Snake Pass

I suppose it could be argued that there's an alternative in the shape of the Woodhead Pass or even the motorway. What is a scandal though is that the direct railway line that ran from Manchester to Sheffield via Glossop was axed in 1970 (with the last freight train running in 1981) in an act of commercial stupidity. The Woodhead Tunnel, a magnificent feat of Victorian engineering, has lain dormant ever since. Had it remained open, I have no doubt it would be well used today.
I did the M62/M1 route a few times in the Winter, works reasonably well but the M62 from Saddleworth Moor right through to Leeds can more often than not be stop start in the mornings. Leaving Oldham at 6-30 wasn't too bad but half an hour later setting off turned into at least an hour later getting there.

The area around Derwent / Ladybower reservoir is beautiful.

I wish I had visited when there was a drought which exposed the old ruins of Derwent village

Ahhh well it was good whilst it lasted farewell my friends I’ll see you on the other side ,nature has finally defeated me , I’ll change my user name to A57 Mottram bypass in 20 years when it finally goes ahead,

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.