Smart gas meters?

I loved moaning about the bills for years, every quarter kids and wife knocking things off for about a week then back to Blackpool in here and warmer than the tropics.
Moved to monthly standing order and never looked at the bills again.
The fear of looking at a box telling me how much it cost to boil the kettle just in case I fancy tea in about six hours time would fry my head.
It's a no for me I'm afraid.

Huge privacy and creeping surveillance issues with smart meters, electric more than gas tbf, but they can basically build up personal profiles which AI can end up telling them how many people are in the home and even what appliances they are using, in real time.
The Government/police/security services would inevitably demand access to this data under the guise of ‘national security’.
There have even been concerns that utility company workers could be able to use this data to snoop on people such as their ex partners etc
People in France rioted when their Government proposed making them compulsory a few years ago and quite rightly so.

I was supposed to get one with npower a few years ago but because my meter door was broke they refused to do it. When I asked them why they refused they said health and safety issues and that is was unsafe (which it wasn't!). I said the door would have to be open to access the meter anyway but they still refused.

Now npower have been took over by eon and they want to fit a smart meter but I said no thanks.

A huge pointless waste of time. We had one fitted by one supplier a few years ago. I’m not one for changing suppliers or insurance companies etc but they were starting to take the **** with prices so I changed supplier about 6 months later.

Now, you would think in the 21st century, with all the joined up technology that your “smart” meter would work with the new supplier, wouldn’t you? Not a chance - there is no common specification and once you change you are left with a dead piece of electronics.

Will only ever have a new one fitted if forced to be law. The energy industry should be ashamed of this shambles.

We had one fitted around four years ago and then as we do every year changed supplier for better tariffs. The new supplier couldn't remotely access this new meter as it was geared to the old supplier.

Our new supplier Avro who are the top bollocks of suppliers only ask we submit meter live readings monthly. Cheap rates and an on board dashboard to handle the account although they are more than happy to take calls.

Well done Avro in a proverbial sea of dinosoric soup. Only 15.5 p for each kilowatt of deliriously delicious elecktrickery. Their gas is for absolute pennies too!

Last edited:
My son had a smart meter (all electric flat but same thing) according to the meter and his bill he was doing a load of ironing, brewing up etc but never had his heating on. They wanted to charge him for looking at it on case it was faulty. He switched providers but they couldn't read the meter so they installed a normal one at no charge.
They are a joke.

All they do is give meter reads so you don’t have to do it yourself. This means your bill is always accurate. Plus you get visibility on what you use which might help you pay less if you know where you’re going wrong.

Why Smart meters cause so much push back and angst is beyond me.
Some right weird replies in here.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.