So I'm mental. Let's talk about it.

I have and still have periods of anxiety. At its worst, on that particular day, I thought I was doing to die the feelings were that bad. I can’t really explain it but thank fuck for diazepam that’s all I can say as it worked almost instantly. I take tablets daily for this although I am hoping to come off these shortly. I suffer from chronic Insomnia as a result, another condition I have to take meds for. My brain rarely stops. Always thinking, always worrying, although I can control
It better now following CBT. Not sure what sparked it as I don’t recall ever feeling like this before I hit 40.

I’m a functioning mental case. The invisible illness!!

This is an exceptionally good video on the topic of OCD and anxiety disorders.

Succinct summation although that voice could give anyone anxiety. Is he in any way qualified in this field or is it a sort of layman's view? Also why does he seem to have pictures of my mother on his walls?
Also also has taking what I would imagine to be a difficult decision to share your condition with all of us helped you at all? I have always enjoyed your posts and without wishing to sound too sycophantic have also learned from many of them so I was interested as I imagine many other BMers are.

Succinct summation although that voice could give anyone anxiety. Is he in any way qualified in this field or is it a sort of layman's view? Also why does he seem to have pictures of my mother on his walls?
Also also has taking what I would imagine to be a difficult decision to share your condition with all of us helped you at all? I have always enjoyed your posts and without wishing to sound too sycophantic have also learned from many of them so I was interested as I imagine many other BMers are.

Hank Green is a biochemist by training although he produces Crash Course by getting experts to write and check over the scripts. It's a good series but you need to get used to the humour and voices of the Green brothers which could strip paint at times.

It's definitely helped in a few ways to talk about it.

My biggest concern before writing this is that it would give ammunition to people that I have heated debates with to ignore what I'm saying and mock me, or even worse, not want to engage in heated debates because they feel sorry for me. Across Bluemoon and Twitter where it was shared pretty widely, I've not had a single negative comment and nobody has outwardly changed their view towards me which is great. People who think I'm acting a dick or full of shit still tell me I'm acting a dick or full of shit with the same ferocity which was a major concern. If anything it humanised me to others and made me more relatable. The amount of private messages that I've received showing support or talking about their own experiences really made me feel like this was the right decision and that mental health issues are more common than I imagined and more varied across a wide range of people I've come to know and respect online. The fact that guys like Ric and Ahsan didn't want to work with me any less or weren't worried about burdening me with work any more than they usually are was a really huge deal to me. Ste Tudor who was the inspiration behind the article in the first place has been just brilliant aswell and without his original article then there's a high probability that I never would have written anything in the first place.

I'm not a victim and don't want to be treated like one and the reaction has been somewhat overwhelming in its positivity. I couldn't have asked for anything more from the City fan community which is something that IS a genuinely important aspect of my life and something I'm proud to be involved in for all the madness that it sometimes brings. Being a City fan is part of my identity, more than just quite liking watching some people kick a ball around, and not losing face in that community or being treated like an invalid is quite liberating in a way.

Writing it all down also made me self-reflect on my problem in a way that I'd never really done before. Previously I'd try to explain certain things to people as if they were isolated incidents rather than a whole and now that I can link certain things together has made me look at my own decision making with a much improved clarity. I'm better at writing things clearly than talking about them sometimes and being able to show loved ones how it all works in my head has made them feel like they understand me and how their support has always helped me. Being able to really quantify the problem in almost a list based form has been healthy aswell in recognising my own negative behaviours, it helped me recognise things that I didn't really consider as compulsive behaviours or rituals but now are.

Overall it has been a really positive experience and I've got a lot out of it both in terms of my own mind but also in how many others have shared their stories or said it made them understand the disorder a little better. It's too early for me to say this with any certainty but I get the feeling that this is one of those things that I'll look back on in the future as a major point in fighting against OCD and recovering from it.

Hank Green is a biochemist by training although he produces Crash Course by getting experts to write and check over the scripts. It's a good series but you need to get used to the humour and voices of the Green brothers which could strip paint at times.

My biggest concern before writing this is that it would give ammunition to people that I have heated debates with to ignore what I'm saying and mock me, or even worse, not want to engage in heated debates because they feel sorry for me. Across Bluemoon and Twitter where it was shared pretty widely, I've not had a single negative comment and nobody has outwardly changed their view towards me which is great. People who think I'm acting a dick or full of shit still tell me I'm acting a dick or full of shit with the same ferocity which was a major concern. If anything it humanised me to others and made me more relatable. The amount of private messages that I've received showing support or talking about their own experiences really made me feel like this was the right decision and that mental health issues are more common than I imagined and more varied across a wide range of people I've come to know and respect online. The fact that guys like Ric and Ahsan didn't want to work with me any less or weren't worried about burdening me with work any more than they usually are was a really huge deal to me. Ste Tudor who was the inspiration behind the article in the first place has been just brilliant aswell and without his original article then there's a high probability that I never would have written anything in the first place.

I'm not a victim and don't want to be treated like one and the reaction has been somewhat overwhelming in its positivity. I couldn't have asked for anything more from the City fan community which is something that IS a genuinely important aspect of my life and something I'm proud to be involved in for all the madness that it sometimes brings. Being a City fan is part of my identity, more than just quite liking watching some people kick a ball around, and not losing face in that community or being treated like an invalid is quite liberating in a way.

Writing it all down also made me self-reflect on my problem in a way that I'd never really done before. Previously I'd try to explain certain things to people as if they were isolated incidents rather than a whole and now that I can link certain things together has made me look at my own decision making with a much improved clarity. I'm better at writing things clearly than talking about them sometimes and being able to show loved ones how it all works in my head has made them feel like they understand me and how their support has always helped me. Being able to really quantify the problem in almost a list based form has been healthy aswell in recognising my own negative behaviours, it helped me recognise things that I didn't really consider as compulsive behaviours or rituals but now are.

Overall it has been a really positive experience and I've got a lot out of it both in terms of my own mind but also in how many others have shared their stories or said it made them understand the disorder a little better. It's too early for me to say this with any certainty but I get the feeling that this is one of those things that I'll look back on in the future as a major point in fighting against OCD and recovering from it.

Well said. It has shown you and all of us really that we are all affected by some mental issues. It is good to talk about it. I wish you well and everybody else, myself included, in dealing with the cards we have been dealt.

We will all continue to get on each other’s cases just as vitriolic as we always did. You fucker.

I am genuinely pleased for you that the experience has been positive. Thankyou for your response. Additionally I think that you will have helped many fellow City fans as well.
One thing I took from the video was the idea that the repetive behaviour in some way gave the OCD traction so avoiding the avoiding empowers you.

I saw a programme many years ago about the crippling effects it can have and the therapy involved encouraging fairly strongly the particiapnt who had to keep washing her hands to get them very dirty and not wash them. "Oh look, nothing bad happened" Not much science invovled IIRC but it seemed quite brutal at the time even if it had at least some short term benefits.

I wish you well.

Last edited:
Inspired by an article wrote by @Lucky Toma a little while back and Mental Health Awareness campaign, I wrote about living with OCD.

Article is here

http://www.thedaisycutter.co.uk/2018/10/im-mental-lets-talk-life-ocd/

I'm pretty sure I've heard them all so feel free to get them out of your system.

In seriousness, I'm pretty nervous about this as I'm an obsessively private person at the best of times so if you could not be bastards about this then that would be great.

The article covers what OCD is, how it works, how it affects my life and is an attempt to have the same impact on somebody out there that Stes article did with me.

Top piece that mate.

Good on ya.

Inspired by an article wrote by @Lucky Toma a little while back and Mental Health Awareness campaign, I wrote about living with OCD.

Article is here

http://www.thedaisycutter.co.uk/2018/10/im-mental-lets-talk-life-ocd/

I'm pretty sure I've heard them all so feel free to get them out of your system.

In seriousness, I'm pretty nervous about this as I'm an obsessively private person at the best of times so if you could not be bastards about this then that would be great.

The article covers what OCD is, how it works, how it affects my life and is an attempt to have the same impact on somebody out there that Stes article did with me.
Nice one for that! I think you have made it pretty clear there how hard it is dealing with OCD, and that is not something easy to do at all!

For some reason it is really refreshing to know other people are going/have gone through the same things. I used to think I was actually insane. Thank you for opening up and sharing your feelings and thoughts. Certainly been a help to me

How do I intruduce this thread to the beautiful mrs this! without getting twatted? The ocd need for total contol is ringing the alarm bells...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.