Slovan Bratislava (A) | CL | Post Match Thread

Did you think he looked any better?
It’s probably me but I’m enjoying our performances less for some reason. It’s so slow. We were better when McAtee came on as he and Phil started to attack their back line. Early days I suppose.
Maybe because McAtee actually moves around...

We’d laugh at rags or dippers claiming this as a record. We lost
But that's not how it works. The match played is a draw. One team ADVANCES ON SPOT KICKS. That's how the game is legislated. What's so hard to understand? Ya don't "win or lose" games on penalties. But ya do get knocked out of a tie...

Some right fucking miserable cunts on here, fuck knows what they were like in the match thread.

A huge win away from home without some of our key players, how expectations of this team have been raised when Blues complain so early in the season, even though we know how Pep works?

Not checked but are we anywhere near 13th?
Don't know about the match thread, I've been avoiding it for months...

Not really in the mood, there are a lot to be said, but a) this is not the right thread and b) I need some time to write a piece the way I want to. And time is something I don't have these days...

So let me put it this way, as briefly as poosible: All these people complaining about the CL format and the quality of our performance tonight, in what universe do they live? October 2nd, as I'm typing these lines, a mountain to climb ahead of us. If these people had any clue about the situation the team is facing, any clue at all, they would be delighted. Because our objectives tonight were accomplished at around 80-90%, I would say. I'm not going to elaborate on that, but I'm happy...

Actually I was screaming in Phil's goal (our second, 0-2). No, the game was not yet done, but you saw the impact on the opposistion. Lost most of their faith / hope, motivation dropped dramatically, very close to giving up (including their manager on the bench, his body language told the whole story). It was City's performance in the opening minutes of the match which made this happen. And we kept going, creating chances, hitting the post etc, while effectively controlling the match. With Slovan players losing their minds, terrified. Eventually they became a shadow of a team: The effect of intimidation. Again, it was us, it was City who were responsible for this. That's how far we have progressed...

Erling makes it 0-3 on 58' and we breathe. It's where the game is put to bed. And in 2 fucking minutes the man gets him the fuck out of there (same with Manuel, also expected). Which is a relief. Josko and Phil will follow on 78'. Mateo and Bernardo rested, Kyle and Jack participating for less than 15 minutes. Good! But our two young, talented, yet inexperienced wingers (plus Rico) will stay on the pitch till the end. A must win match in 4 days at home -and they're not exactly used to playing that frequently, plus they both have a history with injuries (which means, we have to be careful with them). Sure, the game in question wasn't extremely demanding (exactly because we made it easy, as I've said), it's still 90 minutes though...

With the exception of like 2 + 2 seniors (plus GKs), you have a squad that has missed preseason. You have people building fitness, you have people seeking form, you have people who have already faced let's say minor injuries and need to find their rhythme again. You also have people young and inexperienced, far away from the finished article, developing. All the above, while participating in must win official matches! Finally -and unsurprisingly- you have important, even key players who have suffered serious injuries and will be missed for weeks or months. Most importantly, you have an irrationally (let's pray we won't have to use the adverb "criminally" instead) small squad, the limitations of which in specific positions (yes, the noun in plural) are impossible to fathom...

With that in mind, tonight's match? a) Has to be won, b) adds to an extremely heavy schedule, c) since it cannot be avoided, we have to make the most of it. As I I've already said, there are people who need the minutes, each for different reasons. Pep approached the game with a calculated risk in mind, and once again his decisions were justified. Once again, the quality of his work shined. Rotation plus a lineup never tested before in an official match, still the boys fulfilled their roles and implemented the tactical instructions quite easily, almost effortlessly. Even in this unusual lineup, City were both tactically disciplined AND fluid, with the formation being a dynamic thing, evolving as we attacked, guaranteeing numerical superiority (and unpredictability) almost everywhere on the pitch. Forcing opposition to defend in numbers around their box so as to survive. An opposition starting making tactical adjustments early in the first half, continuing perhaps even more radically in the second half, yet never finding an answer. As I said, in the process they simply resigned...

I'm not saying we were perfect tonight. Because we could not be perfect, as simple as that. But the level displayed at Bratislava is not to be taken lightly. That would be idiotic, down to ignorance, arrogance, entitlement. You see, rotation is not easy. It's not superficial, like "you out, you in". It doesn't work like that. Otherwise any motherfucker operating as a manager would be able to apply it successfully. It refers to one of the most sensitive processes in modern football. It scares the shit out of managers. They cannot avoid it, they know they're practically obliged to use it, yet face serious difficulties in terms of controlling it. Extremely complicated, to say the least, for a series of reasons. If I start listing unsuccessful applications of rotation policy through the years, I will need pages. For a recent example at the very top level, how about asking Herr Hansi Flick what happened at Osanuna last weekend? Where his team conceded four (!) goals (and lost the match). With Madrid 3 points behind, as we speak, even though they did not win at the Metropolitano. Why exactly is it a given that a midfield of Ilkay, Matheus plus Phil, will work? In a must win CL match away? Why? None of these three are ready at the moment, for different reasons each. None...

To conclude this: Either we do not understand or we pretend we do not understand what is going on -and I don't know which is worse, if I'm being honest. For what is worth, the team is living dangerously -and we're only in the beginning of a very VERY long season. The team will give everything, as always, but it is a team facing serious problems, for a 5th consecutive season. Which means, the team is bound to suffer, prepare yourselves to suffer with the boys...

PS. For the well known gentleman in the media: We are currently 4th. Just saying, asshole (don't worry, tomorrow night we will drop a bit again, so you'll be happy)...

Last edited:
Lewis to foden to Mcatee!

What a wonderful moment. Three local players who are also city fans in the side means everything. Mcatee is a top prospect.
Pep has regularly praised McAtee and said his first City goal will give him a real boost. Pep described him as ‘adorable’ which is bit odd. Ours not to reason why….

To be fair to Doku & all who played (including Bratislava), after we got the third, everyone seemed to want the match to end. It was like a boxing match where the Champ was so far ahead on points, he took it easy & the shit opponent continued, merely to secure his purse money.

What makes UEFA believe matches like this will be a crowd puller? It's all about money, & staving off the challenge of the Super League. Bayern beating no marks 9-0, the bore draw against Inter & games against the likes of Bratislava, can't possibly be what UEFA had in mind to enhance European football.
The no marks who Bayern beat 9-2 were in our group the other year in the old format. Our draw against Inter was fascinating. Bratislava played 3 qualifiers to get to this stage and won them. What would you suggest? 3-3 draws every matchday?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.