Should political party leaders be elected by the public?

Most elections are very complex, and yet the vast majority of people will vote based on simple matters like single policies, what team they're on, which party leader is less incompetent looking etc.

Making elections even more complex certainly wouldn't help.

I like the idea in principle though, but it's so impractical.

Do you not think it open to some voting from those with no interest whatsoever other than to try and fuck a party over?

Leadership of a political party is for that party to decide as per their rules and no one else mate.

If the public want a say then they should join.
The Labour membership seem to be doing a fine job of fucking themselves over without any help from the likes of me. Let’s just leave them to it ;)

The whole thing needs looking at, but fuck all will meaningfully change for some time. Too much self-interest.

I do live in hope that our political and voting system will eventually be subject to significant overhaul within the next generation, but that’s probably rooted far more in hope than reality, and ain’t coming anytime soon, irrespective.

Im not sure the OP has thought this through?
I suspect that this another thread that is intended to provide Hard-Left Remainers with something to think about/discuss and distract from discussing the one topic that perhaps is most pertinent:

"How will Hard-Left Remain supporters bring themselves to ever be able to recognise and accept that they got it hopelessly wrong - and that is the simple reason for the election result."

I do live in hope that our political and voting system will eventually be subject to significant overhaul within the next generation, but that’s probably rooted far more in hope than reality, and ain’t coming anytime soon, irrespective.

So very badly needed - but will it happen?

Not in our lifetimes I am afraid

Currently, they're elected by their own parties - a small, peripheral group with ideas completely out of touch with the general public hence why we're getting leaders who are equally extreme and out of touch with most people.

Would it be a good idea for these groups to instead create a shortlist of candidates with the general public ultimately choosing the winner maybe at the same time they vote in a local election for example?

Only if the managers of football teams can be "elected" by fans .......so thats a no from me

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.