'Soccer'

CheesySmoker

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-08-15/in-soccer-america-s-team-is-european.html/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-08-15/in-so ... pean.html/</a>

Interesting read, if not for the time difference I bet the Prem would be huge over in the states. I for one would embrace football becoming the number one sport in the US, I bet they would produce some quality players.

I can't ever see football dislodging baseball, the NFL, or basketball, but it can make a big three, become a big four, where they're all very well appreciated, and move ahead of hockey.

Having lived here for 11 months and been to a handful of New England Revolution games, I can only say the quality on the pitch is poor, leading to crowds of around 10 - 12,000 (doesn't help that the stadium is in the middle of nowhere with no public transport to get there!)

You only have to look at the 1970's US Soccer league with Pele, Bobby Moore, Tueart etc etc etc.
In short it was a circus that people came to see, but once the main acts left, so did the audience. I actually enjoy the atmosphere at the Revs games (despite the crap songs sung!) in terms of there is a genuine hardcore trying to keep it going.
It's a balancing act of not solely having a product based on certain players from abroad performing like seals that will bring crowds in and nurturing and developing a league that doesn't have the glamour therefore the smaller crowds too.
The media doesn't help. Here in Boston, you have the big 4 teams - Patriots, Red Sox, Bruins and Celtics.
The hostility to the Revs in the local media is very evident in their complete blanking of the team. Yet the football, baseball, ice hockey and basketball get wall to wall coverage on local stations / news.
Evidence of this was local news stations were reporting on the Liverpool v Roma game last month at the Red Sox stadium 3 days before and every day leading up to the game - it was big news. The Revs score from one of those evenings wasn't even given out and it never is.

Anyone thinking the MEN has an agenda against City should be a Revs fan and feel the agenda against ''soccer'' from newspapers / TV and radio stations!

Unknown_Genius said:
I can't ever see football dislodging baseball, the NFL, or basketball, but it can make a big three, become a big four, where they're all very well appreciated, and move ahead of hockey.

I reckon this is the most likely scenario. The established 'big 3' are too deeply forged into the nation's DNA to ever be under any meaningful threat from the rise of 'soccer', but I have posted for some time now that football is about to explode stateside.

I think that we are likely to see a US team reach the World Cup Final in the next 20 years. Their facilities and the currency of sporting achievement in their national culture will see to that.

Once they've got a realistic sniff they'll go into overdrive.

Great timing from a City perspective as our merchandise will be sold in a country of conspicuous spending where the snide gear that proliferates in Asia won't present any meaningful problems. The OP is correct, however. The time difference will place a limiting factor on this market.

Everyday the United States becomes more and more ethnic. Football continues to grow slow and steady. Basketball is becoming a farce, baseball is fun to watch but offers little action in a "quick fix" society. It might take 30 years, but it will happen. (At least be ONE OF the most watched sports in America.

unlikelyfan19 said:
Everyday the United States becomes more and more ethnic. Football continues to grow slow and steady. Basketball is becoming a farce, baseball is fun to watch but offers little action in a "guick fix" society. It might take 30 years, but it will happen. (At least be ONE OF the most watched sports in America.
Good one

unlikelyfan19 said:
Everyday the United States becomes more and more ethnic. Football continues to grow slow and steady. Basketball is becoming a farce, baseball is fun to watch but offers little action in a "guick fix" society. It might take 30 years, but it will happen. (At least be ONE OF the most watched sports in America.

I've noticed that.... too many foreigners being let in....

greasedupdeafguy said:
unlikelyfan19 said:
Good one

It really is a fun day out if you go to a game. Good food, relaxing. You will just have to take my word for it.

JM Mcr said:
Didn't Seattle Sounders average over 41,000 in the league last season? A decent sized support in any league in the world.
Much like auto racing or ice hockey in US/North America, soccer/football is popular in certain areas of the country, unlike football or baseball or basketball which are pretty much universally popular. The northwest in particular is a football hotbed.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.