skrtels goal, offside?

Dubai Blue said:
lita69 said:
Probably a legitimate goal however I can see a scenario where that happens against the rags and it's ruled offside. I can also imagine the media backing them up as they usually do.
That's the fundamental problem with the vagaries of the offside rule and those in the media who choose not to understand it. As much as we can all argue about this particular scenario on here, I think we can all agree that such a goal could well be flagged offside (wrongly) and just brushed under the carpet after seeing a replay that shows Borini stood in an offside position.

I can even hear some knobhead like Trevor Francis or Ray Wilkins saying "Didn't look to be anything wrong with that on first viewing, but my word I must say that is a terrific spot by the linesman; Borini is clearly stood in an offside position when Skrtel heads the ball. An excellent call and Liverpool can have no complaints."

The rest of the sheep would then accept this as gospel and it would never be questioned ever again, with every know-nowt knobhead in the pub declaring what a good job the linesman had done.

And for what it's worth, I understood what the OP meant right from his first post even though I don't agree with him. I was a bit confused when people started berating him as it hadn't even occurred to me that he meant he was offside from the corner.

spot on post mate, and on further viewings i think it was a legit goal, just wondered what everyones angle was on it, and tactically is it something we should be looking out for, borini was in an out of harts face in a flash, and the ball in the net likewise, thanks for restoring my faith in the site, i suppose school holidays plays a part.

fathellensbellend said:
no-one is suggesting you can be offside from the corner.

I've now just watched this again. At the moment the ball is played forward ie Skirtels header, Borini under the old rules from 20 years ago is stood in an offside position but not interfering with play.

However under the new rules of offside irrespective of what Borini did before the ball was played forward, at that exact moment Skirtel connects with the ball, Borini is not interfering with Hart in anyway. He's inactive in that phase of play.

As others have said if Hart had saved it and Borini had put the ball in he would have been offside . But he didn't and the goal is just a great header and I thought as much at the time.

Mr Ed (The Stables) said:
fathellensbellend said:
no-one is suggesting you can be offside from the corner.

I've now just watched this again. At the moment the ball is played forward ie Skirtels header, Borini under the old rules from 20 years ago is stood in an offside position but not interfering with play.

However under the new rules of offside irrespective of what Borini did before the ball was played forward, at that exact moment Skirtel connects with the ball, Borini is not interfering with Hart in anyway. He's inactive in that phase of play.

As others have said if Hart had saved it and Borini had put the ball in he would have been offside . But he didn't and the goal is just a great header and I thought as much at the time.

i agree, i think it was a legit goal, but shrewd forward play, and squeezing the law to the limit, borini is close to hart and then moves away just prior to the header, so although not active certainly in harts thoughts. Cannot say i overly like the rule, to not be active in the 6 yard box and not seeking an advantage is stretching it a bit for old school fans.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.