Should juries be scrapped ?

Re: Should jury's be scrapped ?

When I was on a jury, I was lucky in that all ther others were intelligent and cared about the case.

But then I saw some of the other jurors in the selection room and wouldn't like seeing some of them on a jury if I was being tried.

There should be a simple test to make sure you know what you're doing first.

I've served twice, heard seven cases in all. There were some incidents that made me wonder if the system was entirely safe, such as the man who was insistent on being the foreman, and he delivered the wrong verdict.

In the same case, two people made their minds up at the start of the case, over a point of law that the judge had to explain to the jury at least twice. (What it means for a person to be classed as 'defective' in law). They totally misunderstood the meaning. They refused to debate the case. They spent two days with their chairs withdrawn, just talking to each other.

When it became clear that we would not reach a unanimous decision, the judge said he would accept a majority of 10-2. So we were debating to convince the remaining ten of this guy's guilt, or else to persuade eight of his innocence. One by one the jurors switched to innocent, purely because it was the only way we would get out of there anytime soon, and not really based on the facts of the case.

Despite this experience, I believe the system to be adequate, on the whole.

Eli Panic said:
I've served twice, heard seven cases in all. There were some incidents that made me wonder if the system was entirely safe, such as the man who was insistent on being the foreman, and he delivered the wrong verdict.

In the same case, two people made their minds up at the start of the case, over a point of law that the judge had to explain to the jury at least twice. (What it means for a person to be classed as 'defective' in law). They totally misunderstood the meaning. They refused to debate the case. They spent two days with their chairs withdrawn, just talking to each other.

When it became clear that we would not reach a unanimous decision, the judge said he would accept a majority of 10-2. So we were debating to convince the remaining ten of this guy's guilt, or else to persuade eight of his innocence. One by one the jurors switched to innocent, purely because it was the only way we would get out of there anytime soon, and not really based on the facts of the case.

judging by what you just told us, its shite

nimrod said:
Eli Panic said:

judging by what you just told us, its shite

That was just one case, where if anything, the defendant was favoured, but we still reached a majority verdict. All of the other cases were properly debated except one, when the judge ordered a mistrial on the basis of lack of evidence.

The incorrect guilty pronouncement was swiftly corrected by the way.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.