'Soccer'

It'll never be bigger than American Football, Ice Hockey, Baseketball and even baseball. Even college American football is massive.

It would be like Americans saying they could make baseball the biggest in England, it would never ever happen.

It's a growing sport there and becoming more popular, which is only a good thing.

The only way I can see it becoming popular is if they times the goals by x5. They make think it's high scoring then like American Football

CheesySmoker said:
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-08-15/in-soccer-america-s-team-is-european.html/

Interesting read, if not for the time difference I bet the Prem would be huge over in the states. I for one would embrace football becoming the number one sport in the US, I bet they would produce some quality players.
What's the time difference got to do with it? Do you think games are broadcasting the middle of the night or something?

Crouchinho said:
It would be like Americans saying they could make baseball the biggest in England, it would never ever happen.

Poor example. Football is the most popular sport in the World. Baseball has hardly scratched the surface of what football has achieved in terms of expanding its reach throughout the Globe.

It is the world's most popular sport for a reason. It's better than all the others.

Football will prevail in the States.

gordondaviesmoustache said:
Crouchinho said:

Poor example. Football is the most popular sport in the World. Baseball has hardly scratched the surface of what football has achieved in terms of expanding its reach throughout the Globe.

It is the world's most popular sport for a reason. It's better than all the others.

I think the problems is that broadcasters don't really like the idea of 45 minutes without commercials. Rules of games are changed to suit US broadcasters.

Football will take off over in The US, but still maintaining the current infrastructure, not having to get rid of the Salary Capping which attracts more big names.

It will take off as the game is so popular amongst children (boys+girls) playing the game and many women (who have children)
This encourages an understanding of the sport and a preference in choosing which sport to watch and participate in (when they become adults and look into which sport to choose for their children)

This cycle can only prosper The MLS, increasing spectators and the quality of player who will accept the salary.

The downside for them is that the best players will just come over here in their prime, which already happens anyway (but happens in most leagues, including Brazil/Argentina etc)

Will it overtake NBA/NFL/NHL/MLB? no... not for a long time, like 50/60 years when as said, a whole generation of family has played/playing "Soccer" and has had no connection with ice hockey or baseball.

I love watching NHL, I watch it quite a bit, but I don't watch the Hockey League over here because the standard isn't as high.. Simples.
This is what many people will still be thinking over in the states: I'm watching the worlds best in The NBA, the worlds best in NHL, what's this MLS shit?
I'll just go and watch "The EPL"

Why Always Ste said:
Football will take off over in The US, but still maintaining the current infrastructure, not having to get rid of the Salary Capping which attracts more big names.

It will take off as the game is so popular amongst children (boys+girls) playing the game and many women (who have children)
This encourages an understanding of the sport and a preference in choosing which sport to watch and participate in (when they become adults and look into which sport to choose for their children)

This cycle can only prosper The MLS, increasing spectators and the quality of player who will accept the salary.

The downside for them is that the best players will just come over here in their prime, which already happens anyway (but happens in most leagues, including Brazil/Argentina etc)

Will it overtake NBA/NFL/NHL/MLB? no... not for a long time, like 50/60 years when as said, a whole generation of family has played/playing "Soccer" and has had no connection with ice hockey or baseball.

I love watching NHL, I watch it quite a bit, but I don't watch the Hockey League over here because the standard isn't as high.. Simples.
This is what many people will still be thinking over in the states: I'm watching the worlds best in The NBA, the worlds best in NHL, what's this MLS shit?
I'll just go and watch "The EPL"

Great post that Ste.

prairiemoon said:
CheesySmoker said:
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-08-15/in-soccer-america-s-team-is-european.html/

Interesting read, if not for the time difference I bet the Prem would be huge over in the states. I for one would embrace football becoming the number one sport in the US, I bet they would produce some quality players.
What's the time difference got to do with it? Do you think games are broadcasting the middle of the night or something?

The Community Shield game kicked off 8.30am on the east coast, so in California it would have been 5.30am (fuck knows what time it was in Hawaii!!! Probably 1.30am!)

A 3pm Saturday kick off (like we have many of them) is 10am east coast, 7am west coast.
For the last derby it was 3pm east coast and noon in California on a Monday. I would have had to taken the afternoon off (fortunately wasn't working at the time) but on the west coast, a day would have been taken off for it (pre game drinks etc ;)

Crouchinho said:

It's not a poor example at all, or you miss the point completely. I wasn't trying to make baseball out to be huge or anything, I was just comparing a national sport trying to conquer another country.

I know football is the best, it's my favourite sport too.

You could throw baseball at the UK all day long, week in week out, for decades, but it would never surpass football.

You could throw football at the Aussies, but it's never going to overtake cricket or Aussie rules.

Football could never overtake America, just like footy can't overtake ice hockey in Canada. We can make it bigger there but it would never conquer it

Crouchinho said:
Crouchinho said:

It's not a poor example at all, or you miss the point completely. I wasn't trying to make baseball out to be huge or anything, I was just comparing a national sport trying to conquer another country.

I know football is the best, it's my favourite sport too.

You could throw baseball at the UK all day long, week in week out, for decades, but it would never surpass football.

You could throw football at the Aussies, but it's never going to overtake cricket or Aussie rules.

Football could never overtake America, just like footy can't overtake ice hockey in Canada. We can make it bigger there but it would never conquer it

Ok well we're at cross purposes mate. I said prevail in the sense of holding its own rather than obliterating all in its path. We're probably not a million miles apart then on this!

That's how arguments get started in pubs!

unlikelyfan19 said:
greasedupdeafguy said:
unlikelyfan19 said:
Everyday the United States becomes more and more ethnic. Football continues to grow slow and steady. Basketball is becoming a farce, baseball is fun to watch but offers little action in a "guick fix" society. It might take 30 years, but it will happen. (At least be ONE OF the most watched sports in America.
Good one

It really is a fun day out if you go to a game. Good food, relaxing. You will just have to take my word for it.

If I want a good day out with good food and a relaxation, I'd go to a country pub and sit outside all day - not watching a game of rounders with ''we will rock you'' booming out every time another bloke with a bat comes out to miss the ball!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.