Should we be worried about our ageing squad?

ws01

Looking through the various teams in the prem, it looks as if we're now the second oldest squad with an average age of 28.4 years, behind only QPR at 28.6 years. What I'm concerned about is that we end up with situation where we haven't taken a proper phased approach to squad rejuvenation, leaving heaps of oldies a) starting to wear out and decrease in physical ability b) needing to be replaced all at once and c) having little on-sell value to generate revenue to re-invest. Point B comes with the problem of FFP, we can go splurging huge wads of cash all in one go anymore.

So far we've sold Rodwell (23) and Garcia (27). We're further expecting to sell Nastasic (21), Richards (26), Sinclair (25) and Guidetti (22) - all players younger than our average. This of course is going to increase the age of the squad and without calculating it could become the oldest. Going through the squad in detail showing how old players will be/will be turning at the end of the season.

GK: Hart (28), Caballero (34), Wright (38) - Being a keeper Hart has plenty of years left in him at the top. Caballero we can get 2-3 more out of. Dickie Wright will probably need replacing soon by another English cheapie. Not a great area for concern IMO as Hart is still quite young

Centre Halves:
Kompany (29), Mangala (24), Demichelis (35), Boyata (25), Nastasic* (22), Rekik* (21) - Vinnie will likely see out his career here, so there's probably another 3-4 years at least in him. MDM will definitely need replacing soon, unless we can squeeze another year out him. Pressure's on Rekik to be able to step up to the plate next season given Pellers rates him and Nastasic is on the outer - there are doubts about him atm.

Fullbacks: Zabaleta (30), Sagna (32), Clichy (30), Kolarov (30), Richards* (27) - An area for concern IMO as all are 30 or above next year. Like Vin Zaba will probably see his career out here, so he's got another 3-4 at least. Would've prefered someone younger than Sagna to play back up to him given his age. We'll need 1 quality younger player on either side to come in soonish.

Midfield: Fernando (28), Fernandinho (30), Y Toure (32), Milner (29), Navas (30), Sinclair* (26), Lampard (37), Silva (29), Nasri (28), Huws* (22), Zuculini* (22), Lopes* (20) - Another slight area for concern with not one player 25 or under in the current squad. Fernandinho & Navas were good short term buys but weren't designed for longevity. Do we cash in on Yaya while he's still got decent value or do we want him to play out his days here? Lampard won't be here next season of course. 1-2 of Huws, Zuculini and Lopes really need to make it.

Forwards: Aguero (27), Jovetic (26), Dzeko (29), Negredo (30), Guidetti* (23) - Key players in Aguero and Jovetic have plenty left in them. With Dzeko being signed long term I'd make the tough decision of selling The Beast, with either a WC goal scoring winger replacing him or promoting one of our EDS players. Not a huge cause for concern.

To cut it a bit shorter, we really need to have 3-4 of the youth players step up and be able to cement their places in the squad. Majority of short-medium term players purchases from the outside would ideally be with the player 25-26 or younger, as we have would have next to no players in this bracket next year from the current playing squad.

How would you go about it? Who would you sell, keep, promote, buy etc? Do we let players run down their contracts or do we start cashing in? Interested to know how others see the process of squad rejuvenation happening. Without panicking I do thinking planning needs to be well ahead and tough decisions need to be made soon for the continued success of the first team. We really need a young core bunch playing together to maintain that culture, style of play, leadership and "ethos" (wank term I know).

No.
I find it nearly impossible to be worried about the squad when we have Txiki and Pellegrini in charge. They know exactly what they are doing.

We are hedging our bets on our quite substantial investment into the likes of Rekik, Fofana, Ntcham, Ambrose, Cole, Hiwula and so on that they will come through and at the very least be squad players. We can afford to go out every summer and purchase players as and when we need them whilst supplementing them with youth players.

No concern from me.

Not with our boys in charge of the transfers. They could have gone out with Big-P, smashed out 2 grams each, shagged a slapper from Middleton, and then pull off some serious transfer coups.

I'd be worried if we were that lot from Trafford.

I don't see a problem. Sorriano said this summer that the club plans squad building in cycles of 3, 4 or 5 years. A growing number of players play at the top level until their mid 30s now, so our present team has another 5 years or so in it - I think the club sees the present group as coming to its peak years NOW and having at least another 3 years together, but rebuilding will take place gradually over the next 3-5 years, with players brought up at the club and "big buys" so that another group of title winners comes into being without the urgency with which this one had to be built.

Even adding on months until the end of the season, a lot of the ages you have listed are/would be wrong. Poor.

Define worried?

lvggiggs.jpg

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.