders which should be celebrated. It shouldn't be used to deny rights or opportunities or subjugate. My wife earns considerably more than me and in terms of labour around the house we are pretty equal so we're a modern family in that respect. However when the toilet is blocked, the bin needs emptying or we think there's an intruder in the house those things are definitely for me to sort out. Conversely only she could become pregnant.

Your comments about the patriarchy are common but lacking in balance. Obviously women not having access to the same education and voting etc is a bad thing BUT women have experienced some benefits. They drive on the same roads that men broke their backs to make. They could wear tin broaches mined at the cost of many men's lives. They lived in houses built by men. They prepared the food they are provided with by a man's labour. Should women be allowed to work in mines? Absolutely. Should women work in mines? Much more complicated

The Ministry for Men’s Behaviour has just announced their policy programme.
1. Erections shall be limited to two per week.
2. Turning round to look at the arse of a woman who has just passed you in the street will be an offence.
3. Any man heavier than 11 stone or older than 35, will be banned from playing 5 a side.
4. It will be an offence to meet your mates in the local and talk about football.
5. Any man with a beer gut will be imprisoned until it has disappeared.
6. It will be an offence for a man to hoover, wash up, cook, or do any DIY. The only exception will be putting sausages on the barbecue.
7. Real men will not wear make up or use skin lotions. Trimming your pubes is out.

Re women treated as property etc I wonder how much that actually worked out in relationships. I think of my grandparents who pretty much lived out their lives in those gender roles. I'm pretty sure my grandad never once considered my grandma her property. His responsibility for sure but in the same way my grandma considered him her responsibility as well. When my sister got married a few years ago she objected to my dad "giving her away" because she was no mans property. I'm pretty sure my dad has never ever once considered that he owned my sister but he was denied the opportunity to express a handing over of responsibility and care. Can my sister take care of herself? Absolutely but isn't family about having people around to take care of you?
I think 'property' is a bit of a misnomer. I think it's more that women were infantilised in the past. If you think about it, everything you say here about women in the past could also apply to children. And that's kind of the point. Women weren't seen as property so much as not as developed as men, therefore not capable of doing grown up things like owning property, being in charge of money, and voting. And let's be honest, even if you disagreed with this on an individual level, society forced it on you because they literally weren't allowed to do the full spectrum of adult things.

I am aware the following response may be a bit jumpy, here and there, but I wrote this after 24hrs at work. I have cut short the initial long reply.

Andrew Tate doesn't represent society as a whole; he is an abhorrent figure riding the wave of toxic masculinity, using his platform to promote an aggressive, materialistic, and domineering version of what it means to be a man to a minority of vulnerable young men. It's important to note that this is not just a modern phenomenon, degenerates like Tate use social media to amplify it.

When you mention feeling like you've let your kids down because others are taking their families to places like Disney World, these feelings are a reflection of external pressures, not personal failure. Success and being a good parent aren't defined by expensive trips or luxury items.

Expressing masculinity in ways that are loud or assertive isn't inherently negative, but it's essential to balance that with self-awareness and respect for others, especially so if the feedback you receive is that you come across as aggressive. It's about understanding that masculinity can be expressed in diverse ways, and that empathy, emotional intelligence, and responsibility are equally valid and important aspects of being a man.

In terms of where men have failed, we must address the outdated stereotypes that have historically defined masculinity and contributed to the objectification and marginalisation of women. For centuries, cultural and religious influences shaped the worldview where men’s worth was tied to rigid roles whilst women were seen as objects, whether as property, symbols of status, or mere caretakers within the home. On a good day they were seen as a prize to be won.

Men frequently denied women basic rights and autonomy, treated them as possessions rather than individuals with their own voices and choices. Reinforced by patriarchal structures that placed men in positions of power and control, not only in the household but also in wider society. Women were relegated to passive roles, their identities and worth defined by their relationships to men, whether as daughters, wives, or mothers.

The consequences have been profound. Women have been systematically denied opportunities for education, leadership, and independence, leading to widespread inequality that persists today. Children, too, have suffered under these dynamics, growing up in environments where relationships were based on authority and control rather than mutual respect and collaboration.

These failures are already being addressed, I can see a vast difference between the 'lad culture' I grew up in during the 90s and the present day. There is still work to be done, progress has been made in expanding our understanding of masculinity and promoting equality, but the influence of religion in many societies continues to reinforce traditional gender roles. Even in more secular communities, the structures and ideals that have long objectified women and denied them opportunities are still present.

It's funny, but your post ebbs and flows with things I agree and disagree with. The 'Tates' of this world aren't borne from nowhere. In fact the 'red pill' community of today's representation has hijacked and skewed much of what was being said 10 years ago. Except that's the thing, isn't it; how real opinions are ceased upon and morphed into caricatures over time? This enables people with agendas to use the distorted version [from people that use those real problematic issues for outlandish fame/ notoriety] and punish the people who have genuine suffering/ problems to address.

And "...the outdated stereotypes that have historically defined masculinity..." means what, exactly? Are men not 'hunter-gatherers' by nature? Are you suggesting to bend the natural impulse of men to provide and protect?

'Most' men have this natural raw guttural instinct to of himself for his 'territory' however you might perceive that word. But, in context, it is for love and family, which extends beyond that in times of crisis. By stripping this natural way of being for men, you shape society in a negative way; men go into depression, become lonely, are repressed, can't follow the natural instinct to protect and more besides.

And I, highly, dispute your assertion that women were seen as "passive" or "being denied education". I think you're, purposely, conflating a world of women rather than secluded sections of the world. The broadbase Western culture is highly different than other cultures of the globe. Your jibe is proposing Western culture is 'better'.

In whose eyes...? Do you speak for the women that much prefer men to lead and be the revered matriarch that binds the family? Are you placing your value on them...?

As for the "vast difference" you see today? Sure, the 'laddish' culture is pretty much gone. But, with that has gone the ability to approach females and leading young men to be less assured in being 'masculine' enough to cold approach a female they like, and those men, more often than not, to not explore outside of their comfort/ safety zones.

Let me ask you a question; should domestic violence be treated exactly the same between relationships regardless of whom is the aggressor or as a tier system...??

I asked you this very simple question that you chose to ignore. I asked you because I could see the post you made coming.

Much like in what happened in the thread about the skirmish at the airport where a female officer got her nose broken, the question is do you (as someone that wants to do away with the differences between men and women) support women being in the front line for all aspects of physical roles that men do?

You cannot have it both ways when claiming women are not equal under the law.

So, in my opinion, your assertion that there is "...widespread inequality that persists today" is a misstatement. In which way are Western women not equal?? Name a right they are denied in this day and age. And nobody can record the personal lives of any couple on a day-to-day basis and administer findings as a whole to society.

Historically, women (and boys) were seen as imperfect men. (This is a theory going back to Ancient Greece, Aristotle or some such chap.)

Hence they were 'protected' for their 'own good' and their advice was regarded as potentially dangerous as they were 'irresponsible'.

How this theory was squared with reality I don't know. Even in the Middle Ages, there were plenty of women managing huge estates or businesses, either in their husband's absence* or as widows.

(*If hubby was away fighting in France she could not text or phone him for instructions. She had to use her initiative.)

Nevertheless, up until the 19th Century Married Women's Property Acts, the default position (unless special arrangements were set up before marriage) was that a woman had no rights over any income she earned or any property she possessed. Her husband had absolute control, and that extended even to legal action. She could not sue in her own right. She was under what was called 'coverture'.

When you consider how many thousands of years humanity has existed, then we must concede that equal rights for women is a very modern concept indeed. No wonder some people struggle with it.

I saw this and wanted know what people thought of it. It's,essentially, nothing to do with Tate.

It's not a channel I frequent, Talk TV, but the conversation seemed apt for this thread. I had to listen to it a few times to 'hear' clearly what's being said in the baseline.

It's about 10 mins.

Thoughts...?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.