Should Class A drugs be legalised in UK

I used to be a heavy smoker and drinker. I stopped smoking nearly forty years ago because of the harm I was causing my family, both health wise and also by depriving the Mrs of money so I could fund it.

I drink very rarely these days, but it wouldn't bother me one iota if alcohol never passed my lips again
Fair play.

Absolutely not with Class A drugs.

Stuff like weed, yeah whatever. I'd love for it to be legalised. Even some Class B stuff too, whatever.

But Class A drugs can so easily be misused. So, so easily. You just can't trust the general public to be safe with this stuff. Especially here in the UK. People can't even be trusted to drink responsibly. Introducing heavy-duty stimulants, opiates, psychedelics, cocaine etc to the general public is not going to go well. People are going to abuse that shit. People are going to go out in public on that shit. People are going to try and drive on that shit. People are going to combine their drug use into a death cocktail (especially with good old booze involved in the decision making process)

Yeah it's possible to be safe and responsible on these drugs. Easily in fact if you know what you're doing. But you can't trust people to do that on a large scale, and that's why I can't support the stronger stuff being made more readily available.

It's not too difficult to get hold of Class A stuff these days but it still requires some effort and knowhow to some extent, which restricts the potential for irresponsible use to a very small number compared to what it could be.

Crime wouldn't go down massively with drug control. Gangs would just move on to something else.
Couldn't agree more mate. Thought I was crazy reading some replies. Personally, I think it's bad enough we have one mind-altering substance (alcohol) be so readily available to so many irresponsible people. So much violence comes through alcohol use but combine that with drugs and you just get fucking idiots everywhere.

Not to mention how cripplingly addictive class A drugs can be compared to alcohol. Legalisation provides a strong psychological suggestion that taking drugs is perfectly fine which would encourage much more of the populace to experiment. Do we really need a whole new demographic of people addicted to a substance that completely takes over their lives?

I can't believe we're considering it at all. Much more worthwhile to strive to become a society that actually solves the issues leading people down a path where they feel the need to take mind-bending chemicals to help give their lives meaning or escape reality.

Couldn't agree more mate. Thought I was crazy reading some replies. Personally, I think it's bad enough we have one mind-altering substance (alcohol) be so readily available to so many irresponsible people. So much violence comes through alcohol use but combine that with drugs and you just get fucking idiots everywhere.

Not to mention how cripplingly addictive class A drugs can be compared to alcohol. Legalisation provides a strong psychological suggestion that taking drugs is perfectly fine which would encourage much more of the populace to experiment. Do we really need a whole new demographic of people addicted to a substance that completely takes over their lives?

I can't believe we're considering it at all. Much more worthwhile to strive to become a society that actually solves the issues leading people down a path where they feel the need to take mind-bending chemicals to help give their lives meaning or escape reality.
What can they do to solve the problem that hasn't been tried and failed so far?

Absolutely not with Class A drugs.

Stuff like weed, yeah whatever. I'd love for it to be legalised. Even some Class B stuff too, whatever.

But Class A drugs can so easily be misused. So, so easily. You just can't trust the general public to be safe with this stuff. Especially here in the UK. People can't even be trusted to drink responsibly. Introducing heavy-duty stimulants, opiates, psychedelics, cocaine etc to the general public is not going to go well. People are going to abuse that shit. People are going to go out in public on that shit. People are going to try and drive on that shit. People are going to combine their drug use into a death cocktail (especially with good old booze involved in the decision making process)

Yeah it's possible to be safe and responsible on these drugs. Easily in fact if you know what you're doing. But you can't trust people to do that on a large scale, and that's why I can't support the stronger stuff being made more readily available.

It's not too difficult to get hold of Class A stuff these days but it still requires some effort and knowhow to some extent, which restricts the potential for irresponsible use to a very small number compared to what it could be.

Crime wouldn't go down massively with drug control. Gangs would just move on to something else.

Bless.

I may be naive here but why would we legalise something that currently requires criminal activity to participate ( burglaries and violence), as well as all the fall out from the effects of drug taking eg, driving under the influence etc

Surely this would only serve to increase the number of addicts, which would compound the current criminal problem associated with drug taking.

Missing the point.

If the supply was regulated there would be no need for any criminal activity.

Missing the point.

If the supply was regulated there would be no need for any criminal activity.
The drugs would still need to be paid for I assume. What if the user doesn't have the money? An addict will have to get the money somehow and criminal activity is likely to follow, just as it does now, I would have thought.

What can they do to solve the problem that hasn't been tried and failed so far?
Clearly there's no easy solution to the many societal issues that contribute to drug abuse. But we have to try harder, and genuinely seek a better way. I agree that the way we deal with those addicted to class A substances needs a rethink.

But like I said, alcohol abuse here is bad enough. I just feel that our moral compass is totally skewed if we then introduce other harmful substances which are often extremely addictive and ruin lives and say "Go on, you can take it if you want, we trust you to be sensible." Not that alcohol isn't addictive and ruins lives, I might add.

The drugs would still need to be paid for I assume. What if the user doesn't have the money? An addict will have to get the money somehow and criminal activity is likely to follow, just as it does now, I would have thought.
No, they go to a clinic and are given their heroin for nothing! We also save a fortune doing it that way, reduce crime and offer help to the poor sods addicted to the shite.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.