Slovan Bratislava (A) | CL | Post Match Thread

Burton Albion got to the semifinal of the EFL Cup on merit, doesn’t make them any good.

It just shows that really the CL could have done with being slimmed down, not expanded. If Bratislava would have been there anyway, how bad are the teams who wouldn’t have been?

The G14 really did ruin continental football when they took money away from every nation East of Germany/Italy and awarded more and more places to Eng, Spa, Ita, Ger… it skewed the quality and it’ll never even out again.
So should Burton Albion have been banned from entering that season? Should we just start the League Cup with the previous Premier Leagues top 4 sides and go straight to the semi finals? A lot of City fans, you included are coming across as proper football snobs on here today. The game is for everyone, not the elite few.

Looking at the teams who might have a realistic chance of top 8 I would suggest -

Dortmund
Leverkusen
City
Inter
Sporting
Arsensal
Bayern
Barcelona
liverpool
Juventus
Madrid
Athletico
Benfica
PSG

That’s 14 who probably have a decent chance of hitting top 8. Given we have to play Sporting, Juventus and PSG away, that’s a pretty daunting task. I hate to think we will get an additional 2 games on top of the 2 we already have, especially given the 4 injuries we already have on a very small squad. Anyone who said we got an easy group was wrong

Looking at the teams who might have a realistic chance of top 8 I would suggest -

Dortmund
Leverkusen
City
Inter
Sporting
Arsensal
Bayern
Barcelona
liverpool
Juventus
Madrid
Athletico
Benfica
PSG

That’s 14 who probably have a decent chance of hitting top 8. Given we have to play Sporting, Juventus and PSG away, that’s a pretty daunting task. I hate to think we will get an additional 2 games on top of the 2 we already have, especially given the 4 injuries we already have on a very small squad. Anyone who said we got an easy group was wrong
I said straight away after the draw we had a hard group. Tbh I was quite dispirited by it. Fears confirmed with the 0-0 v Inter. I much prefer the old format. Too many folk more concerned about where they haven't been on away trips to Europe!
In contrast I think Arse have got a fairly easy group, they will be top 8 am sure. Us, more than likely 2 additional unwanted games. I so so so want to be wrong about that....

Dortmund
Leverkusen
City
Inter
Sporting
Arsensal
Bayern
Barcelona
liverpool
Juventus
Madrid
Athletico
Benfica
PSG

It is genuinely frightening how little respect our own fans have for our team and its achievements, we won this competition 2 years ago and were knocked out last year on pens by the eventual winners who put in the biggest shithouse performance you have ever seen up until the arsenal game and all of a sudden now we think we can go to sporting, juve and psg and get a results? Of course they will be tough games but my god it will be just as tough for them honestly its like people think we have forgotten how to play football and how to be a team.

We continuously complain about the press and how they are disrespectful to us and belittle our achievements when some of our fans are just as bad if not worse.

Why should the champions of a country, that has played 3 qualifying rounds, be nowhere near Europe’s premier tournament?
Conversely, why should teams finishing 5th be in the tournament, adding two extra games into an already packed schedule?

This is exactly what Rodri warned against. The Champions League should be for Champions or renamed more appropriately & not expanded to include the world & his best mate.

Last edited:
Conversely, why should teams finishing 5th be in the tournament, adding two extra games into an already packed schedule?

This is exactly what Rodri warned against. The Champions League should be for Champions or renamed more appropriately & not expanded to include the world & his best mate.
I completely agree. And Slovan Bratislava are the Champions of Slovenia.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.