Silva injured now?

silva is an essential cog in our spine, fit and with form not an issue he plays no question.

lets hope his injury is nothing that would keep him out too long

the-ecstacy-of-eight said:
Untwist Knickers Everybody. He might not even be missing for stoke, or am I reading it too optimistically? Lots of emphasis on the "precautionary" and "up coming friendly" in that article. Could be that he just gets an extra couple of days rest.
According to an article I've read he had a scan and it showed minor damage.

Therefore likely to miss Stoke away and a major doubt for Champions League

Marvin said:
the-ecstacy-of-eight said:
Untwist Knickers Everybody. He might not even be missing for stoke, or am I reading it too optimistically? Lots of emphasis on the "precautionary" and "up coming friendly" in that article. Could be that he just gets an extra couple of days rest.
According to an article I've read he had a scan and it showed minor damage.

Therefore likely to miss Stoke away and a major doubt for Champions League

Don't worry Marvin, we've got shitloads of attacking players ;).

This actually might be a strange blessing in disguise. I know that sounds mental, but hear me out...

Silva is arguably our best player. So good that you wouldn't think of not putting him in your starting line up, and ideally playing centrally. This means that when Silva is fit then we usually play a formation which resembles this:

..........DM........DM............

WF...........Silva...............WF

...................CF....................

(WF=Wide foward).

Now with Silva out, Pellegrini will be prompted to do one of two things in my opinion. Firstly he could play the same formation with the less influential Nasri. Or secondly, play with 3 centre midfielders.

For arguments sake we'll just say that Milner is that extra central midfielder, but the names are largely irrelevant to my point. Silva not being available enables us to strengthen the midfield without the backlash over "dropping" Silva. So Pellegrini could play this formation:

.......................Yaya........................

...........Ferna..............Milner.........

Aguero.................................Jovetic

....................Negredo.....................

Not quite as attacking as we could go for, but crucially stronger defensively, and given our more worrying defensive crisis, having our hand forced into said defensive formation could be a blessing in disguise, at least until our defenders regain fitness/form.

PD said:
spongebob123 said:
There's a positive to everything despite however good he is, nasri and jovetic might get regular game time.

I do wonder if he slows down the game for us. Ok, he's everywhere, always open. But I wouldn't mind seeing how different we might be without him.

Well last season when he didn't play we were shit. But I agree we have Jovetic now so it will be good to see how he plays and also a rejuvenated Nasri. Stoke away is a tough place to go I'll easily settle for a draw.

Goo said:
This actually might be a strange blessing in disguise. I know that sounds mental, but hear me out...

Silva is arguably our best player. So good that you wouldn't think of not putting him in your starting line up, and ideally playing centrally. This means that when Silva is fit then we usually play a formation which resembles this:

(WF=Wide foward).

Now with Silva out, Pellegrini will be prompted to do one of two things in my opinion. Firstly he could play the same formation with the less influential Nasri. Or secondly, play with 3 centre midfielders.

For arguments sake we'll just say that Milner is that extra central midfielder, but the names are largely irrelevant to my point. Silva not being available enables us to strengthen the midfield without the backlash over "dropping" Silva. So Pellegrini could play this formation:

Not quite as attacking as we could go for, but crucially stronger defensively, and given our more worrying defensive crisis, having our hand forced into said defensive formation could be a blessing in disguise, at least until our defenders regain fitness/form.
Jovetic has not played a single minute of football for club or country yet - but has been on the bench for City and Montenegro recently.

Can't see him being ready to start

But I like your strategy. I'd pack the midfield and ensure we dominate possession. I'd do that every game. I liked the way Mancini played. There was nothing wrong with his tactics, just his relationship with players? Wish we'd go back to the way we used to play. We know it works for our players

Marvin said:
Goo said:

(WF=Wide foward).

Jovetic has not played a single minute of football for club or country yet - but has been on the bench for City and Montenegro recently.

But I like your strategy. I'd pack the midfield and ensure we dominate possession. I'd do that every game. I liked the way Mancini played. There was nothing wrong with his tactics, just his relationship with players? Wish we'd go back to the way we used to play. We know it works for our players

Thanks.

As I said in my OP, the names at the moment are irrelevant, it's just the change in tactic I was trying to convey.

Marvin said:
I liked the way Mancini played. There was nothing wrong with his tactics, just his relationship with players? Wish we'd go back to the way we used to play. We know it works for our players

I find that to be quite a simplistic viewpoint Marv. At times we played some scintillating stuff under Mancini, particularly early in the 11/12 season, however it didn't last. Far too often we saw performances that were more like our recent match against Hull, in terms of us toiling away without really creating too much, yet still coming out on top because of the sheer quality in our side.

Silva's injury won't IMO lead to a change in system, it will just give other players an opportunity to stake their claim for a starting berth.

It's also worth baring in mind that so far Pellegrini hasn't changed the shape of the team. We played 4222 under Mancini, and we have played the same shape more or less under Pellegrini so far. The difference is in Navas playing more like a winger from the right and Silva drifting in from the left rather than Silva and Nasri both drifting in field as we saw many times last season.

Goo said:
Marvin said:
Goo said:

(WF=Wide foward).

Thanks.

As I said in my OP, the names at the moment are irrelevant, it's just the change in tactic I was trying to convey.
Milner and Rodwell have a good shout. Might be a change on the line ups we have seen to date as we have the Champions League game coming up and Pellegrini has talked about rotating.

If we play the right team, I think we can get a good result at Stoke.

just worried the injury will last longer, we don't know what will happen in upcoming days, worst? 1 weeks or more, but hope my prediction wrong, get well soon silva.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.