Sleep Deprivation

For the record, the claim that Thatcher could function routinely on five hours sleep or less was a myth perpetrated by her team in an attempt to promote the sociopathic woman as somehow in possession of superhuman powers.
Nah. Denis couldn’t leave her alone.

Neither of my kids ever cried at night after the age of 14 days.
Miracle babies.

I’ve got 3 young kids and probably average about 5 hours sleep a night due to one of the little angels being awake screaming at numerous points of the night.

The odd thing is my wife seems to be fairly chirpy despite a lack of sleep but I turn into the walking dead and it is really hard to function during a day.

Do people find that’s the hardest part of parenthood?

Can my fellow bluemooners function with 5/6 hours a night like maggie thatcher or is sleeping a vital part of you not being a miserable sod?
5 hours?

Show off. ;-)

I get by on around 3-4 hours. Regularly wake up around 3 and can’t get back off. Sleep is for the weak.

5 hours is about my standard and always has been, but since I broached 50 I've benefitted from a 20 minute top up here and there

I’ve got 3 young kids and probably average about 5 hours sleep a night due to one of the little angels being awake screaming at numerous points of the night.

The odd thing is my wife seems to be fairly chirpy despite a lack of sleep but I turn into the walking dead and it is really hard to function during a day.

Do people find that’s the hardest part of parenthood?

Can my fellow bluemooners function with 5/6 hours a night like maggie thatcher or is sleeping a vital part of you not being a miserable sod?
What are you like in terms of diet, exercise and routine? I'm sure those are the kinds of things that go out of the window when you've got little kids to raise! But they're also the kinds of things that will seriously impact how fatigued you feel.

Establishing good sleep hygiene (avoiding screens in the hour or two before bed, making sure the bedroom is a comfortable temperature, going to bed and getting up at the same time every day) could help. Also doing some exercise at least a few hours before bed will help your sleep be better quality (and if it's something you can do with the kids then that might help tire them out so they sleep better too).

Some people handle sleeplessness better than others (when I'm in good health I'm perfectly functioning on 5 or 6 hours) so it might just be that your wife is lucky and you're not in that regard.

But you also might have something as simple as a deficiency in a particular vitamin or mineral that's causing you to feel worn out and making it harder to function on less sleep.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.