Should kids be taught religion in schools

amber2345 said:
I think an awareness of all religions should be taught, hopefully this will minimise prejudices against people from other religions. I do feel that a lot of prejudice is the result of ignorance and a lack of understanding for other peoples beliefs and circumstances. So yes going by this theory there is a place for religious studies. Once the kids have an awareness they should them have the option to continue if they wish to do so, in more depth.Parents should also think carefully when choosing schools. For those who feel strongly about their childs religious up bringing the then send them to a catholic/C of E/Islamic school by all means. But those who don't wish for their kids to study RE then don't put your kids in such schools. A friend of my parents recently complained about this but her kids go to a catholic school. She isn't religious and had to appeal for her kids to gain a place there as it is the top primary in the area. So yes it's the best school but if you put your child in a catholic school then they're going to be taught based upon catholic beliefs!!

Wrong way round for me. Let kids decide if they want to know about religion when they take their options (13/14)

amber2345 said:
Oops think I messed up trying to quote someone then!! :0)

You can go back to your post and edit it if you click on the edit button.

To pick you up on it. Religious schools are divisive and parents are free to educate their kids in their own religion if they wish to do so, or even make them go to church, chapel, mosque, synagogue etc, even if I would prefer that they don't brainwash their kids at an impressionable age. Cultural studies should include religions and atheism and not taught without a critical awareness, both should have their claims tested against reason and ethics.
The public purse and my taxes should not be used to subsidise indoctrination.

Here we go, I'm getting out of my depth now!! Lol. I'm 18, quite the idealist and very much an athiest. I just believe that a lot of prejudices towards different cultures and beliefs stem from ignorance and a lack of knowledge and understanding. Whether we agree or not with religion it is a part of our society. I don't see the harm in educating kids into what is out there and once they have that knowledge they can make an informed choice whether they wish to follow a religion. But also hopefully be more tolerant of those who choose to follow a
different path. Then yes if at the age they choose their GCSEs they want to study more in depth, they can. I don't however believe in brainwashing, but as I said giving enough info to have an awareness.

as previous posters have alluded to of course it should be taught in schools as there are fundamental values which underpin how society operates. I think the real question should be HOW it is taught as in my experience (going back a few years now granted) it was always just a brainwashing session with no room for objectivity or questioning!

Damocles said:
nimrod said:
should kids be taught religion in schools ? still happens here, but is it right to teach kids that this person called Jesus did supernatural things like walking on water ?

Absolutely. Religion is a massive part of our culture, and people who don't study it are the worse of for it.

Teaching kids the tenets of a single religion as true as described by the OP - no.

Teaching children to study religion to know why people act as irrationally as they do - yes.

if it is for the chid's benefit,i.e. being wary of those who are representing the church,then yes.As the opposite happens,then obviously no.America chose,by it's constitution to separate state from education,the efforts to get round this by the catholic church are quite illuminating as to how much they value access to children's minds. Learning 'about' religion is a world away from being indoctrinated into the religion.Learning about the cruelty of the church,the death toll of the wars fought on religious principles could be useful,but as the blame is always on the other side then it isn't.

nijinsky's fetlocks said:
amber2345 said:
I think an awareness of all religions should be taught, hopefully this will minimise prejudices against people from other religions. I do feel that a lot of prejudice is the result of ignorance and a lack of understanding for other peoples beliefs and circumstances. So yes going by this theory there is a place for religious studies. Once the kids have an awareness they should them have the option to continue if they wish to do so, in more depth.

Parents should also think carefully when choosing schools. For those who feel strongly about their childs religious up bringing the then send them to a catholic/C of E/Islamic school by all means. But those who don't wish for their kids to study RE then don't put your kids in such schools. A friend of my parents recently complained about this but her kids go to a catholic school. She isn't religious and had to appeal for her kids to gain a place there as it is the top primary in the area. So yes it's the best school but if you put your child in a catholic school then they're going to be taught based upon catholic beliefs!!

Faith schools should be abolished.
Full stop.
It's bad enough teaching kids divisive fairy stories to start with,but once a school starts to teach five year olds that followers of religions other than their own are infidels and will burn in hell, it really is time to stop the madness.

Faith schools should not be abolished AT ALL.

Here in the UK, we have the freedoms to practice whatever mystical traditions that we wish, from Christianity to Jedi. Removing this, is a far, far worse scenario than removing faith schools. Faith schools' curriculum should be regulated to ensure that they are in line with the National Curriculum. I'm not sure if this currently happens or not, but I hope so.

What you want, instead of an enlightened society as you preach it, is a dictatorship in which we decide what it is ok for you to believe.

Anyone who thinks yes is living in cloud cuckoo land.

While we're at it why don't we continue to teach kids that the world is flat.

Faith schools should not be abolished AT ALL.

Here in the UK, ADULTS have the freedoms to practice whatever mystical traditions that we wish, from Christianity to Jedi. Removing this, is a far, far worse scenario than removing faith schools. Faith schools' curriculum should be regulated to ensure that they are in line with the National Curriculum. I'm not sure if this currently happens or not, but I hope so.

What you want, instead of an enlightened society as you preach it, is a dictatorship in which we decide what it is ok for you to believe.[/quote]
No one suggested banning religion,the crux is access to children's minds:brain-washing,indoctrinating what ever label you put on it leads to fundamentalism,extreme examples being suicide bombings,and the North Korean version of mind-control.Non faith schools cant harm religious institutions,as parents are allowed to perpetuate the dogma,but at least it may slow the spread to vulnerable kids.People in power have always sought to control minds,from royalty to politicians,the military depend on it,the rich to ensure they stay rich,religion to protect it's hierarchy.All of them fear a public who are free to choose,to think for themselves.If you call this a dictatorship then we differ on what we class dictatorship.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.