'Soccer'

Mad Eyed Screamer said:
prairiemoon said:
CheesySmoker said:
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-08-15/in-soccer-america-s-team-is-european.html/

Interesting read, if not for the time difference I bet the Prem would be huge over in the states. I for one would embrace football becoming the number one sport in the US, I bet they would produce some quality players.
What's the time difference got to do with it? Do you think games are broadcasting the middle of the night or something?

The Community Shield game kicked off 8.30am on the east coast, so in California it would have been 5.30am (fuck knows what time it was in Hawaii!!! Probably 1.30am!)

A 3pm Saturday kick off (like we have many of them) is 10am east coast, 7am west coast.
For the last derby it was 3pm east coast and noon in California on a Monday. I would have had to taken the afternoon off (fortunately wasn't working at the time) but on the west coast, a day would have been taken off for it (pre game drinks etc ;)

Some of the games are pretty rough to wake up for over here. For the demolition derby I think I had to wake up around 4am to get to the pub for a 4:45am kickoff. I have a lot of early mornings during the season waking up to watch football. CL games are especially rough because they're on mid-day during the week while most people are working.

Mad Eyed Screamer said:
prairiemoon said:
CheesySmoker said:
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-08-15/in-soccer-america-s-team-is-european.html/

Interesting read, if not for the time difference I bet the Prem would be huge over in the states. I for one would embrace football becoming the number one sport in the US, I bet they would produce some quality players.
What's the time difference got to do with it? Do you think games are broadcasting the middle of the night or something?

The Community Shield game kicked off 8.30am on the east coast, so in California it would have been 5.30am (fuck knows what time it was in Hawaii!!! Probably 1.30am!)

A 3pm Saturday kick off (like we have many of them) is 10am east coast, 7am west coast.
For the last derby it was 3pm east coast and noon in California on a Monday. I would have had to taken the afternoon off (fortunately wasn't working at the time) but on the west coast, a day would have been taken off for it (pre game drinks etc ;)
Yeah, true enough, but that's what DVRs are for. And replays.

prairiemoon said:
Mad Eyed Screamer said:
prairiemoon said:

Yeah, true enough, but that's what DVRs are for. And replays.

No. It's what sick days are for ;)

I'm still of the opinion that before too long, the US will become a serious power in the international game.

Their resources in numbers are largely unparalleled. It'd only take a freak World Cup run to really accelerate their progress in youth and investment.

Hasn't it taken over hockey as a spectator sport in the US?

prairiemoon said:
The majority of the country is pretty removed from ice hockey.

Hmm, Funny how the only sport I can tolerate to watch over there is The NHL.
I love it, reminds me of The Prem on Ice.

Article here guys in the NY Times

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/18/sports/soccer/manchester-city-in-spotlight-as-premier-league-opens.html?_r=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/18/sport ... .html?_r=1</a>

Interesting in that you see a short glimpse of where the sport is heading, the marketers are targeting the morning viewers... Much like I became Serie A obsessed as a child due to watching the league on Channel4 in the mornings.

For many teams a middle-of-the-pack finish would represent a successful campaign. It is all about to start, with numerous games now broadcast live on weekend mornings across the United States.

In that regard, the English Premier League now extends from London to Los Angeles. So as American fans would say: play ball.

ultimateharold said:
I'm still of the opinion that before too long, the US will become a serious power in the international game.

Their resources in numbers are largely unparalleled. It'd only take a freak World Cup run to really accelerate their progress in youth and investment.

Hasn't it taken over hockey as a spectator sport in the US?

The Boston Bruins is a sell out every game (17,500) and could fill it twice over - all the kids around me wear a Bruins T shirt / cap.

I'm the only one in the village who has been to a New England Revolution game that I know of and purposely bought a Revs cap to wear simply because it wasn't a Red Sox / Pats / Bruins / Celtics cap....

The Revs struggle to get 12,000 in a 68,000 stadium

Good thread, and good OP.

The thing America is missing is the thing you can't manufacture, but can't quite put your finger on. For example, come Sunday morning I'm going to be buzzing about finally seeing my team play at Eastlands since we won that historic match with THAT historic goal. We're going to park in our usual spot, cross the road at the same place we've crossed for the last 10 or so years, walk past where The Bradford used to be and hopefully see us beat Southampton in what I see is revenge for them beating us in our last day at Maine Road. This kind of 'tradition', though still young at Eastlands, is something I hope to follow for a long time. A good example of this is Dog Poo Alley at Maine Road. Everyone knew what it was, but the club didn't create it. Nobody can explain why it became colloquially known as Dog Poo Alley, it just was. Just like the 'famous Kop atmosphere', West Ham fans singing "I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles" and the almost-fabled idea of walking down Wembley Way. It's a feeling created by the fans, by history. No amount of PR or posters or 'gimmicks' is going to create this kind feeling. Call it a culture clash or whatever, I just can't see football taking off in America.

Are there any club rivalries in the MLS?

Why Always Ste said:
prairiemoon said:
The majority of the country is pretty removed from ice hockey.

Hmm, Funny how the only sport I can tolerate to watch over there is The NHL.
I love it, reminds me of The Prem on Ice.

Article here guys in the NY Times

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/18/sports/soccer/manchester-city-in-spotlight-as-premier-league-opens.html?_r=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/18/sport ... .html?_r=1</a>

Interesting in that you see a short glimpse of where the sport is heading, the marketers are targeting the morning viewers... Much like I became Serie A obsessed as a child due to watching the league on Channel4 in the mornings.

For many teams a middle-of-the-pack finish would represent a successful campaign. It is all about to start, with numerous games now broadcast live on weekend mornings across the United States.

In that regard, the English Premier League now extends from London to Los Angeles. So as American fans would say: play ball.
Well, they've been on in the morning for years now. Not like in the 90s when it was on late at night, or the wee hours of the morning.

4 leagues, 6-8 games every weekend, 2 DVRs. My wife and kids know the score.

I think soccer will overtake hockey in the next 5 years. NFL, MLB, NBA..that will be difficult f ever. And I say that because of high school athletics.

Btw, I've been involved in and overheard this conversation in pubs around the country with growing regularity the last couple of years. I used to be the guy in the corner watching the game alone, now more and more people take interest. I still have to explain the game, but they're interested!

Dzeko's Right Boot said:
Good thread, and good OP.

The thing America is missing is the thing you can't manufacture, but can't quite put your finger on. For example, come Sunday morning I'm going to be buzzing about finally seeing my team play at Eastlands since we won that historic match with THAT historic goal. We're going to park in our usual spot, cross the road at the same place we've crossed for the last 10 or so years, walk past where The Bradford used to be and hopefully see us beat Southampton in what I see is revenge for them beating us in our last day at Maine Road. This kind of 'tradition', though still young at Eastlands, is something I hope to follow for a long time. A good example of this is Dog Poo Alley at Maine Road. Everyone knew what it was, but the club didn't create it. Nobody can explain why it became colloquially known as Dog Poo Alley, it just was. Just like the 'famous Kop atmosphere', West Ham fans singing "I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles" and the almost-fabled idea of walking down Wembley Way. It's a feeling created by the fans, by history. No amount of PR or posters or 'gimmicks' is going to create this kind feeling. Call it a culture clash or whatever, I just can't see football taking off in America.

Are there any club rivalries in the MLS?

There are but the distances between most means that fans do not travel.
The New England Revolution's (based just outside of Boston) nearest teams are New York Red Bulls followed by Montreal!
New York to Boston is the equivalent of London to Manchester. They played each other the other Sunday evening (7.30pm!!) and NY bought 150 fans!

A fair few Revs fans will go to Montreal and make a weekend of it in Canada, but still only taking one hundred odd or so - and a fair few of them living on the Maine / Vermont / Canadian border so not far to travel

To be honest, it is great to go to a game knowing you are not going to get your head kicked in, but then again, sometimes that little edge about the game creates something unique and that is an ingredient missing that you talk about

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.