Sol Campbell court case

skyblue1894

Heard about the court case today regarding the homophobic chants at the Portsmouth v Spurs game. Some got 3 year banning orders & court costs & others got cautions.

Does anyone know what they were signing/chanting & was it any different or any worse than the treatment O'Shea got last week warming up at the swamp? I know O'Shea took it well with the sly V's & Campbell obviously didn't but where is the line drawn on player abuse?

Discuss..

The chant in question was racist, homophobic and mocked him being mentally unstable. It sets a worrying precedent for football fans though.

I've seen the chants somewhere, not sure I am allowed to post them on here though. Who decides what is and isn't offensive, if Campbell had not been so upset would anything have been done? What if O'Shea had said that the chants aimed at him had caused him harm, would we all be looking at a charge? Like the previous post it does set a worrying precedent.

Dobsy87 said:
The chant in question was racist, homophobic and mocked him being mentally unstable.

It's arguable that it was racist, although I'm sure some of those singing it would have thought so.

Not sure about this, to pull a dozen supporters out of a football match (including a 13 and 14 year old from memory) and arrest them for chanting when there would have been many more doing it strikes me as a bit wrong.

Take action to stamp it out by all means, but I'm not sure arrests and court cases are the way to go.

moomba said:
Dobsy87 said:
The chant in question was racist, homophobic and mocked him being mentally unstable.

It's arguable that it was racist, although I'm sure some of those singing it would have thought so.

Not sure about this, to pull a dozen supporters out of a football match (including a 13 and 14 year old from memory) and arrest them for chanting when there would have been many more doing it strikes me as a bit wrong.

Take action to stamp it out by all means, but I'm not sure arrests and court cases are the way to go.

I think a 14 year old was one of the ones to be given a 3 year ban.

Thinking about this, an individual would be banned for making racist or homophobic remarks, so it is consistent. I can't really think of any chants that go anywhere near this except for the ones at O'Shea that would count as homophobic.

The chant was not racist, it was homophobic apparently and went to the tune of Lord of The Dance, can we not repeat it on here???

Don's tin hat.

mauriziogaudino said:
The chant was not racist, it was homophobic apparently and went to the tune of Lord of The Dance, can we not repeat it on here???

Don's tin hat.

Is there any real need to repeat it?

Truth is if you chanted or shouted it at anyone in the street it would be an offence so the fact that loads of people are doing it at the same time is no defence .

Dobsy87 said:
Thinking about this, an individual would be banned for making racist or homophobic remarks, so it is consistent. I can't really think of any chants that go anywhere near this except for the ones at O'Shea that would count as homophobic.

The Torres song changed and sung by Everton fans (posted on this forum many times on song threads) probably falls into this category!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.