So many changes in the squad with no loss of quality

I was watching a Youtube vid of the last game of the season in May 2022, Villa at home and was surprised that so many of the squad had now left the club. 5 of the starting 11and the 3 subs. To lose 8 players within 18 months with no apparent loss of form is amazing and a testament to the quality of Pep and his staff.
We are indeed very good, but not unique in this regard.
Real Madrid also has done very good in replacing the aging squad. I have to admit that even though I hate those bastard. I hope we'll kick them out of CL again, and Girona will make them fail in La Liga, too.

Thought Kovacic looked class in the 1st couple of games until Rodri got his 3 game ban & since then regressed into his Chelsea form. I wonder if being a former Chelsea player was the reason for his headless chicken performance & should be serving a 3 game ban. He looked better against a very open Bournemouth team. When everyone is fit we look to have better options off the bench compared to last season & Rodri playing the majority of the season probably defines how successful we are.

I think Arse finish above all the other teams you mention

Agree with you re the geordies, I omitted them as we played them when they were in a slump but I think they’ll be top 4 again at least
Last years top 4 (3 opposing teams) we took 13 pts from 18, we have 6 from 9 now, with 9 to grab; it’s merely following the same trajectory…. We win copious titles because our mean remains the same under Pep, scarily so…

What separates us is the grind in key periods, nobody, other than an anomaly from the dippers, can put runs together in the same manner; it’s our fear factor from opposing clubs, they have to be flawless to accumulate point totals like we do and it’s not enough in most instances when they do…

Last years top 4 (3 opposing teams) we took 13 pts from 18, we have 6 from 9 now, with 9 to grab; it’s merely following the same trajectory…. We win copious titles because our mean remains the same under Pep, scarily so…

What separates us is the grind in key periods, nobody, other than an anomaly from the dippers, can put runs together in the same manner; it’s our fear factor from opposing clubs, they have to be flawless to accumulate point totals like we do and it’s not enough in most instances when they do…
Totally agree with the general gist of your comment.

The obvious flaw in the points v top 3 opposing teams argument though is that the rags don’t count this year, so logic says we substitute the dippers for them. In which case we currently only have 3 points from 2 games which is 3 points fewer than in the corresponding games last season.

I don’t want to come across as a doom n gloom merchant i just tend to err on the side of caution particularly so early in the season

Totally agree with the general gist of your comment.

The obvious flaw in the points v top 3 opposing teams argument though is that the rags don’t count this year, so logic says we substitute the dippers for them. In which case we currently only have 3 points from 2 games which is 3 points fewer than in the corresponding games last season.

I don’t want to come across as a doom n gloom merchant i just tend to err on the side of caution particularly so early in the season
Logic has to be measured on previous standings, until proven otherwise after the same 38 matches

Logic has to be measured on previous standings, until proven otherwise after the same 38 matches
To a certain extent that’s correct but at some point the current reality has to be factored in. If I were to lay you odds now on Utd finishing top four you’d want a very generous price I’d imagine.

I think Arse finish above all the other teams you mention

Agree with you re the geordies, I omitted them as we played them when they were in a slump but I think they’ll be top 4 again at least
Arsenal could well blow up under Arteta, already showing the pressure and winter is still on the horizon.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.