Should political party leaders be elected by the public?

Currently, they're elected by their own parties - a small, peripheral group with ideas completely out of touch with the general public hence why we're getting leaders who are equally extreme and out of touch with most people.

Would it be a good idea for these groups to instead create a shortlist of candidates with the general public ultimately choosing the winner maybe at the same time they vote in a local election for example?

Will the Tory one be on ITV called “The C Factor”?

Only if the managers of football teams can be "elected" by fans .......so thats a no from me

Fair enough if you don't think it's a good idea but partly the reason I suggested it is because so many people do treat political parties like football clubs which sometimes causes them to vote against their own interests and to vote for candidates least like the opposite party and it's the people who don't think political parties should be like football clubs who lose out.

Currently, they're elected by their own parties - a small, peripheral group with ideas completely out of touch with the general public hence why we're getting leaders who are equally extreme and out of touch with most people.

Would it be a good idea for these groups to instead create a shortlist of candidates with the general public ultimately choosing the winner maybe at the same time they vote in a local election for example?
I think it would be a better idea if the public were not involved in the selection at all. Not even party members being involved.

They should let the parties MPs elect the leader. MPs are in touch with their local communities and also that would prevent what has happened to both parties - them being hijacked by some faction or other. Momentum in the case of Labour and the "out, out, out, Brexit-shouting 79 year olds" in the case of the Tories.

Had the Labour party done this, we'd probably have a Labour government now. David Milliband would have won the GE in 2015 and we'd have ended austerity several years ago. And no Brexit.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.